Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Making travel plans for First Time trip to NYC in October!

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling with my mother-in-law to NYC for 9 days in October. Our housing recently fell through and so I need to find a hotel -- we had planned to fly into Newark, based on our previous housing arrangements. Having to pay for a hotel certainly cuts into our budget! I have been reading about taking the PATH? into NYC if we stay near the airport (in Elizabeth? -- or should we stay elsewhere?) to save on hotel costs....is this going to be a nightmare -- getting to/from the city? Seems we have to take hotel shuttle to airport and make a couple of bus changes to get to the PATH? I am confused! What hotels would you recommend.....the ratings don't help a bunch! We just need an average, clean room as we won't be there much.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Satying near the airport is a terrible idea. If you stay in a hotel near a PATH train in Jersey City and use Newark airport that's ok. If you use JFK or LGA, a hotel in Long Island City near a subway station (Verve, Vetiver, Fairfield Inn Queensborough Bridge, Comfort Inn) that's ok.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! That helps a lot. After hunting around, I think we'll switch and fly into LGA -- seems staying in the Long Island City area would be sooooo much easier. We'll be there 9 days. You have mentioned a few hotels (Thank you!!) - are there any that you would recommend AGAINST as far as safety etc.?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Not a safety issue - but you need to understand that much of LICC is a mixed use area - budget motels mixed in with warehouses, auto body shops, etc - and fast food places - but not a lot of services.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:21 PM

There are quite a few hotels in Long island that are not near enough to a subway station. Before you book, plot the hotel on maps.google.com and look for blue "m"s which are subway stations. There are some nice hotels closer to the East River with nice views of Manhattan, but these require a longer walk from the subway or depending on a hotel shuttle, not a good idea.

The only thing easier about LIC vs Jersey City is you're using the NYC subway system vs the PATH train which will have an extra cost. But a hotel like the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City will be nicer than any of the hotels in. Long Island City. I'm not pushing one over the other, just explaining pros and cons.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Be careful with Jersey City as parts of it can be dicey. I recommend the Hyatt on Hudson, Courtyard Marriott Jersey City or Candlewood Suites Jersey City. On the very low end of the budget, there is the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel, it is located a block away from PATH.. BUT it has mixed reviews. For 9 days, I would avoid it.

My company has offices in JC and I do all of the corporate travel there, so this is where this recommendations are coming from.

On that note, the guys who live there, live in Hoboken and LOVE it. They tell me how cute the area is, like a mini NYC and how fast and easy it is to get to the city. Also, you can't beat the view (especially from the Hyatt on Hudson! I send our executives there often).

Good luck!
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 08:28 AM

I'd second the warning that some of the hotels in Long Island City are not near a subway. And at this late day you may simply not be able to find a good one. Most have been booked for weeks or months. Please book something immediately.

If you can't find anything in Long Island City, there are a couple of decent hotels further out in Queens, including a La Quinta Inn and a Quality Inn, both on Queens Boulevad. These are both in safe but uninspiring working-class residential neighborhoods that are reasonably close to local subway stops on the 7 train, offering a ride of about 15 to Grand Central, 20 minutes or Times Square. They are likely to be among your cheapest lodging options and are much better than anything in NJ.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so after reading these responses and hunting until I'm crazy tired...does the Vetiver seem like a reasonable choice?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Yes.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:01 PM

I agree that it's well located, but the warnings about noise area also probably well founded. The N Train runs above ground on an elevated track. Some rooms are the hotel are likely to be quiet noisy while some on the opposite side of building may not be. This may or may not be a problem for you.

I wouldn't worry much about the "feel" of the neighborhood. It's semi-industrial and not attractive, but it's reasonably safe. But there's just not much around ... though the Broadway stop on the N line is just a few stops away and has a very nice range of restaurants and shops.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thank you all so very much for your help!! I really appreciate it. Making this trip happen for my narcissistic mother-in-law is stressful enough - much less having housing fall through at the last minute. Again - thank you thank you & wish ME luck!
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:12 PM

Narcissistic MIL may not appreciate Long Island City. Prepare her. The movie Julie & Julia is good fun and Julie lives in LIC. Rent it for her.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Are you sure you can't afford to stay in the city? Have you searched?
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Long Island City IS in the city. It's a much better location than NJ, offering direct access to the New York City subway. Staying in Manhattan isn't really that important to having a successful trip, but staying in NYC is.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM

LIC is in the "city" but not in the "City" - as in Manhattan.

But the OP has not given a price - but I asume City hotels cost too much - or why wold theyhave ben looking at the disaster that is Elizabeth?
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hez

Don't forget to factor in the cost, both money and time, of staying out there. Sometimes it's worth spending more on a well located hotel so you're not spending a ton of money on transportation, and huge amounts of time getting there and back.

Do you have any frequent flyer or frequent stay points you could use?
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM

I'm always the first person to recommend people stay in Manhattan ... I agree that it's the best place. But I think people also need to be realistic. Not everyone can afford (or will want to afford) to spend that much on lodging.

It takes no more time to get to most of the tourist destinations in Manhattan from Long Island City, Queens, than it does from the Upper East Side or from the Financial District, where people often stay. And those areas are both in Manhattan, just not convenient to a lot of the stuff people want to see and do. I think being 1 to 3 subway stops from Midtown is more convenient, and I am quite confident that I know what I"m talking about.

In terms of cost, it is simply a matter of saving money. The cost of the subway trip is the same, and most people who stay multiple days will buy a 1-week unlimited Metrocard, so that the frequency of subway travel will simply not be an issue.

It's quite a different thing when people want to stay at, say, a LaGuardia or JFK airport hotel to "save money". That's not a savings in terms of time or money. It's a waste of both since neither of our airports is close to a regular mass-transit line (JFK even requires you to pay $5 to take the airport train TO the subway, which is then an hour from Manhattan).