JFK TO MANHATTAN AIRPORTER BUS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am landing at JFK and want to go to hotel in Times Square.Has any body any recent experience of the airporter bus.Price? Quality? Punctuality? Convenience and availabilty.
Will be grateful for any suggestions
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Not recommended. You do not know how many stops and what route the driver will take.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 05:00 AM

If you mean the Supershuttle direct to your hotel - it;s a terrible idea. Typically they wait until full at the airport and then head into Manhattan circling - through heavy traffic - to 5 or 6 different hotels - so the trip can often take 2 hours.

They have an even worse record on the way back - again circling to so many hotels that some riders have complained about missing their flights (since they hadn't allowed for the shuttle to take 2 hours to get to the airport - versus 30 to 40 minutes for a taxi or car service.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 05:51 AM

The airporter bus is fine--tickets $15. Buses depart every 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day. For Times Square, you would choose the stop to Port Authority Bus terminal. The bus is subject to traffic, which means possible delays. If you paid five times the price for a taxi, you would be subject to the same delays. The trip should take about an hour.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

If there are 2-4 traveling together, I'd probably take a taxi which could make the trip faster since it does not have to make the stops at different terminals that the bus does. (cost $45 plus tolls and tip, about $60)

I agree that SuperShuttle is a bad idea for all the reasons stated by the two previous posters.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Sorry - assume you meant super shuttle since you seemed to think the bus would go to your hotel. The large group bus does not stop at hotels - there are a couple that each stop at major stops - but then you have to haul your luggage from there to the hotel - either via foot, subway or cab.

If you are near Times Square Port Authority is the closest stop. But you still might have to haul your luggage 7 or 8 blocks - depending on exactly where the hotel is.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM

The Airtrain to the "E" train will leave you off in the middle of Times Square.

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM

What ellenem said. Also, if you purchase a RT ticket for the bus, you will save a few dollars.

The airport bus is my preferred method of travel to the airport. I take them all the time. they are reliable and punctual. If you are going TO the airport, allow yourself some extra time - about 10 - 15 minutes - b/c the bus stops at several terminals.

Check the link ellenem posted for schedules.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:06 AM

I have also been using the Airporter from JFK to Grand Central Terminal, especially after redeye flights. With the discount for round trip stacked on the discount for seniors, the $20 RT fare turns out to be only a couple of bucks more than the schlep on Airtrain and Subway.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Do not take that bus. As Fodors' points out above with their recommendation -- the bus makes a long detour to Lisbon. It will seem like forever to get to your hotel from JFK as you visit Lisbon. LOL
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I guess I shall go for the shuttle as I have some luggaga