Holiday Inn rip-off

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holiday Inn rip-off

Yesterday I was made aware of a new (to me) Holiday Inn policy. It seems if you book their Internet rates it is non-cancellable, unlike any other chains HiltonHonors, LaQuinta, Marriott, etc. They do CTA, if you stop to read the boilerplate. When I called to complain I was referred to the motel, the manager advised me there was nothing he could do it was "company policy". He gave me the number for Guest Services who, guess what, said it was up to the individual motel. They are wearing me out with this run-around but I will pursue. I, and my employees each stay overnight 40-50 nights a year and I have advised Holiday Inn I will sleep in my car before I check into any of their brands. By the way, I tried to cancel the reservation a week before the check-in date. In my 40 years of travel and 20+ years as a Priority Club member I have never heard of such a scam, or policy if you prefer.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:36 AM
GoTravel

Richard, not all Holiday Inns are corporate owned. The majority are franchises. I would go to the Bass Hotels (parent company) website and find someone to complain to.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:47 AM

It has been my experience that the best internet rates offered by hotel chains are non refundable. It is certainly true of Hilton and Starwood. One should always read the cancellation policy of any business before giving out a credit card number.

Caveat emptor.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Dan

Richard, did you read the cancellation policy? Many internet rates, INCLUDING Hilton and Marriott, are non-cancellable in exchange for being CHEAP. I'm not sure I agree with "CTA" as it usually states if plainly if you take the time to read.

I hope Holiday Inn will give you a break since you're a good customer but I don't think they are in the wrong.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Richard, always read the hotel's cancel policy. Many places have longer policies these days. It's not uncommon to see 72 hours, 7 days, etc. rather than the old "6 pm day of arrival" thing!

I checked the Holiday website and looked at some of the internet rates. It plainly stated that you can't cancel if you book that rate. You can book some higher regular rates and cancel those, if you wish.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Richard - add another voice to the caveat emptor chorus. I, too, am a long time Priority Club member and stay at many Bass properties. Sometimes I take advantage of the internet only rates, but only when I am fairly certain trip details won't change, as it clearly states on the website that these are nonrefundable. It is not unlike some of the hoel room re-sellers (hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) that offer special rates that must be prepaid and are nonrefundable. Sorry you had to learn it this way, but I can't fault the hotel in this case.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Agree with the other posters. I booked a very discounted rate for Holiday Inn for May on the net and the rate clearly states it is unrefundable. The only times these rates are good for you is if you know 100% your plans won't change. Like the other poster said, maybe you can get help if you go to the top (i.e. Chairman of the Board) and they may refund your deposit.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Radisson allow you to cancel the day before arriving at no cost, (even the cheapest deals) and just checking their website they are also allowing cancellation for free at anytime while the war is on.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Dan

Sara, I just tried a reservation on radisson.com. The "Internet Saver Rate" is nonrefundable if cancelled within 15 days of arrival so their policies aren't always as liberal as you described! May depend on the individual hotel, too. I entered San Diego as my choice. FYI.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:01 PM

I agree that the cancellation policy for the special internet saver rates on the Holiday Inn website are prominently displayed; in fact, I believe you have to check a box that says you have read and understand the policy for the rate you choose before the booking engine will finalize the reservation. These rates should ONLY be used when your plans aren't going to be changing. I've booked some great deals this way, but on other occasions I've had to maintain the "insurance" of a higher rate that I could cancel.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:02 PM
kkj

What you describe is not a rip-off. Just because you don't like the new policy does not make it a rip off.

Unfortunately many hotels have had to change their cancellation policies through the years because too many people make duplicate or triplicate reservations and then never bother to cancel. You can only get burned so many times.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Yes, that special non cancellable rate is common these days. I nearly booked an Intercontinental in Europe at an amazingly low rate. It was only my curiosity as to why it was such a good deal that made me click on the rules from a separate window and actually enlarge them to read them, and then realized there was no cancellation for any reason, as well as being charged in full to your credit card at the time of the booking.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM

I have found that this is true of most "web specials" now for hotels, airfare and even some car rental.

This certainly isn't as flexible as one would wish but to use the term "rip off" is almost as bad as the hotels not showing the NO CANCELLATION policy clearly.

Wendy
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Yep, happened to me too with a Marriott property. Made a 'cheap' internet reservation, then remembered I had a 'Reward' certificate to use for a free stay. Tried to cancel, but to no avail. Wasn't happy, but entirely my fault for not reading cancellation policy before reservation was booked.

Caveat Emptor it is!
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:13 AM

You know, I understand the whole bit about the website clearly stating the cancellation policy. However, this does not make the policy RIGHT. I was recently duped by their policy and I am livid. I had booked a room for a really expensive price ('book early and SAVE?!?!') and then found pretty much the same room at another hotel chain for $100 cheaper. Yes, Holiday Inn is up front about their (terrible) policy, but I just think it's wrong to make the reservations 100% non-refundable. I spoke to two customer service representatives that both told me the same thing- no refunds. I agree with Richard- I would rather sleep in my car than stay at a Holiday Inn or any of its affiliates because of this policy. It's just wrong. I was told that they use this policy as an INCENTIVE for people to stay- the only incentive it has given me is to never stay with them again.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM

You think it's "wrong" even though you knew about it up front? Ummmm, those were the terms of your agreement! And what the heck does the price of a room at another chain have to do with the price of fish? If the price was better elsewhere, I guess you should have booked there in the first place.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM

It is not good practice to piggyback on a nine year old thread.

Next time you might title your post "Holiday Inn Still At It"

Why? Because many people with a lot of information will not look at a post this old, on principle.

You should also know that many people do not respond positively to someone whose first and only post is a complaint about a policy that you yourself say was clear and which you accepted, whether you knew it or not, when you made the original reservation. It was a contract between them -- to give you a room for a certain price -- and you, to pay that price according to the terms on their website.

Would you expect to drive your new car back to the dealer and return it if you found a better price later?
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New poster with an axe to grind.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM

This thread is 9 years old...........
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Well, the thread might be nine years old but the latest complaint is apparently new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -