Help Kauai Honeymoon Activities

Jun 26th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Help Kauai Honeymoon Activities

I am going to Kauai for my honeymoon in September 9-15. And I am trying to find some affortable and unique experiences that we can do there. But we want to do some things that aren't super touristy, we don't mind doing some touristy things. However we want to do some unique and adventurous things that maybe some tourists wouldn't think about doing. Somethings that we are considering right now is doing a zipline tour, maybe going to the Canyon... but any specific ideas, links, contacts or anything that you could provide to make my honeymoon even better would be appreciated. Also any romantic places on the island. Would also like to hear about hidden or secret waterfalls, swimming pools/holes, anything like that. Please let me know! Maybe a Top 5 things to do on the Island! please HELP! Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Ag3046

There are probably 50 posts on here already about Kauai. Use the search function to search for them.

Jun 26th, 2007, 07:23 AM

I'm surprised that this wonderful northshore kayak company gets so little mention here -- run by a Hawaiian family, it offers a very special "local" experience:
http://www.kayakhanalei.com/pages/tours.html
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM

We went snorkeling at Ke'e and Tunnels - we were the only people at Tunnels when we went - really pretty area. I know it's touristy and expensive, but our favorite memory is of the helicopter tour we took. If you can afford it, it's amazing to see the waterfalls from the air and see the Na Pali coast. Also the sunset boat tours of the coast are nice - touristy, but worth doing. The Spouting Horn is worth seeing, and best of all, it's free. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!
Jun 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

If your car will allow you to dodge the potholes go to Polihale. The Na Pali coast begins here. It's really beautiful and the few times that we have been, not many people have been around.

This would be a good place to stop after you have done the canyon.

Have fun.
Jun 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Jamo, I have a file I have compiled of our favorites on Kauai. We have been there app. 18 times.

If interested, drop me an email and I will foward it to you.

I am also traveling there July 13th through the 28, so if there is anything in particular you would like me to chack out, let me know.

You will love this little spot of paradise.
Jun 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Limahuli Gardens in Haena is fabulous. It is all native plants set in a very powerful valley just under Makana Peak (Bali Hai). Amazing, but very low key.

http://www.ntbg.org/gardens/limahuli.php

Bill
Jun 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Ag3046

Be very careful at Ke'e and Tunnels beaches. Each has had fatalities this year. Ask opinions from your hotel, from locals about the beach conditions before you decide. Secluded beaches sound very romantic, but there may be a very good reason why no one else is there- there may be treacherous riptides or undertows.

Jun 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
kealalani

Congratulations!

Unfortunately, due to a certain author cashing in on paradise, there are no hidden or secret much of anything left. That's not to say that you won't have a blast, as well as thoroughly romantic honeymoon!

Kealalani's Top 5

Secret Beach
Polihale Beach
Talking story at Hanalei Pier
Surf Jones at Tahiti Nui
Ahi, ahi, ahi!!!!

We also have enjoyed our ATV 3 hour tour with Kipu Ranch. Permission to change my top 5 at will???!!!!

Jun 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM

My faves are Na Pali coast boat tour, have done it four times (HoloHolo is excellent but long tour, goes to Niihau if the weather permits) and also visiting Polihale.

Haven't done Kipu Ranch ATV yet, might give it a try this September when we will be there (Sep. 16-23) if my darn back permits.

The reco for Limahuli Gardens is another good one, you don't have to reserve in advance like you do at Allerton/McBride and can go on your own or with a guide.
Jun 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Tunnels is one of my all time favorite beaches. But as another poster says it can be dangerous because of strong rip currents. Make sure you check with the local surf/dive shops about water conditions first at any of the beaches. Swim where the beaches are guarded (if possible), & always swim with a friend.
have a wonderful honeymoon!!
Jun 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Regarding ocean safety, surf reports, etc...this site has been very helpful.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/
Jun 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM
iceeu2

Here's my top 5 in no particular order:

Polihale Beach
Hamura's Saimen
Kiluea Lighthouse (my fav place on the island)
Kauai Pasta
Waimea Canyon

And, my list is also subject to change.

Romantic? The entire island!

And the people of Kauai just exhibit the aloha spirit, specially AuntieMaria.

Jun 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM

We did two really fun things in Kaui - we went Kayaking and it was a lot of fun and I went horseback riding and hiking to a waterfall and a little rock climbing in the north shore. I would highly recommend both activites. I will say though that they were "touristy" so I am not sure that is what you are looking for?
Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Jun 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM

oh wait... also we went snorkling all the way up the north shore and I swam there with giant sea turtles - be sure to bring an under water camera - it was AWESOME!
Jun 27th, 2007, 08:44 AM
kealalani

Four K9's and a K9's best friend and not one has mentioned the obvious honeymoon activity. Days like this I actually miss Kal the old dawg and his emoticons! LOL