Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Hotels: Hotel Huntington Nob Hill or The Chancellor Hotel Union Square?

Search

San Francisco Hotels: Hotel Huntington Nob Hill or The Chancellor Hotel Union Square?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booked at the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square for $150 a night which is a "Summer Value" price and includes continental breakfast and parking. However, I really am drawn to the charm of the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. Expedia rate of $195 and another web site offers $199 with no prepayment and no cancelation fee. Valet parking is $29.

I'm wondering if the $80 differnce is worth it? Is the location better? It is just for one night. I've read good reviews on both hotels at trip advisor. What I dont' like about the Chancellor is how close it is to the shopping areas. I know for many that this is a plus, but I'm not planning on doing any shopping during our stay, but maybe this area is in a better location as far as getting around the city. please help!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:14 AM

They're really fairly close to each other, but the big difference in location is that the Chancellor is on flat ground, with the cable car on the street outside and the other is on Nob Hill, which is obviously not flat ground. Depends on where you're going. To North Beach, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf from the Chancellor, you'd have to get over some hills. But going in the other direction is pretty flat. I stayed at the Chancellor years ago and the room was quite small, could be described as European. But this was years ago and I don't know what might have been done to it in the meantime.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM

The Huntington is excellent and quite beautiful. I have not stayed at Chancellor but have stayed at other hotels at and around Union Square. One big advantage of HH is that is on Nob Hill and there are few if any of the homeless beggars that seem to overrun the area around Union Square. Not a big deal but their constant begging can get real old real fast. At least on Nob Hill you are not accosted by a beggar everytime you step out of your hotel.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I booked the Huntington Hotel through Expedia this morning. I think we will be quite happy there! Thanks for responding.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM
je

You'll enjoy the Huntington. The hotel has a great spa, the Big 4 bar is a classic and the dining there, if you choose, is very good.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance. We only have one night in SF for dinner. Any suggestions? I doubt we will eat at the HH with all the many other options. We enjoy Italian, seafood/fish, and american. Haven't begun yet to research the dining end of the vacation.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Hi rocker, you might want to check out Scala's for your dinner. Their website is www.scalasbistro.com

From your description of food they may be a restaurant that would work for you. Food, service, atmosphere etc. are wonderful.

Welcome to SF and have a fun visit!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, thanks for the suggestion. Read some of your other postings, what great information. Saw that your SIL is from Rome, how wonderful! My boyfriend spent 6 months studying architecture in Rome and loved it. We too will look into Mona Lisa. Any great places for breakfast or lunch? Boyfriend really wants to try a place in Chinatown. He also loves to try new beers, microbrews anywhere?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Hi Rocker! Six months in Rome, oh sigh, how I would love that! Have you had the opportunity to visit Rome? Your boyfriend will sure be able to show your around so I hope you two get the opportunity to in the near future.

The MonaLisa is really enjoyed by my SIL. Now, I will say that the owner who is from the Sorrento area has had to tweak the cooking a bit for the American taste. But my SIL feels it is a "close" to Italian cooking as he has found in the SF/Bay Area. All the employees at the MonaLisa are from Italy, they generally seem to be here for a year or two. They are so much fun, you will love their accents and personalities. BTW, the MonaLisa phone # is 415-989-4917 in case you want to make reservations. They often get a long line of people waiting for tables so I would.

Rocker, I would suggest Kuleto's which is on Powell St. (half a block down from Union Sq. as a great place for a special breakfast or lunch but don't know if you would want to go there as it is in the Union Sq. area as is Scala's. If you do not go to Scala's for dinner they serve breakfast and lunch also. I would think that you don't want to go to Union Sq. twice since you will not be doing shopping etc.

I do not know which days you will be in SF. Moose's also in NorthBeach has Sunday brunches and serves lunch on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Their website is: www.moses.com if you want to check them out.

Another thought. The SlantedDoor in the SF Ferry Building is very good. That is at the Embarcadero at the foot of Market St. Their website is: www.slanteddoor.com. They have quite a menu and you could also get to enjoy the view of the SF Bay there without all the fuss and crowds of Fishermens Wharf.

Just a few thoughts. SF has so many fantastic restaurants.

Regarding ChinaTown. I will have to let someone else here help you with that as I cannot eat the food due to food allergies. If you are in ChinaTown do, besides Grant St., go over one block west to Stockton for a less touristy (but still very crowded) look.

Hope this has been of some help. Welcome to SF and let us know how your visit was. Best wishes.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM

In Chinatown, try the classic Far East Café. But if you'd like to have dim sum, head for the vast Gold Mountain--mostly Chinese clientele, food (you can order more than just dim sum if you wish) comes around on heated carts--loads of atmosphere. We took English friends there, and they were absolutely fascinated--and also really liked the food.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Great Eastern and R&G Lounge (along Kearny) are some of the best in Chinatown.

City View (on Commercial St) and Yank Sing (I go to the one in Rincon Center) are good Dim Sum places.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM

If you're wanting to have the BEST Italian in the city, you may have to wander far from the Union Square area.

A16 (that's right, this cutting edge Southern Italian restaurant is named after the autostrada in Campania, but this one is in the Marina District) and Delfina (in the Mission area) are the 2 best Italian restaurants to fo in the city. Incanto ranks up there with them, but it's much further away. I'd skip Kuleto's or Scala - unless you are really into the touristy stuff.

If you're around on a Saturday morning, do not miss one of the country's best the farmer's market at the Ferry Plaza. The Bay Area's best produce, cheeses, oysters, chocolates are all available, plus some very good restaurants do serve breakfast, snacks or light lunch in the market.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We will be spending a second night in Pacific Heights the night before our flight departs, so all these choices are great!!!

Have read that many like the New Asia Garden for dim sum. I know my boyfriend will want to eat in Chinatown and dim sum is something we've never experienced! Thought that would be a good plan for Thursday lunch before heading to Pacific Grove.

LoveItaly - I have not yet been to Italy! We are planning to visit next summer! I can't wait! Thanks again for all your suggestions and for those in past postings! Everyone is so helpful, it's priceless!