Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!...I want to atctivate my cell phone for my Nov trip to NYC!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Irma

Hello, I really need your help!...I'll be visiting NYC on Nov 3rd, but since this is my 1s time there I prefer to have my cell phone just in case I get lost or something, but since I'm from Central America, I need to know if there's any cell phone company I can contact that can maybe use my cell and activate it there just for a week or so, is this possible?!...PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!
Thanks!
Irms

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:54 AM
upsy daisy

Irma:
Check the Europe Forum for more information!

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 08:25 AM
Christie

Your cell phone from Central America should work in the US if it is a CDMA phone. Call your operator and ask them if it will or not. You shouldn' have top get it re-activated; you can just use the roaming.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Irma

Christie, thanks but the problem is that it is a prepaid plan and it has not the roaming option out of the country only whithin the territory. They told me I should contact someone in USA to confirm if there's any cell phone company that can give me this service while I'm there, since they can't...does someone knos if this is possible???...HELP!

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 12:23 PM
lucy

Irma,
Take it easy.... if you're just worried about getting lost in the city of New York, don't fret.. it's easy to call for help. Just go to any pay phone and dial either 911 if it is an emergency, or 411 for free information in anything you need - restaurants, hotels, etc...
A cell phone often does not work in different parts of the city. I work right on Madison Avenue and my cell phone sometimes just does not wanna work !!!