Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! I need an itineary for my first visit to NYC!!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need an itinerary for my first time trip to NYC, July 17-24. It's for my daughter's 16th b-day and we have been planning this since she was 8 years old! I want to make it extra special.

We are going with another mother/daughter who have been there before. Nice thing is they are spending the first 3-4 days w/ us, then my daughter and I get to spend the last 3-4 days just the two of us! YAY!

So needless to say, they have already done the 'usual' tourist stuff. They do want to go to China town, Little Italy, The MET, a bike ride through Central Park and take in a Broadway show. What would you suggest for the first 3-4 days of the trip? After the 3rd or 4th day they will go back home and we can then do the more traditional tourist 'stuff'.

We like shopping, eating (of course!), we love being outdoors, we want to see, taste and everything in between while we are there. Please let me know the best 'tours' to take, which ones to stay away from and if we should buy a pass for traveling on the subway? What are the best Broadway shows for two adults and two 16 years olds.

OMG! I hope someone can help me plan this trip! I am feeling very excited and a bit overwhelmed. I want to do a lot, without feeling like we're going so fast we're not enjoying the ride! Also, any tips about shopping in China town? We definitely have to eat some pizza and eat a hot dog from one of the 'street vendors'. Silly I know, but I see it in the movies! Plus, any other information you'd find useful.

Thank you so much in advance for all your advice. I am so glad I found this site!

Crazy in NYC,
Happyyellowgirl
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Hi Happyyellowgirl,

You're going to get about 100 replies so don't worry about ideas. The first thing you'll have to take into account is that the heat here can be brutal, so when you make your itinerary you may want to try and plan out so that some days would be outdoors and others indoors with A/C and be prepared to switch them.

As part of your first couple of days, I recommend going down to SOHO. Northwest of Canal St. is a little area with French restaurants and boutiques. It's beautiful to walk around and get a cafe aux lait and then a home made chocolate.You could follow that up with a short walk to the Angelika theater to catch an independent film.

If it's available, I recommend the "GAngs of New York" scavenger hunt for exploring Little Italy and Chinatown. It's run by a tour group called Watson Adventures www.watsonadventures.com The four of you would be a team and, using information they provide along with walking directions, you compete (prize is a t-shirt) to answer questions by exploring different shops and restaurants in Chinatown and Little Italy (including getting the price of a slice in the best pizza shop in New York!). If Gangs of New York isn't available, they also have one for the Metropolitan and the Museum of Natural History.

I'll leave some space for others.
Any questions welcome.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM

There are many designer/owner shops between Ave A and 2nd Ave on 9th thru 12th streets that your daughter may like.

When visiting Washington Square Park be sure to go one block north off 5th Ave and see the Washington Muse.

If you like chocolates:
Jacques Torres
Maison du Chocolat (very expensive)
Kee's
Evelyn's (Great value but not as elegant as the above.)
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I highly recommend the Greenwich Village food tour by Foods of New York. We've also done the Central Greenwich Village and Chelsea Market tours and loved them!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM

For a B'way show I would go for In the Heights - great for teens and if you go to Broadwaybox.com you can get codes to get discounts at the regular website.

Bikes can be fin in Central Park but do realize that you hae to stay on the very few roads. Adults on bikes aren;t allowed on the pediestrian paths - fine is $100 -so you will miss a lot on a bike unless you walk too.

You don't mention daughter's inteests os it's ahrd to amke specific recos (fashion, dance, music, history ?????) NYC has something special for everyone so knowing her interstes will help.

IMHO must dos for everyone are:
the Met
Top of the Rock
A boat ride - even if only the free Staten Islan ferry
Ellis Island Immigration Museums (if you can get fery tickets in advance - not worth waiting hours in the hot sun if you can't)

There are great places to eat everywhere. Knowing where you are staying and what type of foods you like/dislike and budget will help us make recos.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM

If you've been planning this for 8 years, what is it that you really want to see and do.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Having been several times and of mainstream taste and means, I can highly recommend the following:

Ellis Island-the museum and video are excellent. I never knew why so many immigrants came here or what they endured to arrive and settle here. Very moving and relevant-something everyone should see, including a teenager who thinks she might be bored. When it's over, she won't be.

Staten Island Ferry-free, with beautiful view of the Statue of Liberty.

Top of the Rock-magnificent views.

The Met-once you go, you'll see what I mean. Overwhelming in its span of content and collections. I didn't appreciate the Guggenheim, but I'm not a modern art fan.

Wicked-an amazing show you and your daughter will love. Not up on the latest shows, but others will be.

Shanghai Joes in Chinatown and John's Pizza in Times Square area are reliable, tourist friendly restaurants at modest prices. We ate at Da Gennaro in Little Italy and thought it was very good. There was also a little place called Spring Street Natural that was good in Soho, as well as a brunch place called Jane.

Walk around Times Square.

Learn to take the subway-the cheapest and fastest way to get just about anywhere and very user friendly.

The double decker bus tour is touristy, but it's a neat overview of the city for a first time visitor-at least I thought so.

Arrange for a car service to pick you up-it's about the same price as a cab, but won't scare you to death with crazy drivers. If you request a black Town Car, your daughter will think it's special. We've used Carmel in the past.

Have fun!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Also, if your friends have already visited the more "touristy" places (and for the most part they're touristy because they're good), another possibility would be downtown in the Battery Park/World Trade Center area. Directly in frnt of the World Trade Center site along Church St. is Century 21, an excellent discount department store.
Then on the opposite side of the World Trade Center site on West St. is the World Financial Center. If you cross West St. and continue two blocks west you'll reach Battery Park/Riverside Park along the Hudson river. From this location you can see the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano Bridge, walk a little further north and you'll reach a Japanese garden and then a charming tribute to the Irish Potato Famine (features one stone selected and sent by each county in Ireland). Further up the walk is a great view of the Empire State Building. All the while you can observe sailboats and very large yachts along the river and view all of the New Yorkers taking a break from their busy day (this is a good weekday adventure).

A word of warning re: the subway. I ride the subway every day and it is absolutely the quickest way downtown. Having said that, the subway stations are OPPRESSIVELY hot on the platform this time of year. Also, with four of you the cost of subway fare $9.00 per ride will come close, and may in some cases exceed the cost of a cab. So unless you have a long trip to make, I highly recommend a nice, air conditioned yellow cab. You can conveniently wave one down in the street (car service cannot be waved down below 110th St.). In spite of their reputation, the cabbies are generally very good drivers and accidents are quite rare.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM

I meant to recommend the car service for the trip to and from the airport. We've experienced some pretty wild cab rides from the airport. I'm sure Chadnyc is right about the subway heat. We bought Metro cards the last time we were there-it was very cheap, but don't remember the cost.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM

I always use Dial7.com car service from/to AP.And, although i wouldnt do it, the girls might enjoy a ride on The Beast thru the NY harbor.Its a high speed boat,and you will all get wet,but might be fun.And if you do take the river walk suggested above, have lunch at the SouthwestNY cafe,right behind the Two World Financial Center bulidong
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I can second the Beast-my teenage son and his friend enjoyed it. Be prepared to get a little wet.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Um, a 16 year old young woman can be a whole lot different than a teen boy. She might love the Beast - or be bored to death. I had one niece who loved dance and we organized a ballet for her, a backstage tour of Lincoln Center and several other performances - including Chicago (yes, I know - old - but great dance).

If you will tell us what she loves we can help you pick out things that you won;t find anywhere else - no matter what her interests.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM

The OP left two days ago--I hope she had her trip planned by now!