Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help, I'm not excited about our trip to Yellowston!!!!

Notices

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby went to yellowstone when he was 17, that was 28 years ago. He has wanted to take me and our 11 yr old son for a long time, finally we had the money so we've made all the reservations and gotten the airline tickets. BUT the problem is that I am not excited about this trip at all!

I live in WV, in the mountains, we live out in the country on a beautiful piece of property. I love living in the country, but for vacations we always go to places like Disney World, Universal, Boston, Williamsburg and to the beach. All these places are packed with great entertainment and great restaurants.

So in Yellowstone, you drive around, take a few walks and eat in bad restaurants! It sound so boring. Please tell me it's not!!! I do like nature and we do go on a lot of nature walks around WV, but I guess since it's something I can do from home it just doesn't sound that fun to do on vacation. Please tell me I won't be bored and that I really will love it! I'm trying to stay excited for hubby's sake!

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:28 AM

"I live in WV, in the mountains"

WV is a beautiful place, but IMHO you haven't really seen Mountains until you've been out West. The scenery is absolutely spectacular, and it's on a whole different scale than the gentle green mountains we have here back East. They don't call it "Big Sky Country" for nothing. And they might have one or two good restaurants.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Does your husband know my husband? Mine worked at Yellowstone for a summer after graduating from high school and has never gotten over it. He keeps wanting to go back and I am not interested at all.

Your son and husband will probably have a great time, and therefore you will too just by watching their interaction and enjoyment. This may be an altruistic trip for you, luv!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:40 AM
TheWeasel

"So in Yellowstone, you drive around, take a few walks and eat in bad restaurants!"

Your summary of what you expect from Yellowstone is like someone saying, "So at Disney, you walk around, go on a few rides, and eat overpriced bad food".

It sounds like you're not at all sure what is even there, so of course you can't be excited. I'd say do some research, look at the various Yellowstone websites, and maybe you'll find some stuff that does interest/excite you. Surely you don't think nature in WV is exactly the same as Yellowstone? You're not going to find bison, elk, grizzly bears and wolves roaming around in WV. You're not going to see hot springs, geysers, mud pots, etc. in WV. And as someone pointed out, the mountains are completely different.

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Maybe you should stay home and let them have a guy's vacation; and do something later that appeals to you, yet something that they would not feel left out of. Or if not too late, make plans for something during the same period they'll be gone.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've done tons of research of Yellowstone, I even joined a forum on it. And of course the mountains in WV can't compare to the mountains in Yellowstone, I'm just saying that walking around in Yellowstone for a week sounds so boring.

"Does your husband know my husband? Mine worked at Yellowstone for a summer after graduating from high school and has never gotten over it. He keeps wanting to go back and I am not interested at all.

Your son and husband will probably have a great time, and therefore you will too just by watching their interaction and enjoyment. This may be an altruistic trip for you, luv!" Quote by kswl!!! Hey kswl, maybe I should let your hubby go with mine, and I'll stay home! hehe

I'm trying not to be negative and I really want to enjoy Yellowstone, but when I think of the money I'm spending to see nature and take nature walks for a week, it sort of sickens me. Disney World trips didn't cost even half as much as this trip is costing us!

Seriously, I hope that when I come back I'll be happy to report that I loved it! But I'd love to hear from someone who didn't think they would enjoy a trip to Yellowstone, but then ended up loving it!

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:51 AM

We've been to Yellowstone many years ago and can't wait to go back. I also live on the East coast and it's true the mountains out West are like nothing we have here. Go the National Parks site and find out all the info you can on Yellowstone, to see Old Faithful, the mudpots and the hot springs, the beautiful blue pools. This park is so historic and has so many amazing things including wildlife. Of course that may be cause I am into National Parks and have been to so many I never tire of them as each time you see something new. Why not plan on doing other stuff depending upon where you are entering the park, Montana, Wyoming or Idaho? Maybe you can get excited once you start doing some research as our National Parks are our most precious resource, and once you go to Yellowstone I bet you'll be hooked!
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:57 AM
TheWeasel

"I'm just saying that walking around in Yellowstone for a week sounds so boring. "

You won't be saying that if you run into a grizzly.

Seriously, there are other things to do. You can get out of the park and do something, go to a ranger program or two, hang out at the hotel by the pool and read for a day while they go hiking, tour the historic building in Yellowstone, etc. It doesn't have to be all nature walks, all the time. Why not talk to your husband and tell him you don't want to do nothing but walk around, and come up with something to do every day other than that, or agree to give you a couple days to do something else (with or without them).

I understand the idea that you live in the country and want to get away from that for vacation, but Yellowstone is different. Find some alternate stuff to do in case you're bored out of your skull, and I think you'll have more fun than you think you will.

Old May 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Question - regarding the trips you took that you really enjoyed, is it possible that your husband could have posted "Help, I'm not excited about our trip to ________!!!!"?

You'll enjoy Yellowstone. Promise.

Until then, PRETEND you are excited abou the trip. Your hubby has been wanting to go back somewhere for 28 years. Give him a gift - an happy wife, excited at the opportunity to have a hubby to share with you and your son something he evidently loves.

And, please pause and give a word of thanks that you have such a good hubby.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Here's a good one for you - my family took us to Yellowstone about 8 years ago, & while waiting for Old Faithful to blow, we were literally chased by a buffalo that came out of the nearby woods!! First it just came out of the edge of the woods & some kids starting yelling at it. This obviously aggravated it & it started pounding its foot on the ground. Next thing I know, it's running straight towards us!!! Luckily we got out of the way, but the buffalo bucked one rather large woman about 3-4 feet into the air!! I have it all on video - I really should send it in to America's Funniest. So don't tease or tempt the buffalo!

I know the trip sounds boring to you, but if you really do enjoy nature you will love it there. And I agree with the others - the mountains are totally different there. You may be surprised and love it!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I go to the park at least every couple of years, and every single time I see something different. Do a little advance prep to get excited--get the official map from park services, and start to peruse. Mark off waterfalls you'd like to visit, read up on geothermal features, plan a morning to swim in the river where the water is heated, make a list of animals you hope to see; be open to enjoying an entirely different part of the planet (don't expect to have to climb craggy mountains, though, those are a short drive away). I really hope you enjoy!
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Trust me, you're in for a treat. I had NEVER camped until I was 30, but once my husband started dragging me to his favorite places (Yosemite, Sequoia, and yes, Yellowstone) I was hooked. The best part was seeing these beautiful places through *his* eyes. You don't have to be excited to enjoy this vacation, just open minded. Yellowstone will take care of the rest. I enjoyed seeing the wildlife in Yellowstone. The scenery was beautiful too, but it was a novelty to be surrounded (in the car) by a herd of bison, or stopping by the side of the road to view (through a sighting scope) a grizzly far away in the distance, feeding on an elk. Luckily, we didn't have any close encounters. I also enjoyed walking on the walkways around the thermal pools. It is a very unique place.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM
ljv

My husband, daughter and I did a trip to Yellowstone about 4 years ago in conjunction with a visit to Jackson Hole. While in the area, we also spent time at Teton Nat'l Park. Yellowstone is very accessible to JH...about 90 miles on a straight, scenic h'way.

Yellowstone was awesome,especially for the wildlife viewing. Also impressive are the geysers and the "paint pot" areas. We saw,fairly up close and personal, quite a few elk and bison.

Since Teton is midway between JH and Yellowstone, I highly recommend a couple of nights at the Teton Lodge. Very nice accomodations,and a really nice swimming pool with beautiful vistas. Saw beaver,eagles, coyote and did a whitewhater trip on the snake river. Spectacular!

Jackson Hole is a funky western town with interesting shops, theaters, great restaurants and a terrific rodeo.I'm sure all of you would enjoy that. It's so different from what we have out East(I'm from Jersey)

You could also consider going to Cody, which is East of Yellowstone, maybe 60 miles or so. Also a typical "wester" town and the drive is adventurous.

Go with an open mind...I'm sure you'll have a great time while seeing a very different part of our great country!

If you'd like some specifics,my e-mail is [email protected]
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Our first trip there was my husband's idea, and I was very "whatever" about it. Now I love it, have been back once, plan to return for a winter visit and also would love to work there when we retire. It's a very overwhelming place. The geology is fascinating, the wildlife is crazy, the history is compelling. I hear you that if you live in the country, it is nice to get away from the country on vacation. But Yellowstone will be an experience of the lifetime, if you let it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I've got to echo LJV's comments. You're not just going to Yellowstone, you're going to northern Wyoming. Take a trip to Jackson Hole. Then go on south thru the Wind River Canyon to Shoshone Natl Park. I guarantee there's nothing like this in WV...or anywhere else in the USA...totally gorgeous IMHO.

Or head east to Cody and on to Sheridan. If you're really adventurous and have the time, continue on to Devil's Tower (did you see Close Encounters of the Third Kind). This is right next to the Black Hills Natl Park in the Northeast corner of the state...maybe 500 miles from Yellowstone.

Yes, the trees in Wyoming are the same shades of green as you find in WV. Sky is just as blue and both states have some nice hills. But there are no mountains in WV like you'll see in Wyoming. Let's face it...Wyoming lowlands are higher than the highest point in WV by quite a margin!

And you won't find the opportunity to see and experience western history and culture.

Enjoy it. Your son will thank you for it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM

There is no place on earth quite like Yellowstone. Besides the beauty it's amazing to see how nature works it's magic.

The trips I've dreaded the most....usually turn out to be the best because my expectation are so low.

If for no other reason than to please your husband, don't let him see how much you don't want to go. Just wait until you see you son's face....he's going to LOVE this place...this alone should also make this trip worth doing!

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:09 AM

iluvmyrott,

When will you be in Yellowstone? We're going in early June....and this will be my 8th time...but then again...I Yellowtone.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Yellowstone June 9 through the 14th!

Okay, I promise I'm trying to stay happy for hubby and when I get back I'll post a trip report. Thanks for all the encouragement. I do feel better that a lot of you at first didn't know if you'd like it, then you ended up loving it!

Oh we do have one day planned at Jackson Hole before we head into Yellowstone! And maybe if we have the time we might go to Cody for a day.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I was you two years ago. Identical situation. Happy ending. I loved the place and we had one of the best family vacations ever.

Yeah the food is not much to talk about but it won't matter. Jackson has some good restaurants.

ps. I'm fostering a pair of rotti puppies. I love em!
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:41 AM

We went to Yellowstone when I was just 8 years old. I remember many parts of that trip and always think about taking my own kids there to experience it all.
My parents were true NY city people. This was a big experience for my family. We lived in an affluent community in NJ growing up. My mother often said that the women would talk about trips to Europe. Then my mom would mention our trip to Yellowstone and Big sky Montana. They all were instantly interested to know what it was like out there. She became the center of attention. I am rattling on, but just because it is not a place that appears exciting, it had it's own aura about it.
We still have had many laughs about the cabins. I remember my brother getting locked in the bathroom and having to climb out the window.
It was also my first time on a horse! We square danced and collected silver dollars and Kennedy half dollars (early 70's). My dad and brothers had cowboy ties and hats!
Anyway, I am now over 40 and I still remember the trip. I hope that you enjoy it. This is a place where you will have family time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO