Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Help! Hotel Room in Omaha or Council Bluffs for Berkshire meeting (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-hotel-room-in-omaha-or-council-bluffs-for-berkshire-meeting-776325/)

Michele12 Mar 31st, 2009 07:23 PM

Help! Hotel Room in Omaha or Council Bluffs for Berkshire meeting

Hi - I'll be attending the Berkshire meeting this May with my Dad. This is our first time attending (and visiting Nebraska). All the rooms near the convention center are sold out. Any advice on surrounding towns that are close to the convention center? There is a hotel that still has vacancy in Bellevue, NE and also in Council Bluffs, Iowa - but not sure how difficult it would be to get to the convention center from these towns. Should I rent a car? Any advise or guidance folks can provide me on this will be appreciated :))

Michele

Jaya Apr 1st, 2009 03:01 AM

I assume you are shareholders so you should have received the blue covered 2008 Annual Report booklet. Travel assistance (air, hotel, and car) info is on page 22 through American Express.

Do you have this booklet?

Myownheroine Apr 3rd, 2009 10:13 AM

I haven't gotten my Annual Report booklet, but yes, call Carol. Last year I found her contact info from googling the Berkshire 2008 meeting.

If you go to kayak.com, you'll see that there are some (mostly overpriced) hotels still in Omaha for that trip.

You'll be in the Midwest; you need a car. You can get by without one if you were staying in Old Market area of Omaha, but all of those hotels have been sold out for, well, probably a year. (Actually, I take that back. You might be within a slightly uncomfortable walking distance of the Qwest Center for one of those $300/night hotels that have sprung up in the last year or so. But I'm still thinking that you'll need a car.

Definitely in Council Bluffs you need a car. And Bellevue. Council Bluffs is right across the river from Omaha, and the Qwest Center isn't far at all from the river. I wouldn't be suprised if the Council Bluffs hotel is closer than the Bellevue one.

Welcome to Nebraska; maybe we'll run into each other at the meeting.

Michele12 Apr 5th, 2009 06:26 PM

Thanks for your responses. Yes, I do have the booklet and of course, flipped right past page 22 :) Thanks for the advice!!!

See you in Omaha ;)

kayram824 Apr 23rd, 2009 10:33 AM

Not sure if you are still looking for a room to stay but I made a couple extra reservations at the Crown Plaza in Old Mill.

They are no longer letting us cancel the reservations so if you are still looking for a place we can sell you one or two of our rooms? The Crowne Plaza has a shuttle that takes you directly to the Quest Center so transportation should not be a problem.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

TravelMakesMeHappy Apr 26th, 2009 06:38 AM

I also have a hotel room reservation available. A business trip is preventing us from being able to attend the meeting this year. We go every year, it is a fabulous time and well worth the trip! The reservation is at Doubletree just off 72nd St. It is a 2-room suite and is quite near the Nebraska Furniture Mart and Borsheim's. There may be a shuttle, I do not know, but can find out. Let me know if you still need a hotel room!