Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

help! Flying Northwest Airlines to Hawaii-Are they that bad??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:44 AM
jules

Since reserving our flight with Northwest Airlines from Seattle to Hawaii, I have read some very unfavorable comments about this airline. Has anyone flown to Hawaii with NWA? How bad is it going to be?? (it was the lowest rate at the time I booked).

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:54 AM
Wendy

I fly NW all the time out of Seattle and have done it twice to/from Hawaii. The main thing is that they usually have a 3-5-3 configuration and people coming home have loads of crap they are bringing back! I did upgrade once to 1st class and that was dreamy!! All in all just try to get bulkhead or exit row to give you a bit more room and hope that the lady next to you isn't bringing back a pinapple plant or orchid which is sitting on her lap!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:57 AM
Sarah

Jules I too have had bad experiences on Northwest. But here is what I think. They have done poorly on consumer opinion pools, the stock is down more than other air carriers last I checked.. I am guessing it is from all of this bad press as well as union issues (reason for snotty attendants). I have to take them to Japan this summer because they have the most best rates. Hey a buck is a buck just don't expect any smiles out of the flight attendents.

I like continental from Newark to Honolulu the best. Also if you are flying to Kauai from LAX there is a sweet little flight straight into lih. Ok I see you are coming in from Seattle. That is a cat nap flight. You want to talk about uncomfortable my layover time in LA on some trips will be the bulk of your flight time. Don't worry Jules it will be ok.

Bottom line Jules a buck is a buck expect the worst and you will enjoy your trip. ALOHA!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Dianne

I flew with them to Honolulu through Seattle in 1997. They only served us a bagel and banana at that time, so check if there's a meal and eat before if not. I can't remember the seating plan I had. Air Canada is using 2-4-2 planes these days which is much nicer of course. Otherwise, I say relax, you're going to Hawaii! Have fun and have a few more Mai Tai's with the airfare you saved. The flight's only 4-5 hours anyway.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:53 AM
philip

Jules,
I think you can read bad things about every airline if you look hard enough. I've seen posts on Delta, American, United, America West, USAir, etc.

The everyday reality of this industry is at somepoint in the day, passengars will have a complaint with every airline.

I guess my point is this, with every airline you have a chance of having a great flight or lousy flight. The odds may change, from airline to airline, but they are all within a pretty narrow band.

Go, have fun, and view the flight as a means to an end.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Kate

phillip the complaints are far more prevalent on NW that is documented. In most scenarios you are correct but not with this one. They are not pleasant at all on NW. God forbid any shoe bombers board NW the attendants would not do a dam thing.

Again they are always in Union talks I have heard from other attendants that it is the least popular airline to work for in the top groups.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Kate

just don't want you to expect more Jules. You can still make do, it is a short flight.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:08 AM
scigirl

I flew HNL -> Seattle last year on NW. I didn't think they were too bad. I stopped flying NW for about 6 years because I had become so frustrated with their poor customer service. I returned this year to flying them and have generally been satisfied. I flew a lot last year (almost 100K miles - NW, United, American, and Delta) and I'd say NW was no worse on average than any of the other airlines - every airline will have some bad and some good employees. The flight from Seattle is direct, reasonably quick, etc. The one problem I encountered with customer service was quickly resolved after I sent an email to Northwest.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:22 AM
Cali

We fly Northwest frequently as we do lots of business in Mpls. and Detroit Areas and we really have no complaints. We have found all the airlines are pretty much the same and Northwest has been no worse or better than the others. If they are the most convenient for you take them.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Sheila

We flew Northwest from Memphis to Hawaii in 2000. All the flights were on time and we had no problems. My only complaint was very little leg room. Someday maybe I can fly first class to Hawaii.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Teacher

Sarah...sarah...sarah - "most best rates"? ouch.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Sarah

Teacher: I had something different written originally and forgot to delete "most" (was part of a phrase) in final post. A REAL TEACHER WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD THAT. Just kidding. Don't want to p*** off the teacher.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
just curious

You'll be fine. You see complaints these days all every airline. Bashing airlines seems to be a popular sport these days. I'm glad that you got the best fare available. Have a fabulous trip.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Doc

Teacher-Don't you have anything better to do than critique someone here?? Maybe it was a typo. No wonder Johnnie can't read when all the teachers are spending their time perusing travel boards instead of actually teaching...

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:47 PM
nancy

Gave up our seats on an overbooked flight from LAX to HNL last summer on Northwest. In return, got to fly first class, free tickets for another trip, and dinner vouchers--not a bad trip. Went to New York with free tickets--no meals on the plane, but beside that--no complaints.