Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! Emergency trip to Hawaii - Where do I go??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Kris

Hi Everyone,
We just found out today that my husband has to go to Hawaii May 2nd for a 1 day conference in Honolulu, but we can then stay for an additional 7 or 8 days!!The problem is we have no idea which islands to go to and how long to stay on each. We have no children and like adventure. Neither one of us likes to spend more than a day or so lounging on the beach. We are not looking for a private get away, but really want to see all that we can and experience Hawaii to the fullest - probably will never get back again so this it! Any suggestions on islands, tours, hotels, restaurants, anything and everything would be great. Looking to spend moderate amount of $ - not dirt cheap but not the four seasons either. Thanks in advance for all you help!!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM
S

This is not really an emergency, methinks.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Sue

I'd repost without the hysterical headline, too. I really thought you'd be asking about bereavement fares and almost skipped the post completely.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:29 AM
larry

Kris:

Doesn't sound like an emergency, but you should probably book soon. If this is a once in a lifetime visit, I would concentrate your 8 extra days on the most memorable parts of the State. For me, these would be on Kauai and on the Big Island. I'd spend about four days on each. May is still off-season, so you should get some good rates. Inter-island airfares are usually cheap anyway.

The north coast of Kauai is, in my view (and many others), the most scenic and spectacular part of the State. South Pacific was filmed there. Spend some time snorkeling on the beaches there and hiking the trails in the area. If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for the Princeville resort (I've stayed there and it's great but the food and service are only average) then stay at the nearby Hanalei Bay Resort. Same great views, much lower prices. The great thing about Kauai is that it is small so you can easily drive around. By all means stop and see Waimea Canyon. Also, splurge on a helicopter tour of the Island, since there are some beautiful areas you can't see by car.

On the Big Island, spend some time at the Volcano National Park. If you're lucky, you'll see some great stuff. You can get some good bargains (rooms for under $250) at the Hapuna Beach Hotel. I stayed there last June and it's an excellent place. It has a great beach (crystal clear water, soft sand), which in the morning, when the surf is calm, is perfect for snorkeling. If you like golf, the resort has some excellent courses (as does the Princeville). May is not whale watching season, but you can catch some fishing, sailing or snorkeling boat trips from Kona. If you need to go to a luau, one of the very best is at the Kona Village Resort on Fridays, just north of Kona.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
xxx

an emergency on a site like this means you need help NOW cause your in a bind. i wish my life was so uneventful and full of good things that i'd call a trip to paradis in 6 weeks an EMERGENCY.
have a great time and from you've explained, i agree with above...the big island (almost no beaches) and kaui.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Roy

You might get a few ideas from the notes "Hawaii for less." They appear under Joyful Journeys at...

www.senior-infosite.com

Aloha,

Roy

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:30 PM
aaaaaaa

I agree with Larry 4 days Kauai & 4 ays Big Island. Tha man makes sense

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:56 PM
gyppielou

Lighten up people. Kris has obviously gotten exciting news and does need help quickly. She has been offered something she probably never dreamed of so has no where to start. Allow her, her moment of insane joy.

I'd suggest 4 nights on the north shore of Kauai, and 4 nights on Maui with one of them in Hana, perhaps the Homoa Beach Bungalow, or be adveturous with Treetops, an upscale camping experience. Congratulations on your good fortune

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Kristin

Shoot, I'm still having my moment (?) of insane joy, and I've known about my trip for 2 months! 62 days to go! hehe hehe!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:22 PM
H

Larry -

Don't you think actually hiking Waimea Canyon might be the best way to see/experience it up close and personal, rather than the car or the helicopter?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:57 PM
helen

While you are on Oahu don't forget about the great things on that island. Waikiki Beach is one of a kind - right-sized waves all year long, a gentle and graceful curve with Diamond Head in the background.

The Hawaiian monarchy buildings tell an interesting story. The Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, Pali lookout, Diamond Head hike, Sunset Beach are all worthwhile.

Each island has it's unique points and don't believe those with their nose in the air about Oahu. I think Oahu gives you your best overall experience. My next favorite island is The Big Island with Volcanoes National Park, Waipio lookout, Akaka Falls. Maui has Haleakala, Lahaina, the drive to Hana, and seasonal whale-watching. Kauai has the scenic north shore and Waimea Canyon. Oahu and Maui are the most crowded. The island with the worst traffic is Maui. Kauai is the most lush.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:55 AM
Linda

With only 7 days or so I'd just stay on Oahu and save other island(s) for another trip. We were there for 10 days and didn't begin to see everything we would have liked to. The Wakiki/Honolulu area alone can fill up 2 or 3 days of sightseeing, and then there is so much more of the island to see and experience. The windward shore is awesomely beautiful, with an amazing variety of (mostly deserted) beaches. I'd recommend a beachfront B&B, condo, or cottage anywhere outside of Wakiki. You cannot imagine what it is like to wake up in the morning, fix the pot of coffee, and savor it on your lanai (preferably while also savoring an unbelievably fresh pineapple), planning your day, with the sound of the surf and the ocean breezes and the smells of Hawaii.....oh my!

Just please don't discount Oahu - you'll hear many people grumbling about hating it: to much just a big city, too commercial, no natural beauty. They obviously didn't get out of Wakiki to experience the real Hawaii around the rest of the island.....

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:52 AM
larry

H:
You are right about Waimea Canyon, but Kristin indicated that she only had 8 days for the whole trip and might never return to the Islands. I suggested the helicopter trip because there are some beautiful sections of Kauai that are not accessible by trail or road.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
Kris

Thanks for all of your advice!! I'm sorry if I startled anyone with my heading, but there is so much planning in really so little time. You've all been great - thanks a million!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:21 PM
HappyInHawaii

Kris, I also suggest you take the time to read (and even print out) some of the wonderful advice and tips given previously to people visiting the State of Hawaii.
Use the TEXT SEARCH feature, you can enter just one Island or just highlight Hawaii to get them all.
Do invest in the time to do so; it will be worthwhile, I assure you.