HELP! DO I REALLY WANT TO GO TO MAUI OR KAUI

May 15th, 1999, 06:55 PM
TROY

HELP! DO I REALLY WANT TO GO TO MAUI OR KAUI

I NEED MAJOR HELP ON CHOOSING A FUN, & ROMANTIC VACTION SPOT;I WAS INTERESTED IN HAWAII.I WON A TRIP AND THE HOTELS I COULD STAY IN WOULD BE THE RITZ-CARLTON,KAPALUA;MAUI MARRIOTT;&KAUAI MARRIOTT RESORT & BEACH CLUB, WHICH IS ON ANOTHER ISLAND.ON MY VACTION I BASICALLY WANT TO RELAX,SHOP & HAVE A ROMATIC TIME WITH MY LADY.I HAVE TO CHOOSE FROM 1 OF THOSE 3 HOTELS MENTIONED EARLIER=-=-=-=-SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? HELP PLEASE

May 15th, 1999, 11:04 PM
Sam

Troy,
I just spent a week on Kauai with my wife and we had a wonderful time. From talking to people that have been to both Maui & Kauai, the pace on Kauai is much slower. Lots to see, nice Beaches, and lush scenery. Maui has more of the Night Life to enjoy. So it just depends on what you like. Scan through more postings and I think you will get a good idea. Whatever you decide kick back and Enjoy..

May 17th, 1999, 03:22 AM
Jay Frank

Why are you shouting?

May 17th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Alysa

I have been to Kapalua and it one my least favorite spots. Of the other 2 choices, I would pick the Kauai Marriott. The Maui Marriot is beautiful also, but it's on a busy beach. There will be less night life, less shopping, fewer restaurant choices in Kauai. But if you are looking for a tropical paradise, Kauai's your place.

May 18th, 1999, 01:13 PM
Stacie

I've been to Hawaii 2x and stayed in both Maui and Kauaii. I thought for beaches (swimming, boogie boarding, etc) that Maui was the best. There were some beaches just south of Kihei that were incredible. We practically had them to ourselves. Kauaii was definitely more striking with its lush beauty. The north part of the island is the prettiest, but also the wettest. If you go to Kauaii you should definitely take one of the Zodiac boats along the Napali Coast (hence my email name). That coastline is the most beautiful place in the world. The helicopter ride is incredible as well (unless you get motion sickness like I did). Well worth the $$$$. Have fun!

May 19th, 1999, 09:59 AM
Jill

We spent our honeymoon at the Marriott on Kauai and the Ritz Carlton on Maui. Be careful about the Ritz in the late fall/winter, as that part of Maui tends to get windy and rainy - we needed to drive each day to a sunnier part of the island. There's not much to do on Kauai, so if you want shopping and more action, you might want to choose Maui. Both hotels are beautiful!

May 19th, 1999, 11:41 AM
Dean

I grew up in Hawaii and I always recommend that visitors go to Maui if it's their first time. It has a good mix of tropical paradise and hotel zone dining/shopping. Kauai is beautiful, but some find it a little too quiet. Most of my friends from the mainland that have been to both Maui and Kauai prefer Maui. The Maui Marriott is in a good area and is close to Lahaina, where there's more nightlife and shopping. The Ritz in Kapalua is very nice and about a 1/2 hour away, and the beach is better, but it tends to be a little more windy there. I assume you will have a car, so you can get to a lot of different places on the island pretty easily. The Grand Wailea is also a great hotel/beach to visit for the day. I went to Maui last November and rented a convertible from Alamo for about $40 a day. Well worth the money, if you can find a good deal like that.

May 19th, 1999, 01:07 PM
colleen

My husband and I stayed at the Maui Marriott in Jan. for our honeymoon. I found the area a bit crowded and touristy, however the hotel is very nice, the people there are fantastic and the views are priceless. If you pick Maui Marriott, ask to stay in the side of the building AWAY from the luau. We watched it from our balcony and it was fun the first night. By night three, we wanted to throw up on the musicians!! Talk about loud and repetitive. You'll love the pool area and the beach. (I recommend the ocean-side massage! wow!) Good luck!

May 19th, 1999, 01:56 PM
jayne

I'd like to put in a good word for Maui and Kapalua, which isn't entirely fair since I've never been to Kaui. We've been to Maui twice; the first time we thought the beach at Kapalua was so gorgeous, we decided to stay there the second time. I think it won some magazine award a few years ago as one of the world's most beautiful beaches.Other postings mention beaches in other parts of Maui, and I haven't been to them so I can't compare. I think Maui's strength is its variety; you've got lovely beaches and pretty consistent weather, but also interesting sightseeing in Lahaina, Haleakala volcano, the road to Hana (is it entirely closed?)and other more mountainous jungly areas. The beach areas certainly seem overdeveloped but the countryside was not very touristy, at least last time we were there (7 years ago). Also, we found good snorkeling off the beaches at Kapalua and Black Rock, as well as a boat trip to Molokini.