Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   HELP DECIDEE & QUESTION BETWEEN RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON AND NEWPORT (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-decidee-and-question-between-restaurants-in-boston-and-newport-327500/)

carlota Mar 21st, 2008 02:50 AM

HELP DECIDEE & QUESTION BETWEEN RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON AND NEWPORT

(trip of 10 adults to boston and newport)after reading lots of reviews and posts I've now narrowed the choice of restaurants to:

BOSTON

Hamersleys Bistro
Top of the Hub(because of the views, but maybe you can tell me a nice very near restaurant and so we can just go to the top of the hub to have a drink afterwards)
KO PRIME
Nš9 PARK
Abe&Louie's
Smith&Wollenski (my father LOVES the nyc one)

We just neeed 3-4 dinners and 2-3 more casual places to have lunch

Any other place with a nice view?

Any place to have breakfast or brunch near the hotel?

NEWPORT
we just need 2places:

Mooring
Castle Hill
Spiced Pear
Black Pearl
West Deck
White Horse Tavern

thanks!!!

china_cat Mar 21st, 2008 05:28 AM

those are all nice restaurant choices in Boston. Of the steak houses, I actually like Grill 23 the best, so consider that instead of the chains. And yes, go to Top of the Hub for a drink, not the food.

Other places with a nice view...Meritage in the Boston Harbor Hotel has a nice view of the harbor. Best to go there for an early dinner, so there is light to see though. Or go for brunch.

lvk Mar 21st, 2008 05:50 AM

In Newport, I would choose one place down in the wharf area, such as the Mooring, and one outside of town with great views, such as Castle Hill.

wyatt92 Mar 21st, 2008 07:07 AM

If you're looking for a nice dinner before drinks at Top of the Hub, you could try Sorellina or Abe & Louie's, they are both closeby.

The only thing you're missing is a trip to the North End (Boston's Italian section).

milemarker0 Mar 21st, 2008 07:30 AM

In Newport:

1) Definately Castle Hill
2) The Mooring (or Cooke House, not on your list but next to the Black Pearl and better IMO) mostly for the views, although the food is good too.

2a) West Deck....the food is very good, but if you're coming uin season, the deck outside can be very loud and has a 30-40something party atmosphere.

gyppielou Mar 21st, 2008 08:05 AM

3 steak houses? Really? Or are you choosing one of the three? I'd go with KOPrime for steak night.

I'd definately stick with cocktails at Top of Hub.

You must have dinner in the NorthEnd - Italian. I like Bricco and Prezza for refined Italian. Lots of fine redsauce places as well.

I also like Neptune Oyster in NEnd for fried clams and boardwalk style frenchfries and oysters, lobster rolls or their more refined fish dishes.

If you're in Harvard Square - I'd go for a casual burger at Mr&Mrs Barttleys Burgers and make sure to order the onion rings and a lime ricky. It is a landmark and great burgers.

In the southend, I am a regular at Giacomo's. Chicken Parm, Scampi, Picatta are all great, and the prices are right for a casual night - Could work with Top of the Hub.

Another great room with a view for a cocktail is the upstairs bar at the 4Seasons.

No9Park is an excellent choice, although I usually end up at the Bar ordering from the cafe menu. Lobster gnocchi is a winner, as well as their take on french onion soup with shortribs.

In Newport, I do not like that Scales restaurant. Touristy and over rated to me.

What a fun trip you are planning!

gyppielou Mar 21st, 2008 08:10 AM

Breakfast at The Paramount on Charles Street.

escargot Mar 24th, 2008 08:16 PM

For me, the best steak in Boston (and they still do chateaubriand for one) is the Oak Room at the Copley Plaza Hotel - as well as drinks before or after (esp if a night they have live music) in the Oak bar next to it -

at least during your visit try and have a late afternoon or early evening cocktail in the Oak bar -

but it is old school Boston, and there is a waiter still there from when we were married over.....too many years ago !!

Otherwise, I'd go to Abe & Louie's for more of a scene as well as excellent food
-
you can go to Smith & W if Dad loves it, it is after Oak Room, Abe & Louie's, Grill 23, Mortons, for me....although many of my friends now love Mooo.....
another thought for you.

Hammersley's is excellent, and a favorite of mine.
Take time to enjoy the South End a bit while you are down there - can all ten walk? Then do from the Taj, - walk down Newbury to Clarendon, take a left and go down to Hamersley's on the corner of Tremont and Clarendon - if they are walkers let me know and I will tell you a good 15 min walk to see some of that area -

I agree about a trip to the North End -
I am not sure the South End Giacomo's would be my favorite place with a party of ten - I'd like a tad more room - however, I love Giacomo's and we also frequent it often and you wouldn't be disappointed -
other North End mentioned restaurants are great -

Have you thought about LaVoile? French and on Newbury Street and lovely - we had a large party there recently and it worked out quite well -

Top of the Hub: go for drinks or dessert and drink type thing - have your meal elsewhere -
or just go for the view early one clear day or at night before eating elsewhere -

Four Seasons dining room Aujourd 'hui
Mistral
Sorrelina's is another great option mentioned- marvelous service as well as wonderful food

For a night of truly fine dining, I always love L'Espalier - trying to remember your dates and if they will be in their new home in the Mandarin Oriental yet or still in the brownstone - but that is another possibility

Another fun restaurant, with great food, and cool decor in the South End is Rocca's or Banque -
and Sage is a fabulous restaurant in the South End that had been in the North End -

But perhaps you have a reason after reading posts and knowing your large group, of wanting to choose from the ones you mention, then I would do Hamersley's, Abe and Louies, and No 9 Park

Breakfast/ Brunch - what day of week?
If it is Saturday/Sunday there would be some other options vs. during the week - Clio's at the Eliot, Sonsie's on Newbury Street, Stephanie's, ...
getting ten seated at the same time in some of the great casual diners will be extremely difficult - even during the week sometimes , you may do better with hotels that serve and take reservations -

For Newport
Castle Hill is a must ! Try and get there in time for sunset if you can, b/c it is gorgeous
Mooring or Black Pearl, whichever menu appeals to you