Help, Alaska Experts

May 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Help, Alaska Experts

Hello.. I need some advice concerning a trip to Alaska in August. Sister and I are visiting our nephew, who lives in Soldotna. We arrive in Anchorage on a Wednesday, and leave on the following Tuesday pm, flying out of Kenai in the afternoon, and connecting to Seattle. He will meet us in Anchorage, and wants to take us to Denali National Park (in his RV) that next day. What is the best plan to see Denali in two days? He has mentioned taking the shuttle bus (believe in the Savage River area), which seems to be an 8 hour journey around the immediate area.
It seems to me this will take up to 3 days to do this, am I wrong? This would leave us 3 days to see the Kenai (Seward- perhaps Exit Glacier- Kasiloff River Rafting, Tustumena Lake area). Would we be cutting our Kenai visit too short? Need some feedback, am in a quandry, wish we had more time, but the flights are set. Any suggestions would be appreciated....Helen
May 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Half a day from Anc. to the park, full day in the park (in and out), then either you can overnight and return to Anc/Kenai the next day, or you can hit the road when you get off the park shuttle and drive till you drop - around 5 hours back to Anc., another 2 to Seward or 4 to Soldotna. If it's early August you'll have daylight pretty late for driving. And of course if you're in an RV there are plenty of places to stop en route.

Either way, you can easily be in Seward or the Soldotna area by the fourth night after you arrive (i.e. Saturday), giving you 2.5+ days to look around the north part of the Kenai. Tight, but doable.

Search this Thread