Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/help-959884/)

nickieToHawaii Dec 20th, 2012 06:38 AM

help

My husband and I will be travelling to Hawaii next December for the first time. First we are doing a 7 days cruise. Then we have another 10 days to explore. I would like to visit Molokai (leper colony) and then to big Island - Hilo for a couple of days then Kona for the balance of our stay. What order should this be done? How to get around (flying to Molokai from Honolulu after the cruise??) Where would we need a car ? Where to stay that beautiful but reasonable. We are in our mid 60's, so nothing difficult please lol.
Thanks so much in advance for your help. Much appreciated. This forum is great for people who have never been to a certain place.

Tomsd Dec 20th, 2012 07:13 AM

You can fly from Hono to Molokai - but think you could also take a ferry? see this for more info. http://visitmolokai.com/faq.php

For visiting the leper colony - it used to be down the mountain trial - by mule - but there may be other tours available.

And yes, I would suggest a car if you want to see the beauty of both Molokai and the Big Island.

From Molokai to Hilo - probably best through Maui and down the beautiful east side of the Big Island into Hilo - and then after checking out Akaka Falls and the Volcano, etc - from Volcano over to Kona is about a 2 hour drive - longer if you want to stop and enjoy some of the sights.

From Kona - direct flights back to Hono.

Marginal Dec 20th, 2012 07:26 AM

No one calls Honolulu "Hono".

If you want to drive from Volcano ot Kona, you should allow 4 hours. It is not a 2 hour drive.

janisj Dec 20th, 2012 09:14 AM

nickieToHawaii: "<i>Where to stay that beautiful but reasonable.</i>

Reasonable could mean pretty much anything. What is your actual budget?

You'll want a car on the Big Island

Marginal: "<i>No one calls Honolulu "Hono". </i>"

Except for one who calls Yosemite 'yo' (yes - seriously)

Tomsd Dec 20th, 2012 09:47 AM

Marginal: One can make the drive in about 2 hours - maybe a little more - if necessary.

BTW - since you live on BI - how do you know what others call Honolulu? Heard it called Hono since the 70's./

And of course, Janisj has to chime in on everything.

Suzie Dec 20th, 2012 09:54 AM

And the arguing begins. I feel sorry for the OP and suggest nickie just go to Trip Advisor for a better experience and avoid the mess this will turn into.

Lookin_Glass Dec 20th, 2012 10:03 AM

We absolutely loved our 4 nights on Molokai with the soul purpose of visiting Kalaupapa by mule. This was a few years ago. Not sure if you were considering a fly in day trip or a couple of nights on island. Check in with the Buzzy and he'll update you on options. He's a great guy.

http://www.muleride.com/rates.asp

Tomsd might mean well but flying into Maui only to travel to the ferry is not a viable option, or cost effective option.

We stayed on the very east end, which is 1 1/2 hours out of town - although some of the most beautiful miles you'll drive. So do rent a car. Here is an old trip report I posted under a previous screen name.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

I'd consider a couple of nights.

On your cruise, I would schedule a rental car for the days you are at port on Maui and Kauai and explore on your own, unless there is a ship sponsored excursion that really grabs you. There are plenty of day trips one can do on their own rather then be shuttled around in a bus. Much more time effective.

Good luck with your plans.

charnees Dec 20th, 2012 12:24 PM

I don't know how you could get from Volcano to Kona in two hours. Call it three at least. Hilo side of the Big Island is pretty, very tropical jungle-looking, but of course the reason is that it rains. A Lot. Like nearly every day. Hilo is much more down-home than Kona as a result, though.

You will absolutely need a car to get around the islands.

suze Dec 20th, 2012 01:32 PM

You need a rental car on every island except Oahu.

I have never once heard Honolulu called "Hono".

The drive is more than 2 hours.

sunbum1944 Dec 20th, 2012 07:15 PM

I visited Kalaupapa in the late 60's. I was a nurse in Honolulu at the time and we were invited to the colony by a couple of the residents - who we met at the hospital. We spent 2 or 3 nights there as their guests.

We flew into the colony in a small plane- I don't know if they still do that. It was a fascinating experience especially since we had our personal tour guides and historians.
When we visited there were only 12 active cases of leprosy - there may not be any now since it has pretty much been eliminated.

mms- what years were you in Honolulu?

Fodorite018 Dec 21st, 2012 07:10 AM

Sunbum--We were never stationed there, but DH was there often for work. Most of his time there was in the late 90's/up to 2004. We have visited as a family, and will be back in a month, staying at the Hale Koa. Which, DH being career military, never referred to Honolulu as Hono, and neither did any of his shipmates, and I have never heard it called that when we have been there.

I agree with Suze, no rental car is needed in Honolulu. Most things can be done on foot, but the bus will work for some of the further out attractions.

22tango Dec 21st, 2012 07:38 AM

Nickie, Molokai and the Big Island aren't typical destinations for first-time Hawaii visitors. Do you have particular reasons for choosing them?

charnees Dec 21st, 2012 11:12 AM

Honu is a strange name to call the city. It is no more acceptable than San Fran, IMO.

suze Dec 21st, 2012 12:55 PM

charnees, or worse yet "Frisco" :-)

WhereAreWe Dec 21st, 2012 01:15 PM

If Marginal hadn't associated Honolulu with Hono I would've thought Hono was some little town I hadn't heard of yet. It certainly looks like it could be a separate town on some island. The names of Hawaiian towns/cities are hard enough to spell/pronounce without adding in Hono as a shortcut for Honolulu. Please, for clarity's sake just type the 4 extra letters and save everyone the confusion.

Tomsd Dec 21st, 2012 02:15 PM

My last comment on "Hono". Was used all the time in the Military and even by some of my law school classmates who were from Honolulu. It was especially used in "traffic" - aka messaages - which means - communications that were used prior to people having the internet.

Know that must be hard for some of ye to imagine. :)

Tomsd Dec 21st, 2012 02:19 PM

And from the Volcano webpage - they indicate it's about a two and a half hour drive from Volcano to Kona:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/directions.htm

WhereAreWe Dec 21st, 2012 02:29 PM

It doesn't matter what locals or those familiar with Honolulu call it. Visitors on this board are usually completely unfamiliar with Hawaii and have never heard of Hono - so you just wind up confusing people. I know that must be hard for you to imagine but it's true.

If you want to give good advice, type out the 4 extra letters. If you want to be stubborn and try to show how you have some special inside knowledge of the area, keep calling it Hono and leaving newbies to wonder what the hell you're talking about.

Marginal Dec 21st, 2012 03:28 PM

One has to decide what is the motive of a response to a travel question:

1. Is it to provide useful and clear information?

2. Is it to promote one's ego or let others see one's personal experience.

They may not be the same.

Lookin_Glass Dec 21st, 2012 03:32 PM

I'm unclear about the intent of your post 22Tango, or why you surmise what a typical first time visitor would want to see.

The OP seemed very clear to me that after touring the islands via cruiseship, they would like to visit Kalaupapa and Volcano.

I hope I have offered some bit of help.