Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rainy forecast for long weekend in Portland. Visit or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly discouraged by the forecast of rain for this upcoming weekend. Thinking it would be nice to visit for a quick getaway but don't want to be indoors everyday. What's typical when the forecast calls for 40%/50% chance of rain? May choose to visit in the Spring. Any thoughts?
Thx.

Sean
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I'm a great portland fan. even if it rains, you can go to the japanese garden, drive around the coumbia river gorge, and go to timberline lodge.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Don't count on having a better chance for good weather in the Spring. September is usually one of our drier months. Unfortunately, this year I think we're paying for unusually dry July and August.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Oops! Hit post too soon!

The weather person I listen to said it may be snowing at Timberline Lodge this weekend. To answer your question, there really is no "typical." It may not rain at all; it may rain half the day; it may rain all day. This time of year, 50% could be thought of as the probability of the forecaster being right.

IMO, sightseeing in the rain is no fun. But, if it's more a shopping, walking-around-the-city visit, the possibility of rain shouldn't impact your plans.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:57 AM

It can rain any time of the year in Portland. Spring probably gives you worse odds of rainy weather than September. Actually it seems to have been a very dry summer. Only recently have we been getting much rain at all.

There are things to do indoors - depends why you want to come to Portland. Powell's Books for one - if you love books, you could spend a day there. Also, it probably won't be that cold. If you want to walk around and see the city, you can still do that in the rain. Just wear the appropriate clothes. A little water won't hurt you!

Andrew
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Also, when it rains here it is often a light rain and not a steady downpour. It was supposed to rain this past weekend, too, but it was actually pretty nice most of the time. If you let a little rain in the forecast stop you, you'll never come to Portland!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Good point, pdxgirl! What's a little rain? Just visiting to walk around a bit, see a couple of the gardens, eat, nothing big. Thx for all the replies.

Sean
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM

We will be there Monday !!

I am prepared for every sort of weather..I am using Fodor advice to convince the Yankee that I really do need to pack this much clothing
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM

LOL Scarlett, I have names my suitcase "Big Bertha!" and my husband just refers to it as "it." We sometimes go to the coast for half of the summer, is I really pack that thing to the brim!!

I hope you have a great trip, let us know which places are your favorites! Is Paley's Place on your list for nice eats? Also, not mentioned to often here is the Portland City Grill. It is up 30 stories high, my son said the views are just gorgeous and the food was really good.

Of course, he had to have the $80/plate lobster, he was celebrating his engagement earlier in the evening. How excited you must be getting for your trip. ***kim***
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Hey Scarlett- Hope you have a great time! I know you've got lots of good tips!

Atl rider- Portland almost always has a 50% chance of rain!

The good news is that usually it is the kind of rain you can still go walking in, especially if the temp is not too cold.

It POURED (even some flooding) three days of my week last month and didn't stop us from doing anything except we had a picnic inside, instead of out.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Scarlett, You are making a tactical error! The Norm Thompson flagship store is in Portland on Thurman Avenue (near NW 23rd St.) and you can buy clothes there that you didn't think to pack! Lots of other good shopping, as well. Have fun!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Kal

If your going with loved one, one of the most romantic weekends Mrs Kal and I spent was a long, rainy weekend in Portland at The Governor Hotel.
I think there still steam comin' outta that room. :-"

I vote "Go".

Hey b'bum-'zup?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Well, Kal, there will be steam comin out of the 5th Avenue Suites this year!
Thank you Orcas! I am definitely saving room for the shopping, Nordstroms, I believe, is right around the corner from our hotel.
I am waiting to buy a rain jacket/coat in PDX ... I figure I should be able to find one
It is the number of shoes that I am bringing that has the Yankee wondering~ I am sure there are ladies out there who understand~
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Another vote to go! If any city knows how to live in the rain it's Portland(ok maybe Seattle too). It's a great place to visit. Walk around and listen to the rain patter on your umbrellas, hit the art museum, shop the Pearl District,eat wonderful food any number of places, take naps, go to the movies,
spend a few hours at Rejuvenation if you're on old house owner...the list goes on. I agree you'll have no guarantee the weather will be any better in the Spring.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Scarlett - be sure to check out the Columbia Sportswear flagship store for rain jackets. It's downtown as well. Better yet, check out one of their two outlet stores (not downtown, but worth seeking out for some very good deals on active wear).
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Shoes! LOL I pack an entire extra bag for those! Then just add the ones I purchase while on the trip! ***kim***
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Kal-what is the Governor Hotel like? Is it right in downtown Portland? Is that the place where they have the London Grill?

Is it an older, historical-type place? I love places like that! ***kim***
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great info. My wife and I were scheduled to leave tomorrow but we've had a death in the family, so we'll have to make plans to visit some other time

When is the best time to visit Portland?

Sean
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Sorry to heat that.

As far as the best time, it all depends on what you like. Most people prefer dry, and our times for that are typically mid July through September. This September is totally contradictive of what I just said though, lol! If you don't mind a bit of rain, then the spring to early summer can be quite nice.

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Obviously no one can predict the weather in advance, but September is usually considered the best month to visit Oregon. Chance of rain is smaller than average but the kids are back in school so there aren't as many tourists, etc.

Andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -