Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hearst Castle which tour? Husband, wife, kids ages 9-14 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hearst-castle-which-tour-husband-wife-kids-ages-9-14-a-391105/)

kendu Jan 24th, 2004 05:02 AM

Hearst Castle which tour? Husband, wife, kids ages 9-14

Going ot Hearst Castle on route from SF to Anaheim. Which is the best tour for kids with average interest in history ages 9-14, which tour should I take and is the movie or any other component worth it? Finally, is the drive to the castle overwhelming as far as heights or is that only approaching the castle itself?
Thanks

caribtraveler Jan 24th, 2004 07:03 AM

hi..we were there in 2000 so i can't begin to remember which tour is best. but i'd suggest you pick one that shows the indoor and outdoor pools. i'd think that one would interest your kids. we didn't do the movie so can't advise you there.
you won't drive yourself to the castle. their buses will take you there. i don't remember it being overwhelming despite the height and the windy road.
enjoy.

Susan56 Jan 24th, 2004 07:04 AM

We were there this summer with kids ages 16 and 13. We took the general introduction tour. I had thought we would take a second tour, but the general overview/intro tour was fine. The kids liked it a lot and it was just enough information.

kendu Jan 24th, 2004 10:07 AM

Thanks everyone. Susan 56, did the introduction tour include the two pools Fodorites are talking about?
Thanks
ken

Susan56 Jan 24th, 2004 12:42 PM

Kendu - Yes, the introduction tour includes both the indoor and outdoor pools. We saw some of the main house (I remember the dining room, and large living room) and a guest cottage.

Sandra_NH Jan 24th, 2004 03:27 PM

Last summer did tour #2 the afternoon we arrived, and tour # 4 the following morning. Enjoyed tour # 4 much more.

Being outdoors most of the time gave us more perspective of the size and wealth involved in building the castle and guest houses. The private quarters of tour # 2 were intersting but no lingering to look or take photos. There is always another tour just before or after yours. On tour # 4 you are outside most of the time. There was more time and space to take photos. The guide had a story for each stop, the locker rooms for the pool, indoor as well as outdoor pool, hidden terrace,the wine cellar, the guest houses where Hearst lived out his final years.
I think being outdoors in the fresh air may work out better for those traveling with kids.

anne321 Jan 24th, 2004 07:18 PM

we were there last september and did the evening tour. it was great, it is a combination of tours 1 and 2, you will see both pools which look amazing in the evening light. Also, on the evening tours they have people playing the parts of visitors to the house. It would fun for the kids if they don't mind all the stairs. I think this tour is only available in Spring and Fall. Have fun I think the kids will enjoy it no matter which tour you take.

mmee Jan 25th, 2004 09:31 PM

We're there in late Dec last yr. We took the Introduction tour. If you've a big group, they would give you a group discount when you pre-order your tickets over the phone. It's good to go for the movie first to understand the background/history of the castle before you hop onto the tour bus that brings you up to the castle. You would park your car at the visitor's center. My kids, ages 5-7 enjoyed themselves. Look out for zebras as they grazed together with the cattles at the foot of the hill. Altho the castle is situated on top of a hill, it doesn't give you any height anxiety as you travel up or while you're there.