Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hearst Castle - WHICH Tour Best? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hearst-castle-which-tour-best-604220/)

Sallie27 Apr 1st, 2006 04:23 AM

Hearst Castle - WHICH Tour Best?

Hello! I'm going to Hearst Castle at the end of April and have already taken the "Experience Tour." I'm coming with a friend who has never been to any tours. Any opinions on "which tour is best"? I know it depends on individual taste but just wondering if anyone could give some opinions. Thanks!!!

cwojo99 Apr 1st, 2006 04:27 AM

I went last year and took the 1st Tour - it was recommended for those who haven't visited before. It was beautiful, got some great pictures (the gardens, pools, dining area, more).

I didn't realize it was a higher elevation and wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt. I recommend, depending on when you go, check the weather up top!

8-)

happytrailstoyou Apr 1st, 2006 06:32 AM

I've taken Tour 1 and Tour 2, and I enjoyed Tour 2 much more because the guide was experienced and had a wealth of information whereas our guide on Tour 1 was a retired police officer who was way out of his league trying to describe a grand home filled with art objects. I gather that the best guides "graduate" out of Tour 1.

mlgb Apr 1st, 2006 08:15 AM

I had a great guide on Tour 1. Being a docent is an individual thing, there is no script. Just the luck of the draw.

NorthwestMale Apr 1st, 2006 11:10 AM

When visiting with someone who has never been before, assuming they ARE interested, how can you not opt for a repeat of "tour #1"??

Not only is it common courtesy, but it keeps you from having to worry about which tour to take.

I've been to the Castle twice, and took tour #1 both times, the second for the benefit of a friend in the newspaper biz who was making his first visit there.

Sallie27 Apr 1st, 2006 12:53 PM

Oh, I'm not being selfish...she doesn't care either way, really, and I don't want to see the same tour twice. :)

happytrailstoyou Apr 1st, 2006 04:32 PM

Highlights of Tour 2 include visiting extravagant bedrooms and the indoor swimming pool. You also get to see the famous out door pool, included on Tour 1, and our guide gave us fascinating information about the exterior of the building.

trippinkpj Apr 1st, 2006 04:39 PM

Central and North CA Coast wardrobe/ weather tip: wear layers and that includes long pants, LOL.

sightseer Apr 2nd, 2006 01:05 PM

Check to see if the evening tour is available for your visit. My brother lives in the area, so I've been on all of the tours over the years. The evening tour is magical and my definite favorite. A little longer in duration than the other tours and not the crowds found during the day.

djdave May 19th, 2006 04:54 AM

My wife and I plan to do at least the #1 tour in July, but she's specifically interested in the garden tour. Has anyone taken that one? Do you get to see as much of the gardens on the first tour as you do in the garden tour?

kachinadoll May 19th, 2006 06:54 AM

If I remember #1 tour does part of the garden. I know that my ex and I found this place amazing, so I'm sure that any tour, from what I hear from my relatives...will be lovely. We took panoramic shots that turned out incredible. Book your tickets and hotel way ahead. We couldn't find a place near by, because we had left it too late, and had to drive through winding and hilly roads (though great scenery) for about an hour. Some tours start really early, so this could be a problem if you are not prepared. Also the clothing suggestions of a light jacket or layering is a good idea. There are some lovely little hotels close by in Cambria or San Simeon. The last time we visited the area, we stayed at a nice, clean little Mexican Hotel with a pretty water fountain outside. Another time we stayed at San Simeon Pines Golf Resort, which is situated on a very pretty lot, not too expensive and have foxes that nest in the low hanging trees. There are walking paths across the street that overlook the beach which are very scenic. I believe there is also a park closeby. If you are going to this area you should really check out Cambria, a cute little artist colony which have beautiful houses and hotels/motels overlooking the beach. There is a great little indoor/outdoor restaurant there where you can get breakfast/lunch and a tan at the same time. In the colder months they put heaters outside for you. Also the actual San Simeon has the original docks and country store (beachside) where the shipments of goods came in for Hearst Castle. I think there is a tiny park there too.Another very interesting thing to see... look for cars parked on the beachside in the middle of nowhere and you will find the Natural Sea Elephants reserve.I don't think there are signs. You will see folks walking around, looking down and taking photos. We spent about an hour and a half each time we went. Lots of Sea Lions to see too. This and Montery/Carmel are some of my favorite areas of California, although take warning, it is a high allergy area for vegetaion, so if you have allergies, make sure you have medication, eyedrops and puffers along with you. Avoid Big Sur at "night", dangerous, without scenery and it gets dark fast as the ocean mist rolls in.

sequess May 19th, 2006 01:16 PM

I live not too far away from Hearst Castle so it's a usual stop when I have visitors. The tours often run at similar times so I have taken a separate tour from my guests on occasion. Now that I've taken all the tours I usually go along on Tour 1 with them. Tour 2 is an interesting tour. The garden tour was a dissapointment to me.

Barbara May 19th, 2006 04:02 PM

I'm about to book a tour here, probably number 1 as none of us has been before. My question is, I notice that the web site tells how many stairs in each tour. What are the stairs like? Are they steep and hard to climb, or are they pretty easy? I ask because my mother, who's 83, is coming too and although she's very fit and active, I don't want to push her too much!

happytrailstoyou May 19th, 2006 06:58 PM

The tours are open to people of all ages and all stages of vigor and decrepitude.

The stairs are the kind a wealthy man requests for his castle.

If your mother can climb stairs, she can climb the ones at San Simeon.

Barbara May 19th, 2006 07:59 PM

Thanks very much, happytrails.