My friend and I will be driving from Big Sur to LA in August and are wanting to stop at the Hearst Castle. We only have time for one tour. Preliminary research has people saying two different things: 1) First timers should do the Grand Rooms tour and then 2) The Grand Rooms tour is crowded and too short (not enough rooms).
I'd love to get some other perspectives so we can choose which tour to take. We're late 30's - early 40's women, no kids. We are artist types and love historical things, architecture, costumes, etc.
We'll be there too early for the evening tour, unfortunately. Should we follow everyone's advice and do the Grand Rooms tour, despite the crowds and few rooms? Or should we go crazy and see the Upstairs rooms or the Cottages & Kitchens.
I very much appreciate any feedback!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to Cali
- 2 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 3 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 4 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 5 NY theater district restaurant
- 6 Quiet Restaurant in Minneapolis for a celebratory dinner with a deaf guest
- 7 Big Sur weather in early December
- 8 PAC coast highway Oregon
- 9 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 10 Lake Quinault Lodge
- 11 Our next summer trip
- 12 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 13 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 14 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 15 Family winter holiday
- 16 Dulles to BWI
- 17 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 18 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 19 Lodging in Yellowstone Park
- 20 Asheville, SC to Knoxville, TN Transportation
- 21 Kauai for a week: advice needed
- 22 Advice Nashville to Washington D.C please!
- 23 February trip San Fran to Yosemite...
- 24 glacier national park to yellowstone route
- 25 Where to Eat on Kauai?
Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?