Search

chelsea New York

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chelsea New York

Can anyone suggest some mid-range accomodation (around $180pn) in the Chelsea Park area, preferably near a subway into Manhattan? Have already booked to stay in Times Square for our Nov first-time visit but was thinking that we might try to get into a "quieter" area. Any suggestions please!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM

I'm really confused. Isn't Chelsea Park the same as Chelsea? If so, it is already in Manhattan so how would one take a subway into Manhattan?

Or is there a Chelsea Park in Brooklyn or Queens or maybe New Jersey?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Sweetie darling, Chelsea is in Manhattan. It is not called Chelsea Park. There is an actual Chelsea Park somewhere behind FIT. It is a park, like Union Sq. Park.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

pardon me....am from downunder and totally confused! Just looking at mapquest and I thought that perhaps a good area to put up and easy to get to visit touristy sites as well as away from the noise would be around Chelsea Park?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Not much in the way of hotels in that area of town. You might check www.hotels.com for suggestions on hotels.

Chelsea is a neighborhood in Manhattan on the west side ruffly south of 30th St and north of 14th St. Bounded by around 5th Ave to the Hudson River.

You might try and find a map of Manhattan for more specifics.

All that said, there are hotels you might like off 6th Ave in the upper 20's and it would be quieter in that area, but really if you have a good rate at your hotel in Times Square, I'd stay don't bother with changing hotels. You are only talking about staying at another hotel about a mile away (20 city blocks to the mile), and everything is walkable or bus/train ride away.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks travelbuff.....couldnt help noticing you are up late! I will stay put in the middle of it all.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:32 AM

There are 3 or 4 hotels in Chelsea, plus a wide range of restaurants. Not sure if you can get something for $180, though. The Chelsea Savoy is probably the cheapest of the hotels there, and it's a very good location at 7th Ave. and 23rd St. There's also a Four Points by Sheraton that you might want to check out.

There are many more hotels in the Murray Hill area on the east side, which is primarily residential and quieter than the Times Square area.

Whether you can find a hotel in your price range depends on the season as much as anything else. Search Expedia or the web sites of specific hotels to see what pops up.

The Pod Hotel is almost always under $180 per night, but note that the cheapest rooms are exceptionally small and have bunk beds and shared baths. But there are rooms with double beds and private baths, and these are sometimes under $180 a night. It's in a good area and is brand-new.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Sweetie, stop saying "Chelsea Park." Everyone will think that you want a hotel specifically around 10th Ave/27th Street where the Chelsea Park is located. That is an actual green park. You want to say "Chelsea" because that is a neighbourhood.

I can't think of any good reason you have to stay in Chelsea if you are a tourist. It would be better for you to stay around Times Square or UES to be in a prime location to visit the major tourist sites, Broadway, museums, and shopping. You can just cab it downtown to go out and party at night.

The most famous hotel in Chelsea is the Chelsea Hotel. This is the hotel Edie Sedgewick almost burned down. Legendary.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:44 AM

kimmos, you mentioned you are using Mapquest. May I suggest that you try Google maps (maps.google.com): the street grid is more detailed than Mapquest - even includes most subway stops, which Mapquest for some reason can't display(!) - and if you look at Google's Satellite or Hybrid views, you can actually see a bit of what a neighborhood looks like. (If you zoom in, you can even see pedestrians and street traffic!) The street grid view is the Map button.

Additionally, if you want a peek at public transit options, use the maps at http://mta.info - go to Maps, then NYC Transit. The subway map will show you all the lines, but is not completely geographically accurate. The Manhattan Bus map is a good reference to see a geographically accurate view of the city: subway lines are displayed (though the bus lines are most prominent); look for thin gray lines to see the subway lines on this map.

Don't bother to print out the MTA maps: you can pick them up for free at any subway station.

I hope this helps with your plans!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

sorry, had not been into this site to check ....thanks everyone!