Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Healdsburg Vs Sonoma (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/healdsburg-vs-sonoma-761408/)

Cdowden Jan 14th, 2009 11:33 AM

Healdsburg Vs Sonoma

We will be in California for 10 days, June 7-13, three nights in wine country. We're trying to decide which area to stay in near or in the plaza - Healdsburg vs Sonoma. Four adults, who love wine, great food, shopping and beautiful views.

Thanks.
CoCo

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 14th, 2009 12:16 PM

Split 6 days between Healdsburg and Sonoma 2 years ago. I've often reflected on which one I liked/enjoyed best and can see arguments for both. This trip was just my wife and I and we focused mainly on eating, drinking, hiking and just moseying around (shopping was an afterthought).

In general, we liked the slower, smaller and more romantic feel of Sonoma, but with another couple, I'd guess that Healdsburg would be a better match. You can't go wrong with either though, IMO.

LLindaC Jan 14th, 2009 12:34 PM

I prefer Healdsburg because of the more central location. Also, I like the restaurants ( Willi's) and shopping better. There are a bunch of tasting rooms you can walk to. more than Sonoma. And Rosenblum is fantastic!

janiekins Jan 14th, 2009 01:20 PM

I like the town of Healdsburg more than I like the town of Sonoma.

Healdsburg as better restaurants (Cyrus, Dry Creek Kitchen, Willis, Cena Luna), and more tasting rooms. I thinke it is a bit more upscale than Sonoma.

Cdowden Jan 14th, 2009 03:07 PM

Thanks!
Healdsburg it is. What about a hotel there? have a few on my list. My husband does not like B&B's.

socialworker Jan 14th, 2009 03:59 PM

We have stayed at Madrona Manor twice and would go again in a heartbeat!!

StuDudley Jan 14th, 2009 05:05 PM

>>we liked the slower, smaller and more romantic feel of Sonoma<<

Are you sure you're not confusing Healdsburg with some other city? I don't know the populations, but it seems to me that Sonoma is much larger than Healdsburg (I've lived in the Bay Area for 34 years.)

I much prefer Healdsburg.

Stu Dudley

kleroux Jan 14th, 2009 05:20 PM

I think Healdsburg is more charming. The central plaza square in Sonoma is out of scale for the area..way too big. But as for places to stay, why not look into vacation rentals? I suggest people check out www.sonomacountyvacations.com and see if something there fits your needs. There are also lots of VRBO's for Healdsurg too.

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 15th, 2009 05:47 AM

Per Wiki, Healdsburg's population is larger (but not by much). I also remember it to have a busier commercial areas and more traffic. But agree that for 2 couples Healdsburg is a better choice.

But just so a future reader thinks the town of Sonoma lacks good restaurant options, we had very good meals at Girl and the Fig, Deuce and Cafe La Haye.

StuDudley Jan 15th, 2009 06:42 AM

Brian

Your recollection of Sonoma is sure different than mine. When I think of Sonoma, I think of too much commerce.

Perhaps the perceived population difference is because Healdsburg is all alone out there with mostly vineyards around it. Sonoma has several other cities adjacent. For example, the Sonoma Mission Inn is in Boyes Hot Springs - a dump of a town that kinda flows into the town of Sonoma, and you really can't tell where one town ends & another begins.

When we're in the main squares of each town, we have to drive farther in Sonoma to get away from commerce & dense buildings & get into open countryside & vineyards. Sonoma just seems larger to me.

Stu Dudley

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 15th, 2009 06:59 AM

I was commenting only on the central "town" itself, not the surrounding area. My context was from the view of someone who's parked the car and is walking around the town.

kimamom Jan 15th, 2009 09:14 AM

The Hotel Healdsburg is very nice with great amenities. If you do stay in Healdsburg, don't miss Cyrus for a meal, we have been twice now. You can book reservations on opentable and reservations must be secured with a credit card for Cyrus. Definitely one of the best restaurants in the wine country. Have fun! ***kim*** ((#))