Healdsburg or nearby itinerary and B&B suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to research a trip to wine country for early March. Initally I thought Napa but from reading various posts it seems like we might have a great trip for possibly less money if we focus on Sonoma. Many posters mention Healdsburg as a good spot. I am looking for a room, probably in a B&B, for about $200. Any specific recommendations or am I shooting too low?

We are a couple in our 50's who usually go to Europe for our vacations so haven't done a lot in the U.S. We are active, interested in history, wine (of course), and have never been to this part of California though I lived in LA for almost 30 years. I'd appreciate any help/itinerary suggestions.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at the Haydon St Inn in Healdsburg last March.

http://www.haydon.com/

We were in a Queen room and it was under $200 a night. You can walk into town from the Inn. The bed was very comfortable, but the room and the bath were small. The price was right though so I did not mind the size. They serve a full breakfast and I remember it was very good, but don't remember exactly what it was. You will have a great time in Sonoma.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM

We've stayed at both the Hayden Street Inn and the Grape Leaf Inn, liked em both, but an edge to the Grape Leaf.
You might also consider the city of Sonoma, there's a great B&B there, Ramekins, this is upstairs from the cooking school by the same name. Short walk to the plaza. Lots of history in Sonoma, including one of the first wineries, Buena Vista and many other good choices. Easy drive to Napa if you want to include that part of the area as well.
Also, just a few miles outside Healdsburg is the Farmhous Inn, great place to stay and an even better restaurant.
You can also easily drive over to the coast or follow the Russian River to interesting little towns.
Sonoma, on the whole, is much more enjoyable than Napa for my money.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM

If you want to consider a vacation rental, usually a small house or apartment, rather than a B&B, I'd check out www.sonomacountyvacations.com .. they have several pages of vacation rentals in the Healdsburg area. I think they are listed by price, so I'd go to the last page and see if anything works for you.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies - I had great luck in the past by staying at places that were specific recommendations from posters on this site!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM

I prefer the town of Healdsburg over Sonoma because of a more central location. I LOVE the Grape Leaf, but it's not cheap. We also stayed at the Camellia Inn...easy walk to town and all the tasting rooms, shops and restaurants. I think it will fit your budget.

Suki, a friend of mine used to date the chef/owner of Haydon Street. He was the chef at Churchill Downs here in Louisville. They get rave reviews about the food, but get tons of negative reviews about the woman there....Keren. People have written pretty intense reviews about how rude she is to guests. Did you experience that?

Anyway, we've been twice in March and it is QUIET. You'll likely meet many owners and winemakers. You may find a good deal on a room at www.luxurylink.com as well. Check websites for deals in March. The only downside is that the vines aren't yet blooming, so it's pretty stark. Usually foggy and cool till about noon...check out weather.com before you go.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM

If you are in Healdsburg the weekend of March 7-8, you might be interested in the Russian River Wine Road barrel tastings:

http://www.wineroad.com/annualevents/3

Also, an alternative to Healdsburg and Sonoma is Kenwood. There was an interesting article in today's SF Chronicle about Kenwood:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TR5S153Q2U.DTL

March can be a beautiful time to visit the vineyards with the vines recently pruned and the wild mustard blooming everywhere.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's funny, Linda, because I was going to mention that she was well, a tad cold. Honestly, I have pretty thick skin and she didn't bother me a bit but she did seem to dislike my husband. He used a coffee mug at breakfast instead of the china cup and she didn't seem to approve of that. I can't remember the specifics but there were a few interactions that weren't very warm. She is just a bit sour. It became a joke between DH & me. I'd stay there again though because the location was godd, the food was very good & the price was fair. Just don't try to chat up the innkeeper.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Madrona Manor!
http://www.madronamanor.com/property.htm

Michelin starred restaurant, wonderful personalized service and the perfect ambiance.

The owners and manager lived in Europe for many years and they bring a special flair to the manor.