Healdsburg in Wine Country - What is it like?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:31 PM
macdebbie

Healdsburg in Wine Country - What is it like?

I have read alot about Healdsburg in Northern Sonoma, and it sounds really nice. In fact one guide goes so far as to say that it is a more charming town that any in Napa or Sonoma central.

Anyone been there and have comments? We found 2 places that we really like - the Belle de Jour Inn and the Haydon Inn. I just don't want to make a mistake and be stuck in the boonies. Our second choice is Gaige House in Glen Ellen.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Mel

Hi. I've never had occasion to stay in Healdsburg, so I can't comment on hotels. As for the town though, I've been there a few times and really enjoyed it. There is a central square ringed by shops and restaurants - very attractive. No strip mall type feel. Personally, I prefer the more rural (and less crowded) style of Sonoma over Napa. It's less fancy, but it's definitely not the boonies. You're also well positioned to visit some my favorite appellations - the chalk hill, dry creek, and russion river valleys.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:48 PM
kam

Healdsburg is our favorite town in Sonoma and our favorite hotel is Madronna Manor, just outside downtown. You certainly won't be in the "boonies". I certainly agree with your guide book. Gaige House in Glen Ellen is quite lovely. Have fun.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Trent

I just got back from Napa and Sonoma on 9/2. I have been three times. I have not stayed in Sonoma before. I really prefer Napa over Sonoma. There are many more wineries and they are all relatively close together. You can really maximize your time in Napa. The wineries in the Sonoma area are much more spread out. A really nice winery to visit in Healdsburg is Ferrari Carrano.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:13 AM
linda

Agree about your choice, but Ferrari is a bit north of Healdsburg, closer to Geyserville. We stayed in Healdsburg at a B&B- the Camellia Inn. We walked to dinner, shopping, etc and loved it. I thought it was one of the most charming places I've ever seen and would live there in a heartbeat!They had some great tasting rooms in town as well.I disagree with the post about Napa. To each his own, but I didn't like the traffic and crowds in Napa. The wineries are a bit more "spread out " in Sonoma, but there are PLENTY within a 15-mile radius and they are every bit as good as Napa's.How many can you do in a day, really? HIC! The scenery is lovely and you don't have the constant noise from cars and trucks.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Grasshopper

The Madrona Manor is awesome. Also consider The Inn on the Plaza and Calderwood, both in town and both very nice. The Dry Creek Wineries, Russian River Wineries and Alexander Valley Wineries offer more than enough options for you. It's a beautiful area. I have a travel journal on the area on www.igougo.com if you are interested in specific recommendations.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Ms. Ghost

We've stayed at both Belle de Jour and the Gaige House, the latter as recently as a year ago but the former was some years ago. We really liked both, though I have read some comments of people thinking the rooms on the street at the Gaige House were quite loud. The quieter--albeit very pricey--rooms are on the creek (or back) side of the property, and we were never bothered by noise. At Belle du Jour, we always enjoyed the room with a jacuzzi tub overlooking a pastoral setting.....but that was some years ago. I would be interested to hear of recent impressions of the Inn because since we stayed there, a rather large subdivision has, unfortunately, sprung up near the inn so I don't know how or if the views/privacy/bucolic feeling has been affected.
Simi Winery is right across the street, and as another poster noted, Ferrari Carano is a gorgeous stop--wonderful wines AND gardens. That whole valley is not far from Belle du Jour as it is on the north end of Healdsburg, and it is very picturesque as you can make a whole loop, also stopping at wineries such as Lambert Bridge, A. Rafanelli (by appointment, I believe), Pezzi King, Raymond Burr and too many more to mention.
Healdsburg has much more of a small town feeling than Sonoma, and the plaza is great fun. LOTS of really good restaurants as well--we love Bistro Ralph for lunch (dinner, too, but we just seem to be there more often at lunch). There is a fairly new place near downtown that has a very pretty pool area--I believe it is the Duchamp Hotel. It has separate cottages, very modern in design, but we have friends who have stayed there and love it.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
mjapass

Just got back from a wonderful wine country vacation - 4 nights in Healdsburg, 4 nights in Yountville. Both were lovely with plenty to do! Shopping and restaurants were within walking distance from where I stayed. If you like bike riding, Sonoma has less traffic. Both have great wineries (tastings in Sonoma are less expensive) and both have great restaurants.

Highly recommend the Honor Mansion Inn in Healdsburg...absolutely beautiful and I cannot say enough about the service.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:05 PM
debbie

mjapass:
Where did you stay in Yountville?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Jacquee4

I just spent 2 nights in Healdsburg & stayed at the Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza. IMHO, Healdsburg is the best place to see the Sonoma wine country. It is centrally located to a great # of wineries, many that are also not listed in any books, so be sure to ask around your hotel or inn & restaurants for their favorites. Two great winery finds we made in that area are Davis Bynum & Gary Farell. Healdsburg has a wonderful plaza filled with great little shops. The plus side of staying in or close to the plaza is that you can walk to dinner & not worry about driving home! I'm from NYC & found it to be a very trendy & chic town with a gorgeous country side all in one! Wherever you go- have fun & be safe!!!