Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Heading to So Cal - what to pack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/heading-to-so-cal-what-to-pack-1003941/)

rbnwdln Jan 25th, 2014 10:12 AM

Heading to So Cal - what to pack?

We are going to Orange County for a winter getaway for two weeks. Bye bye Polar Vortex! Starting to pack and as usual, can't decide. It looks like it will be in the low 60's to the high 40's. I am a female in her 60's. (But think I am 38.) I am thinking mostly jeans and .....long sleeve shirts? Sandals or is it too cool for those? Bringing a skirt for dinner in LA. What else? (Seems I am always cold on vacay so I am bringing a couple of light jackets. )
Thanks!

clarkgriswold Jan 25th, 2014 11:33 AM

It's been unseasonably warm and they just said "no real change foreseen for the next couple of weeks". I would expect more like low 70s day and 50s nights. Some short sleeve shirts for sure, and maybe only one jacket!

rbnwdln Jan 25th, 2014 12:14 PM

Clark, them's words to warm a gal's heart. The high on Monday here will be minus 9 degrees. :o)

clarkgriswold Jan 25th, 2014 02:40 PM

You asked what else you should bring......SUNSCREEN!

And an appetite for plenty of ice cream and gelato.

Surfergirl Jan 25th, 2014 05:59 PM

You are coming IN two weeks or FOR two weeks? If the latter, when are you actually coming?

It HAS been unseasonably warm, but you never know when it's going to change. We should be starting our rainy season (if there is such a thing), so a small umbrella might not be a bad thing, just in case.

We all wear jeans just about everywhere, including theatre and and restaurants. Since jeans come in a variety of colors, choose accordingly.

Tops: you can get away with short sleeve shirts, maybe, but consider layering. Even on these "warm" days, I wear long sleeves or 3/4 sleeve shirts; always with a sweat shirt, sweater or jacket. You will definitely need a sweater or jacket late afternoon and at night -- it gets quite chilly (my So. Cal. standards). Having said that, if you're coming from a frigid climate and are used to cold weather, you will definitely have an easier time of it than those of us who live here and think any temperature under 70 degrees is coat and glove time.

Women generally wear sandals during the day and shoes at night.

Goldens Jan 26th, 2014 08:34 AM

Sunglasses!
Have a great time.

rbnwdln Jan 26th, 2014 09:30 AM

We arrive on Wed, the 29th, until Feb 12. Thanks for the help!

clarkgriswold Jan 26th, 2014 10:17 AM

28th and 29th are supposed to hit 80 degrees, then down to 65 for a week. But what do they know, they've been saying 65 for weeks and it's been hitting 72-75 most days.

Anyway, enjoy arrival day, head directly for the beach!

Tomsd Jan 26th, 2014 01:57 PM

Bring the basics and go shopping out here. :)

dina4 Jan 26th, 2014 03:07 PM

For a day with the high in mid-60s, i would definitely wear a sweater and closed-toe shoes. but being a socal girl, i wear my north face parka if it's low 60s and my gloves if we dip into 50s. i'm sure it will all feel so gloriously warm here after what you've experienced the past month.
layering is the best advice. and i wouldn't wear sandals at night, but fine during the day.

POlson Jan 27th, 2014 04:42 AM

What to pack for LA....
Sweaters for the evenings and easy layering, pretty sandals for beaches and dining, comfy sandals for shopping and museums, jeans are pretty much welcome everywhere, sundresses are ubiquitous on girls (even us girls of a certain age), a pair of tennis shoes or trailrunners for hikes in the canyons or foothills or Malibu or theme parks, comfy but cute sweats and t-shirt for morning yoga or strolls to the Farmer's Market, swimsuit but also board shorts and a rash guard for sun protection, one nicer outfit and heels if you feel like dressing up for dinner (but really not necessary, so suit yourself). Sunglasses and sunscreen for sure. Patience for traffic.

rbnwdln Jan 27th, 2014 09:01 AM

Yes, sounds like I have packed correctly. Cannot wait. Bye bye ten below zero!!!!

mrwunrfl Jan 27th, 2014 07:14 PM

A "light" jacket wouldn't do it for me and I am one who does not mind cold.

Not your style, but for comparison purposes this is what I consider to be my winter outerwear: http://tinyurl.com/k2pmbhb which is described as a fleece lined heavyweight sweatshirt. The hood is a nice-to-have feature.

That is less than dina4's parka but more than a light jacket. You probably won't experience the 40F temps, those are overnight lows, but a warm jacket would be useful at night - especially if you are going to be near the beach.

I thought that the fog a few days ago was the arrival of winter here in Orange County but it has been warm. The relative humidity has, thankfully, been higher for the last week or so. None of the cold rain. Not yet.

LSky Jan 27th, 2014 09:32 PM

Keep an eye on the weather. Most of us are hoping for rain. It's been really warm in the mid day but cold in the mornings and it can cool down rather quickly.

Most of us are wearing jackets to coats in the evenings and early mornings. Forget sandals, bring socks.

It is our highest collective hope that you will need a raincoat. Rain dancing shoes are appreciated.

clarkgriswold Jan 27th, 2014 10:01 PM

No rain on the horizon. However they're hoping the faucets will flow freely come March, as it has done in the past after particularly warm Dec/Jan/Febs.

rbnwdln Jan 28th, 2014 07:27 AM

Not to be selfish but for once in my life please let the weather be nice on my vacation! I am only there two weeks so it can rain for months when I leave!!!!

clarkgriswold Jan 28th, 2014 11:07 AM

Two days of your visit look to be down to a chilly 66 degrees and partly cloudy. The rest look like clear sailing....Welcome to sunny California. For the next 2 weeks you are going to feel like you're 37.