Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Heading to Chicago in two weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/heading-to-chicago-in-two-weeks-391977/)

Ashley24 Jul 9th, 2008 01:46 PM

Heading to Chicago in two weeks

Our family with two girls, 13 and 10, will be going to Chicago for my daughter's dance competition. We already have tickets to see Wicked. We will be arrive Saturday early afternoon and staying at the Park Hyatt for 2 nights before heading to a suburb Monday afternoon for the competition. Wicked is on Sunday at 2:00. Any suggestions for other things to do Saturday, early Sunday, Sunday PM, and Monday morning. We have already been to Shedds, Field Museum and the Museum of Sci and Ind. Anything new we could try?
Nobody sounds excited to do the Architectural (sp?) tour...Do you think they would enjoy it?

coldkelly Jul 9th, 2008 02:33 PM

I've taken several people on the boat tour, at various times, the people being of various ages. Everyone really enjoyed it. The Art Institute is fantastic. You don't need to make a whole day of it. My daughters enjoyed Chinatown, lunch in Greektown, lunch in the Signature room at the John Hancock. Navy Pier and the Planetarium were not hits at all.

Citylghts Jul 9th, 2008 03:59 PM

Signature Room is overpriced for mediocre food. There are many other places that are better and less expensive. Dim sum in Chinatown would be a good idea.

Your daughters will enjoy the Art Institute and the architectural tour. The best are through the Chicago Architecture Foundation, www.architecture.org.

The Art Institute has several works they will recognize such as Seurat's <i>Sunday on La Grand Jatte</i> and <i>Paris Street, Rainy Day</i> by Caillebotte.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is free and easy to reach from the N Michigan Ave area via public transit. Near the zoo there's also the Notebaert Nature Museum with a free-flight butterfly gallery, check www.chias.org and the Lincoln Park Conservatory.

PamT Jul 9th, 2008 05:29 PM

American Girl Store? :)

LindainOhio Jul 9th, 2008 05:48 PM

We love riding bikes on the lakeshore trail.

exiledprincess Jul 10th, 2008 09:34 AM

Ashley24, when you say 2 weeks, you do mean the weekend of the 26th? Lots going on at that time and I hope you are prepared for a nautical weekend.

For example, the 26th is Venetian Night, with the parade of boats, fireworks and the accompanying free concert at the Frank Gehry-designed Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millennium Park.

Also on that date is the Chicago Dragon Boat Race for Literacy held on the south branch of the Chicago River near Ping Tom Memorial Park in Chinatown. Day-long festival with music, crafts and entertainment. See www.chicagochinatown.com for details.

That weekend is also the Newberry Library Book Fair and the Bughouse Square Debates in the Gold Coast neighborhood.

Cirque du Soleil is in town performing &quot;Kooza&quot; under the Grand Chapiteau pitched at the United Center. Cannot comment on the availability of tickets at this late stage but the show is wonderful, albeit pricey.

If you cannot get tickets for that Cirque production, or if they are out of your budget ballpark, then you might consider Cirque Shanghai Gold - performing at Navy Pier.

Another great option is Lookingglass Alice which is being performed at the Water Tower Water Works on N. Michigan Avenue. Especially for the ages of your girls.

I'm sure that you'll have fun, whatever you decide.

Brookside Jul 10th, 2008 02:48 PM

Take them shopping on Michigan Ave?

Try exploring the neighborhoods - there should be some great neighborhood festivals with music and artisan booths, like the Taste of Lincoln Ave. Take the brown line over to Lincoln Park - nice shops, fun little restaurants.

www.cityofchicago.org has a calendar of these festivals.

DancingBearMD Jul 11th, 2008 04:57 AM

Take them to Gino's East for pizza.

Ozarksbill Jul 11th, 2008 07:09 AM

Girls 10 and 13? Not always easy to entertain but I agree with suggestions about Art Institute, boat trip, architecture walking tour (might be a little boring), special events in town. Love Chicago...as one born there and often visiting over the years. Great to do things as family, too.
For us this included those interesting &quot;international&quot; restaurants on Clark St. etc. though such food fare now more common everywhere.

Ozarksbill

MP07950 Jul 11th, 2008 08:15 AM

If you go to the Art Institute, make sure to find the Miniatures exhibit. It's wonderful, and is a collection of rooms decorated in a variety of styles and time periods.