COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Headinf for NYC - need best pizza, best moderately priced Italian and best deli.

Headinf for NYC - need best pizza, best moderately priced Italian and best deli.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Kevin

Heading for NYC in a few weeks and would like recommendations on where to find the best pizza in town, the best moderately priced Italian restaurant, and best deli. Will be staying near Grand Central Terminal, but will be spending time in the West Village, Soho, Little Italy, and Theater district.

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Anthony

Here are my recommendations:
Best Pizza: Two Boots @ 5 Greenwich Ave Near 7th Ave South (West Village) Also location @Ave A & 5th St ( East Village)
Very good Inexpensive Italian: ArtePasta
@*1 Greenwich Ave near 7th Ave(couple doors from 2 boots)
Best Deli:
Arties Delicatessen @ Broadway & 74th (Upper West Side)

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 02:42 PM
Steven

Try Rocky's in Little Italy (Mulberry Street????) for inexpensive, good Italian.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:33 PM
David

Best pizza - John's (there's several in the city) PS: Zagat's agree's
Best Italian- Il Mulino (unfortunately it's not inexpensive)

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 08:02 PM
Caitlin

I think best pizza is Lombardi's in Soho; John's on Bleecker--the original--in Soho is much better than other John's location. Best deli, 2d Ave Deli and best inexpensive/moderate Italian Max or Frank, both in the East Village. Also good is Bar Pitti, just above W. Houston in the West Village.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 10:49 AM
marlena

I second Caitlin's recommendation on Lombardi's and John's. Artepasta in my opinion is only OK. In the reasonable priced category, I think Il Bagatto, 192 E. Second St. (bet. Aves. A & B) is absolutely amazing.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 11:03 AM
em

Pizza Joint 2 at columbus & 71 is the best; L'Ulivio in Soho is great Italian, so is Nocello in the Theatre District; Arte Pasta is so-so; 2nd ave deli is the acknowledged number one deli.

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Owen O'Neill

Having just eaten at the John's Pizzeria on 44th after trying the Bleecker Street location this summer, I must agree that Bleecker is better. 44th has the advantage of location if you're going to the theatre and it has a vastly larger capacity, thus the waiting time for a table is much shorter. The 44th location was quite noisy - next time I'll ask to sit in small section near the front door - much more intimate and quieter. I do believe that Totonno's has better pie than either John's location. I haven't been to the original Coney Island location but have eaten at their 2nd Avenue place (between 82nd and 83rd). Quite possibly the best pizza I've eaten anywhere. Can't comment on Lombardi's as I haven't eaten there.