Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Headed to New Orleans, need some assistance on hotel selection (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/headed-to-new-orleans-need-some-assistance-on-hotel-selection-597463/)

cmcfong Mar 8th, 2006 10:48 AM

Headed to New Orleans, need some assistance on hotel selection

DH and two of our women friends are headed to New Orleans to do some animal rescue work. They want a cheap clean place to sleep which will have some kind of laundry facilities (this is very dirty work). They prefer to stay in the Metairie/Harahan section or the airport. It would be great if the rooms had microwaves. I have checked betterbidding and bidding for travel websites and am considering Priceline if I cannot get a good rate. Since they are paying all their own expenses (air, car rental, food, and hotel) we want to keep the cost down low. Thanks.

BayouGal Mar 8th, 2006 11:01 AM

Most of the open local churches in the N.O. & Gulf coast area are providing sleeping space for volunteer groups. You might want to try to make arrangements through your local church who probably has connections here before paying for a hotel room.

BayouGal Mar 8th, 2006 11:10 AM

Just realized that your thread does not show up when Louisiana is searched. You might want to repost your questions and select Louisiana in the dialog box. Thanks!

cmcfong Mar 8th, 2006 05:08 PM

Thanks for the response,BayouGal

cmcfong Mar 9th, 2006 04:28 AM

Anyone have any suggestions of a hotel which could accomodate these folks? The lowest rates we have been quoted are $179 per room. All they need is a cheap, clean place. The sponsoring group has been unable to suggest a place.

ronkala Mar 9th, 2006 05:17 AM

Contact the New Orleans CVB and explain the situation to them. They should know hotel availability or can find out for you.

cmcfong Mar 9th, 2006 07:05 AM

Thanks.

BayouGal Mar 10th, 2006 04:37 PM

When will they be in New Olreans?

BayouGal Mar 10th, 2006 04:39 PM

You might want to try nola.com for more info on what's available. Also, I will try to help find something if you can provide some dates. Thanks!

starrsville Mar 10th, 2006 04:46 PM

The first that came to mind was LaQuinta so I checked the website. Look at www.lq.com. There are at least two locations that meet your criteria. Laundry room. Microwaves and small fridge in room. Good free breakfast including make-your-own waffles. I checked some dates and found a $136 rate. A better rate may be available for other dates - or if you call the hotel and explain the purpose of the trip.

cmcfong Mar 10th, 2006 04:53 PM

The group arrives on March 16 and departs March 23. We found an $84 plus tax and parking at the Best Western Landmark in the FQ. That's a good ways from where they wanted to be, but we are really trying to scrimp on housing costs. The flights from NC, the rental car, meals are going to be a pretty heavy hit.
By the way, we did call the NO convention and visitors bureau three days ago, no call back.
Thank you, Bayou Gal and Starrsville for taking time to come back to this thread and make suggestions. I appreciate it.

starrsville Mar 10th, 2006 05:30 PM

I still would find a hotel that meets their criteria and then call and talk to the hotel manager. Perhaps they would be willing to offer a better (non-published) rate given the volunteer status of the trip.

cmcfong Mar 10th, 2006 06:17 PM

We have tried calling all the majors (Marriott, Holiday Inn, Best Western, etc)and what we were told is that FEMA is paying a set amount and as long as they can fill their rooms with FEMA paid occupancy they won't go below it. I am trying Priceline, but so far no luck.
How are you doing? I remember a couple of weeks ago you posted that you had recently made a difficult decision. Had you in my thoughts.

starrsville Mar 10th, 2006 06:25 PM

How nice of you to remember - and to have me in your thoughts. I'm sad. Just very, very sad. I'm counting on the adage - time heals. But, when reading FFRR posts I feel so unjustified and know my burdens are nothing compared to others'. I was to have lunch with a cousin who lost a husband to cancer at 44 years young. Who am I to complain? Yet, still sad.

Good luck to DH and your friends. God bless them for reaching out to the dear animals in the NO area.

cmcfong Mar 10th, 2006 06:34 PM

I am thinking of you and wishing you well. I believe time heals, but it sure seems to take a lot of time, doesn't it?
Thanks for the good wishes for DH and the ladies. He is one of a kind and I am very lucky.
Have a good weekend. Walk the labs, it will help.

starrsville Mar 10th, 2006 06:44 PM

We've had lots of rain, so the labs aren't just limited to the ponds. They splash in the water-filled ditch by the lane. They splash in the "swimming hole" (more like standing hole) in front of the spring that has come back to life. I just laughed this morning when the youngest splashed right through a puddle in the middle of the lane - just like a 3 year old boy. These dogs are so happy they just about skip through their day! The neighbors' lab comes running whenever he hears me drive home - so I have 3 labs with smiling faces and wagging otter tails spreading smiles - AND Georgia red clay mud :-). All three run to greet the UPS man (and he comes often) and have the hardest time NOT climbing the steps up into the cab. He always has a handful of treats for them, so its not all their fault!

You're right. Just writing about them cheers me up. Thanks.

cmcfong Mar 11th, 2006 03:21 AM

Writing about, thinking about or just looking at my pups has the same effect on me. Glad it worked for you, too! Have a good weekend.

BayouGal Mar 11th, 2006 09:22 AM

cmcfong, I'm sorry FEMA has just about everything tied up. However, some B & B's are open, try http://207.234.143.133/main.asp If you phone, they may even be willing to beat the online price.

I am not sure where your DH & friends will be working, but probably in the 9th Ward or St. Bernard. Haven't heard about animal rescue in Metairie area. The FQ would be convenient for work in 9th Ward and St. Bernard.

Starrsville, hearing about your labs had me smiling, too.

cmcfong Mar 11th, 2006 02:59 PM

Thanks for the link, BayouGirl. I have shared it with him.
As I understand it, DH and team will pick up supplies daily somewhere in Metairie and deliver them to affected areas. inlcuding the 9th ward, where there are still substantial numbers of animals in need.
Starrsville, I don't know how they got that post on the other thread. The person who posted as Flatus for a few days was able to do something similar. Quite annoying. I wish they would take their toys and go away.

cmcfong Mar 11th, 2006 03:03 PM

OOPS. After all your good counsel, I get your name wrong, BayouGal. Sorry!