Search

hawk's cay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawk's cay

We are planning a trip in the fall to the Keys and are looking at Hawks Cay Resort. Has anyone been there and can tell me if they liked it? I'm also open to other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM

I was there a couple of years ago for a conference. It's a great property, very self-contained, with all the amenities, pool, deli-grocery store, bar/lounge, restaurants, dolphin pool (where you can take a turn at training the dolphins for a price). We had a standard room which was very nice, but the villas are even better. It's about halfway between Miami and Key West so convenient for day trips. It can be a tedious drive though if you get behind a slow-moving RV as it is a 2-lane highway (one lane each way). Our group felt it was the best location we had ever had for our meeting, kind of away from it all but close enough to civilization if we wanted a break. I would highly recommend it as a great place to kick back and relax.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM

Since Hawk's Cay is a little isolated, it's generally appreciated more by families with small children than it is by adults. If you want lots of R&R, it'd be a great place. If, however, you want tourist activites, restaurants, etc., you'd probably be happier someplace else.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 11:15 AM
GoTravel

I've not stayed at Hawk's Key so I can't tell you about actual accommodations but I've driven by it many times and picked up friends there before.

Location wise I remember it being a bit isolated. The self contained island thing was kind of neat.

I can't remember having ever heard of anyone complaining about a stay there.

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

i've stayed there twice and we've booked again for a week in February. my only real "gripe" with the Keys as a destination is the lack of great beaches...that aside, Hawk's Cay is a real nice vacation spot. it's by no means peaceful and serene (at least i've never seen it that way) as it's a big fave of families with kids of all ages. but it's got a nice spa, comfortable rooms, a variety of pools, and activities. the restaurants are nothing to get worked up about: IMO the better places are off the premises, so plan to rent a car. we fly into Miami and drive down.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:16 PM

We just returned a couple of weeks ago from a stay at Hawk's Cay. I am assuming you are going with kids, as were we, and it was a good choice for us. The resort is very family-oriented, and there are many activities to keep kids of all ages happy. Grounds are lovely and service is quick and polite. The lagoon is great, and gives you a little "beach" with a safe area for small paddle boats and floating devices. Or you can drag your beach lounger to the water's edge. That worked for me!

We stayed in a villa, and it was quite spacious, very clean and well cared for. Nice to have kitchen accomodations and a private porch. We like the central location and it is not right off the highway--a plus in our book. It really isn't what I would call "isolated" since it only takes a minute to get to the highway. It is a large complex, though, and has the area all to itself.

I agree that having a car is important as the restaurants on premise are "okay." Restaurants in Marathon are very close (5-10 minutes away)--we liked the Island Restaurant and Tiki Bar. Try Sombrero Beach in Marathon also--you can snorkel right off the beach near the rocks and the whole facility (tiki huts, bathrooms, etc)looks recently renovated.

Other word of advice, like the restaurants off site, the off-site activities might be a little more...exciting. While Hawk's Cay conveniently offers a kayak tour, for instance, if you go down the Keys to Big Pine area, you are more likely to see a variety of wildlife. The Dolphin Research Center in Marathon is a more complete facility for dolphins and is a non-profit center for, well, research. If you want a dolphin experience, I would drive 5 minutes. We thought it was truly unique. There is no comparison when you see both set-ups.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:27 PM

Are you traveling with adults only or taking kids? I can recommend a few different resorts but choices are different with and without kids. However my choices are in Islamorada.
Check out Cheeca Lodge Resort, The Islander, The Moorings(secluded paradise), Breezy Palms, Palm and Pines. Islamorada is the happening place and you can stay busy or just veg. The restaurant selection is incredible. Diving and fishing are great also. Enjoy
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:40 PM

I forgot to mention one more item about the villas at Hawk's Cay--some of them are a distance from the main lodge area and so the lagoon and so forth. We were in a group of villas near the marina, and it was maybe a three or four minute walk through the grounds to the lagoon, but some of the villas are farther away (though the farthest have their own pool). You might want to request a specific area, if it's important to you. With small children, I would want to be closer. They do have a little shuttle--it's just what works for your family.