Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hawaiin airlines no customer service rude (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaiin-airlines-no-customer-service-rude-169845/)

d8iana Jan 3rd, 2004 04:53 PM

hawaiin airlines no customer service rude

i am on the verge of killing someone at hawaiin airlines my husband booked tickets online a couple of days ago under my married name but my id hasnt been changed yet so it shows my maiden name. hawaiian will not change these tickets without a 200 dollar fee the flight is a month away!furter more upon speaking to a useless supervisor i have found out that they will not give you their last name.apparently although they reccommend booking online they provide no customer service if you do so! any advise?

shelbyl1 Jan 3rd, 2004 05:08 PM

Why don't you just change your id? You have time.

travleis Jan 3rd, 2004 05:15 PM

While the error made during the booking process was indeed quite understandable (and if you can get in touch with a senior management official he or she may well waive the change fee) from a purely technical standpoint Hawaiian is not obligated to waive the fee.

The name which was booked was incorrect.
Changing the ticket entails a fee. Simple as that.

One of the trade-offs for booking online, which can save both you and the airline money, is that trivial mistakes can cost quite a bit of money and/or time spent fixing the problem.
Clicking the wrong date or airport abbreviation letters or any number of mistakes, is an easy thing to do, and happens many times a day at each airline.

You will want to get in touch with the highest ranking management person possible. Lower level employees may have the authority to waive your fee, but you're more likely to get satisfaction from an upper level individual. Good luck.

Trisha Jan 3rd, 2004 05:18 PM

That's a shame! A similar incident happened to me a few years ago. My name on my drivers license is Patricia but, I always go by Tricia (or Trisha thus my screen name). It was Tricia on my ticket with America West. They told me that it would be a 50.00 charge I think to change it even though it's a nickname and my last name is the same. I begged them to change it without charge and I did talk to a supervisor. They ended up doing so , without charging me. My husband's name is Michael which is the name on his ID and I asked them what if "Mike" was put on the ticket , they said that nickname is okay. Anyway, I learned from this and make sure names are exactly on the reservation as on our ID's. This incident happened a few years before Sept. 11th so,that's why they may have let it go however; even then I still had to be very insistent. A 200 hundred dollar fee sounds very steep. If you can't get them to change without a fee maybe, you can at least get them to reduce it or perhaps you can get a new driver's license between now and then. I do know somewhat how you feel.

Deloris Jan 3rd, 2004 05:20 PM

Change your ID. That's what they look at when checking in at the airport for E tics. Also, communication in marriage is essential! Happy Honeymoon!!

lacontessa Jan 3rd, 2004 05:25 PM

Hi--Just got back and since were flying on my husband's frequent flier miles, had been booked over the phone with my husband's last name (I use a hyphenated last name). Although my driver's license does not match exactly (the last part of the hypenated name is my husband's last name), I had absolutely no problems checking or going through security in D.C., Atlanta, Honolulu, and Kahului in Maui. If you were planning to change your name, go ahead and do it. You can always take a copy of your marriage certificate with other picture ID.

SeattleSonic8 Jan 3rd, 2004 05:43 PM

While I sympathize regarding the airline's lack of customer service, Hawaiian isn't solely at fault here. The ticket was booked incorrectly by your husband.

Take a deep breath and try reaching someone in management by phone.

jmathers Jan 3rd, 2004 06:04 PM

How long did you take to call Hawaiian? If you realize the error within a few hours they usually cancel the reservation and let you rebook. Unfortunately it is your spouse's fault. I'm surprised they are even giving you a break. Might as well change your driver's license, you'll need to do it eventually. PRE Sept 11th my TA didn't know husband & I got married (again my fault I didn't tell her)and I was able to travel with my birth certificate in hand. That may not be the case anymore though.

MzPossum Jan 3rd, 2004 07:39 PM

If you don't have time to change your driver's license, find out if bringing a marriage certificate or some other proof that you are the same person will do. We did that for our honeymoon(ticket was married name; driver's license was married. A copy of our marriage license was all the airline required---however, this, too, was pre 9/11.)