hawaiiana hotel and lewers st. construction

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawaiiana hotel and lewers st. construction

I'm hoping someone who has recently been to the Hawaiiana hotel or Waikiki can comment on the construction on Lewers St. for the Beach Walk Project.
I will be staying at the Hawaiiana hotel late April and I'm wondering what I should expect.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Sorry to have to tell you this, but you can expect traffic, plus construction noise and dust.

The first phase of work has just begun in the block bounded by Beach Walk, Lewers Street, Kalia Road and Kalakaua Avenue. Three Ohana Hotels (Edgewater, Coral Seas and Edgewater Lanai) are empty and being demolished.

Two Ohana Hotels in the block bounded by Saratoga, Kalia, Beach Walk, and Kalakaua will be demolished (Reef Lani and Royal Islander) and replaced with a new, tall hotel.

If had a hotel room booked anywhere near this area now, I'd try to change to another hotel -- further down the beach, or on the _other_ side of Kalaukaua Avenue.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM

I was at the Hawaiiana Hotel at the end of February for 8 days. Over on Lewers St. I saw a good part of the 220 block was tarped off with scaffolding. And on Beach Walk one empty lot next to Hawaiiana looked ready for something, but no construction was going on yet.

So as of 6 weeks ago, I was not in any way effected by traffic, noise, or dust. Of course I can't say how fast the projects are moving. But there was nothing there during my visit that was disturbing in any way.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM

The work began last week -- our local TV newscasts (Honolulu) were letting everyone know which streets would be closed...and which streets should be avoided.

The artist renderings of the finished project were impressive, but getting from here to there, is expected to take more than a year and has closed all of the small restaurants and bars on Lewers and Beach Walk. Sad to see them go...
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

For those who are interested a new website details the new project and expected construction progress etc.

www.waikikibeachwalk.com
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks to the "images" search function at google.com, I finally found a map of the area -- it kinda/sorta helps visitors see what hotels/streets will be impacted by the construction:
http://www.imperialofwaikiki.com/ima...lk_project.gif
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM

thanks for a local live update, dear Auntie. I feel like i dodged a bullet with my vacation timing. boo hoo... there goes Lewers St Loft & Lanai plate lunches & Henry's Place fresh fruit bowls.

true sadness!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM

This was a shocking message for me. I have reservations at the Ohana Islander Waikiki in a couple weeks. They were made last October and nothing was said about a massive construction project! It appears I can't cancel the res. without forfeiting all my money. How devious of them to not at least alert me!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

I've all but decided to move elsewhere during my vacation in waikiki. In Toronto I can cope with city noise etc, but on vacation...not interested.
I think I'll go to the Ohana East where I'll be away from the construction.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Schildc1:

Usually reservations can be cancelled at no fee if done within 72-24 hours prior to arrival. Did you call the hotel to ask their policy? (and if they don't have your credit card #, they have no way to charge you anyway).

If the hotel won't let you cancel without penalty, you might be able to get your credit card company to intercede on your behalf.

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Darn it all!! I love that hotel (Hawaiiana)... not to mention the small local independent shops and restaurants remaining on Beach Walk that are going to be demo'd.

Anyone have ideas for similar hotels in other parts of Waikiki? I spent time investigating last trip, but couldn't find anything comparable (for price &/or atmosphere).
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

up
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Just got back yesterday from Honolulu where we stayed at the Ohana Islander Waikiki right on Lewers St. A call placed to them before the trip prepared me for a war zone in that area. What a joke! Yes, they were narrowing the street with barricades as we left on Monday and there was a tiny bit of noise that morning. But at night and for most of the weekend, it was totally quiet. We walked by the Breakers and the Hawaiiana along Saratoga and they seemed fine. The caveat there would be if one had a room at the very back of the hotel close to the construction sight. But Buzz's was doing a brisk business. Outrigger Reef was full of people and we heard nothing but voices and rolling waves at the Shorebird Restaurant. We really enjoyed our hotel for a rate of $91/night. Hope that info helps.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Schildc1 has a good point
"Just got back yesterday from Honolulu where we stayed at the Ohana Islander Waikiki right on Lewers St. A call placed to them before the trip prepared me for a war zone in that area. What a joke! Yes, they were narrowing the street with barricades as we left on Monday and there was a tiny bit of noise that morning. But at night and for most of the weekend, it was totally quiet."

After the demolition of old buildings, most construction areas are not that noisy. You may have to walk around barriers and a couple other inconveniences.

But, I would call the hotel and "threaten to cancel the reservation". Perhaps they'll give you a discount or an upgrade to get you to stay.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Thanks so much for the update! Hey, I love Buzz's steakhouse, glad to hear business is booming. Also for a good report on the Hawaiiana & Breakers being relatively undisturbed. I looked all over Waikiki on my recent trip & couldn't find another hotel that even came close to what I like about the Hawaiiana.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Are the Ohana Reff Lanai and the Ohana Islander Waikiki both being affected by this construction? Is the ASTON at the Waikiki Banyan affected by the constructin?
Thanks Tina
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM

Tina, I suggest you check at both ohanahotels.com and outriggerhotels.com for more info. Also google Outrigger Beachwalk project to see how the entire plan is evolving. I still think the Ohana Islander Waikiki isn't a bad place to stay. Just consider daytime noise.