Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaiian vs Aloha Airlines (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaiian-vs-aloha-airlines-293183/)

puddy Feb 27th, 2003 04:51 PM

Hawaiian vs Aloha Airlines

Is there any real difference in service or on-time ratings between these two airlines? For some reason, I thought I heard that Aloha is considered the better of the two but am not sure. <BR><BR>Hawaiian is a $69 each way (Aloha is $66) and I would earn a few Continental miles. But's it not that important.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

DavidDJ Feb 27th, 2003 05:18 PM

I flew both Hawaiian and Aloha between Honolulu and Kona and did not notice any difference between the two in terms of service or delays. Both seemed good to me.

Spike Feb 27th, 2003 06:08 PM

I've flown both from the mainland to Hawaii and was very satisfied with both. On time, good service.

Deborah Feb 28th, 2003 07:18 AM

I believe Aloha offers a AAA discount if you are a member. I have flown Aloha and they were fine.

Travelking Feb 28th, 2003 07:22 AM

Hawaiian does not compare to Aloha!

Sarah Feb 28th, 2003 07:34 AM

One more vote for Aloha but unless you are coming from the mainland I would choose according to your schedule and price. Both airlines are fine.

Deborah Feb 28th, 2003 07:44 AM

Sarah made me think of one thing. If you are coming from the mainland and going on Hawaiian, you will NOT get ff miles. These are only good on inter-island flights.

Deborah Feb 28th, 2003 07:45 AM

That's on Continental Airlines. Sorry I forgot to add that.

tropicalbreeze Feb 28th, 2003 07:50 AM

i have flown both. the service and general attitude of hawaiian airline was better. i did hawaiin mainland and inter island, aloha just inter island.

Duane Feb 28th, 2003 08:57 AM

I would pick the one that you can get with FF miles. I happend to get Hawaiian (I think) with 5,000 AA miles. Since I donnot us AA that much I had about 12,00o miles out there I wasn't going to use.<BR><BR>Just save about $300 on 2 round trip tickets. That's $300 for 10,000 miles, not a bad deal. I mean the fights are what, 45 minutes? Don't think either one woul dbe bad.<BR>Either way,<BR>Duane

puddy Feb 28th, 2003 02:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm only using them for interisland flights so I would only get 1500 miles or so (3 segments). Aloha is cheaper a little cheaper and they have non-stop flights from LIH to OGG where Hawaiian does not. I could use both airlines to maximize miles (I use Continental) but I don't think it's worth the trouble.<BR><BR>Thanks again for you help.

lcuy Feb 28th, 2003 02:42 PM

My husband and I fly both frequently, and choose based upon the availability of seats for inter-island flights. In past years (till about 5 years ago) Hawaiian was always late, but not any more. There is very little difference these days in service or on time record. For mainland flights..I choose based on the destination airport and price. Again, very little difference.

vivi Feb 28th, 2003 07:05 PM

I have flown interisland literally hundreds of times, usually at least once a week.<BR><BR>Hawaiian's planes are newer, they have 2-3 seating. They also have a reputaion for runnning behind schedule. <BR><BR>We almost always fly Aloha because, as frequent flyers, we never have to wait in line and we get upgraded to first class. The planes have 3-3 seating and the fleet is aging. We especially like the daily nonstop to/from LIH-OGG, big time saver when traveling on business.