Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian-style coffee shop for Breakfast in Times Square Area (or elsewhere) in Manhattan?

Hawaiian-style coffee shop for Breakfast in Times Square Area (or elsewhere) in Manhattan?

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Diana

I'm from Los Angeles and we have coffee shops run by Hawaiians that feature regular American breakfast food, but also rice, fried rice, char su, and other Hawaiian/Asian ingredients for breakfast. Does anyone know of such a coffee shop in the Times Square area where we'll be staying for two weeks in June, or anyplace else in Manhattan? Thanks.

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Frank

Topping for Diana.

Old May 18th, 2002, 07:33 PM
patty

Hi Diana. I grew up in LA and I think I know what you're asking for, but I can't think of anyplace like that in Manhattan.

In the midtown area, the New York Hilton on 6th Avenue & 53rd St offers, at their NY Marketplace restaurant, an American breakfast buffet and a Japanese breakfast buffet.

Then on the other side of the dining spectrum you can go to the Smiler's (deli) on Seventh Ave & 48th St where I know you can get egg sandwiches, etc. for breakfast. The Asian part comes in because for lunch they have steam tables with fried rice, I'm not sure about char siu and other items. I just don't know when they set up for their lunch and can't remember if there's seating - I always did take out.

There's also going to Chinatown for breakfast. You can walk around Mott Street, Bayard, Bowery, Chatham Square, etc. and see what they offer. Good luck and have fun here in NYC.

I wish I could find a place here where they sell or serve King's Hawaiian bread which I love love love. The closest I get is either challah bread or brioche. Oh and where in LA can I find the Hawaiian coffee shops? We go to LA once a year and it might be interesting for my daughter.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:39 AM
hope

Hello! I live in Los Angeles and would like to know where these Hawaiian coffee shops are.
Please let me know. Thanks!

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Rick

Sounds like a business opportunity I would support! Thing is Diana here on the east coast we don't have your affinity or association with things Hawaiian. People here go to Florida and Europe probably the way you (numbers of Californians) go to Hawaii. Come here explore Tapas from Spain, Spaghetti that is served the way it is meant to be eaten, a REAL PIZZA. Steak Au Poive at Balthazars and feel like you are in France. Breakfast, don't tell me you don't know to find yourself a bagel with Scottish lox and cream cheese??? Just some pointers I never eat Italian in Hawaii and only two weeks ago found a bento based broth in NYC, (Japanese restaurant). Green Papaya salad can only be found seasonally in most Vietnamese restaurants here. Our Asian can't really compete with Hawaii's and I am guessing the West Coasts.

We do have a Hawaiian Cultural Foundation that does a Luau in Central park annually in June.

When I want a Hawaii fix I do what I am doing at this moment coming on this board while listening to Iz Kamakawiwoole. I Go to Roy's in the Marriott near ground zero. We use to have a Maui Taco down in the west village but it was just fast food Mexican.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
patty

Rick - really, a luau that's open to the public in Central Park? Cool. Do you know when this summer's luau is?

What is a bento based broth? "Bento" is a portable lunch, I believe, not a food so what kind of broth were you looking for and where did you find it? At Saigon Grill on the upper west side, I think they have green papaya salad often on their menu.

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Diana

Thanks for everyone's reply. The two places that I go to in West LA are both very small: Rutts Inn, 12114 Washington Blvd, Culver City (310) 398-6326 (open Sundays till 3); Tokyo 7-7 Coffee Shop, 3839-B Main St. Culver City (kind of in the alley) (310) 204-5728 (not open Sunday).

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Diana

Writing the above jogged my memory: Rancho Park Gardens Restaurant (part of a municipal golf course) 10460 W. Pico
(310) 839-7750 --Japanese more than Hawaiian, and HOT (House of Teriyaki Too) 1715 Pacific Ave, Venice (310) 396-9938 (right in the heart of the madness that is Venice Beach.)

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Rick

Patty I live write near Saigon Grill on the East side but before I moved here I would ask for Green Papaya Salad in many Vietnamese Restaurants we only serve it seasonally is what they all told me. A sure find Saigon grill. But you know the green papaya salad I have had in Hawaii never was fused with kalbi beef. I always had shrimp. Still Saigon Grill's is good and kalbi beef is always fun and memorable of Hawaii.

I think I might be spelling the broth name wrong it was only spoken to me I have only once seen it written about in a gourmet magazine. It sounds more like benito broth. It is a fish based meso broth served with udon or buckwheat noodles. Found it all over Hawaii in the LA airport of all places. Everyone always knows what I am talking about in Japanese restaurants but they only have chicken based broths in the noodle soups. In Japan it is a country style broth so it is why I am guessing it does not appear on many noodles menus in Manhattan. Why I see it at Alamoana Mall but not moderately priced establishments in Manhattan. Tastes like there is a smoked flavoring in there also. I searched for it a long time until I found it on the second floor of a Japanese restaurant on 55th st. between 5th and 6th. Think it is called Osigama will confirm next lunch spent there.

Hawaii Cultural Foundation puts on the luau. I am guessing they do this to expand membership and embrace NYC Hawaiians in exile . I have never been. Probably more like a potluck or BBQ with entertainment. Think it is the first Sunday in June. Seen pictures I did not go to HCF events for the longest time because I thought it was something for native Hawaiians. But at the Christmas party I saw Anglo men doing hula. I thought Oh my god some people who are as nutty about Hawaii as I am. I am not alone in this insanity. Nothing like watching some hula (when the pros came on) and eating Kailua pork and lomi salmon in December on the east coast.

Patty on the absolute coldest day of winter HFC put on a slack key evening at Hunter College. They gave members a fresh flower lei flown in from Hawaii. Keola Beamer played with some others and of course hula and stories from Hawaii.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Rick

Onigashima 43-45 Second Fl. between 5th and 6th is the Japanese restaurant with Benito broth

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:19 PM
lcuy

I think the broth you all are talking about is Katsuo Dashi-no moto, made from Bonito. Bonito is a type of fish, dried and then flaked for use in broth. My mother in law calls it just dashi or fish broth.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Rick

I called it fish broth but the Japanese woman in restaurant above called it bonito broth said it was made from bonito fish flakes which I know because I have purchased and tried to make before visit. They do add other stuff though fish flakes does not give it the flavor restaurants do.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:27 PM
xxx

Hey Lucy does your mother in law make this soup if so hows about sharing a recipe?

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:45 PM
lcuy

I make the soup too. I use Wel-Pac brand Katsuo Dashi-no -moto powdered soup stock. Comes in little foil packets in a little box.
fot the record though, here is my mom in law's scratch recipe for fish stock:
5 cups water
1 piece Dashi konbu (dried kelp)
1 TBS shaved Katsuo bushi(dry bonito)
lightly moisten the kelp without removing the white flavoring powder. cut in one ince stips. Put into the water and bring to a boil, then take out immediately. Reduce heat and add bonito. remove from heat right before it boils. Let bonito settle to bottom, then strain out.
To make miso:
3 cups of stock
2 oz of white miso paste
small squares of tofu
4 or more 1 inch pieces of wakame (seaweed)soaked in water to soften.
bring stock to boil, slowly add miso paste and still till disoved. Add tofu and seaweed. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Itadakimasu!

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:19 PM
lcuy

OOPs! The above should say take the dashi Konbu (kelp) out of the water right as it reaches a boil, then add the bonito and bring to a boil again. If the kelp stays in too long it tastes too strong.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Rick

Thanks Lcuy Everyone else if you can't find this broth near you follow Lcuy's recipe YOU WON'T BE SORRY!!!

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:23 PM
patty

Thanks Diana for the LA places and Rick for Onigashima. I've never heard of it, but now it's in my book and the next time I'm in midtown for lunch...

And thanks for the recipe Icuy. I use Ajinomoto's Hondashi instant dashi for my sukiyaki, shabu shabu, soups, etc. but sometimes I stick some konbu in there for more taste. Oh and a good simple summer dish using the bonito flakes is ice cold, good quality tofu cut into squares with soy sauce drizzled on top and the shaved bonito sprinkled on. And maybe some scallions...

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Natasha

HOPE: I just came across this thread and wanted to answer your question about Hawaiian coffee shops. I live in LA as well and can recommend some places. Outside of Hawaii, The city of Gardena in the South Bay is the Hawaiian restaurant capital of the world! Here you'll find an assortment of small, hole in the wall Hawaiian restaurants open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A few I would recommend are 1) Bob's Okazu-Ya on Vermont between Artesia and Redondo Beach Blvd; 2) The Local Place on Western between 182nd & 190th Streets; and 3) Bruddah's on Gardena Blvd. They all serve great local food. Enjoy!!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Diana

I started this thread in May for our NYC trip--but it was great to see some recommendations in the South Bay of Los Angeles. Thanks.