Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaiian Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaiian-honeymoon-588828/)

mkleibo Feb 6th, 2006 06:03 PM

Hawaiian Honeymoon

My fiance and I are planning a 12 day honeymoon to Hawaii. This would be our 1st time visiting the islands and are confused as to what Islands we should visit. We both enjoy the beach, but also enjoy snorkeling, hiking and sight seeing. We have been told by some that we should visit Kauai for 5-6 days then move onto Maui for the rest of our stay. Most people we have spoken to agree that we should keep our trip down to only 2 islands. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

trippinkpj Feb 6th, 2006 06:16 PM

I would do equal time on both Kauai and Maui. I wouldn't recommend another island, as I think that would be too much hopping for a 12 day visit. For your interests, I think those two islands are great.

sandyca Feb 6th, 2006 07:16 PM

Congratulations, I have been to kauai 3 times, maui at least 20 times and the big island once. I do think you should only see two islands. Maui for sure and I liked the big island better than kauai. The best snorkeling I have had in Hawaii is on the big island near the pu'uhonua o honaunau (place of refuge) snorkel to the left of the lava entry out about 50 yards huge coral heads turtles & eels dont go where everyone else is near lava it is ruined there. I would stay on the kohala coast, the four seasons is by far the best hotel, but the beach is not as nice as the beach at the mauna kea hotel. All beaches in Hawaii are public so you can go to any beach you like. Get "the big island revealed and maui revealed" books the suggestions will make your honeymoon special The advice in there is excellent. Stay 4 nights big island and the rest on maui. You could spend half the time in Wailea area and the other half in another area like Napili.

bertaron Feb 6th, 2006 07:26 PM

We honeymooned for 12 days on 3 islands 6 years ago and in all honesty it felt like I was in the airport for a long time going to and from. You will do fine with 2 islands in 12 days. There are plenty of activities and restaurants on both islands to keep you busy.

kanunu Feb 7th, 2006 09:10 AM

Several years ago, my wife and I did 3 islands, 5 nights each, and that was the last time. Too much time checking in/checking out of hotels, airports, car rentals, and packing/unpacking. 2 islands is perfect for 2 weeks, we find. Last March/April we did both Maui and Kauai, split the time down the middle and we loved that "rotation", will do it again. (We did go to Molokai for a day, and on a previous trip, went to Lanai for the day, but that doesn't really count). Both islands are small enough that you can stay in one place and drive anywhere for activities, on the days when you aren't lounging around the hotel/condo. We like the Wailea area on Maui (and Kapalua if its not raining), and while these are "quieter" areas than Kaanapali, they both have great snorkeling, golf, and other activities. On Kauai, take your pick, the lush north shore, or drier Poipu area. It all depends on how much a little rain might bother you. Its pretty hard to go wrong, actually, so have a great time....

dusty56438 Feb 7th, 2006 10:50 AM

You ought to think about Oahu and one other island.

Lots of info & websites:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34696831

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

www.bigisland.org

www.kauaidiscovery.com

www.kauai-hawaii.com

Candy210 Feb 7th, 2006 03:15 PM

Two islands(Maui & Kauai) are a good choice.(We did 3 islands for our 25th Anniversary last July in 14 days & it was a bit much(packing/unpacking).Maui has plenty to offer. We stayed there 7 days & it was just enough time to explore & relax. We enjoyed the sights-Haleakala, the shoreline, a variety of beaches,took a great tour of the Hana Highway with Valley Isle excursions, snorkeled-Black Rock & Honolua Bay & other locations,hiked & had alot of fun. We went to Kauai for 4 days. It is a laid back beautiful island. We loved the Princeville Hotel-for pampering,a helicopter ride of the Napali coast, hiking to Queens Bath, visiting a variety of beaches, and exploring Hanalei & the north coast.I used the 2 books Maui Revealed & Kauai Revealed to help with the planning. Divide your time up to see what you want to do. Six days on each island will be great. Enjoy and Congratulations!

valerie99 Feb 7th, 2006 04:48 PM

We used to do a week in Oahu and a week in Maui, that is, until we discovered Kauai.

I would recommend splitting between Kauai and Maui. They are both quite different, and once you've seen both, you can make plans as to where you'll stay next time.

We spent 3 weeks in Kauai last year and it wasn't enough.

bhuty Feb 7th, 2006 05:05 PM

valerie makes a strong argument but I'd still check out oahu. Waikiki is a bit overrated but the rest of the island has a lot to offer to those who like what you like.

When are you going?

Ultimately just decide cos you're going to get confused if you don't. pick two islands. how big of a mistake can you make really???

valerie99 Feb 7th, 2006 05:29 PM

you are absolutely correct bhuty. You can't possibly go wrong whichever combination you pick.

The first trip anywhere is always the best. I remember my first Caribbean cruise--it was awesome. The second one wasn't quite as good.

Our first trip to Oahu and Maui was fantastic (funny I can remember that far back :0)

jamaltay Feb 7th, 2006 06:55 PM

Personally I like the "1 trip, 1 island" rule. We are going to Kauai in May for 2 weeks and I wouldn't even consider another island on this trip. We have to much to do to spend it checking in/out of hotels/airports.
Next trip, maybe a different island, but only 1 island per trip.
8-)

Bikom Feb 7th, 2006 09:55 PM

I second everything sandyca said. I think if you dont get into the four seasons on the big island, the Hapuna Prince would make a great honeymoon spot, especially an ocean front room. Great beach, (right next to the mauna kea beach sandy mentions) great relaxing pool, beautiful place. And both the Wailea area and the Napili area on Maui are great. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

CMarion Feb 9th, 2006 02:41 PM

I don't know about where to stay, but I strongly recommend buying an Entertainment Book for Hawaii before you go. You will save major money on good restaurants and food.