Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii with girlfriends: what island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-with-girlfriends-what-island-385667/)

babycarrot Jun 26th, 2008 02:24 PM

Hawaii with girlfriends: what island?

Planning a trip with two other girlfriends, we are all aged 30. Mostly we would like to relax but would also like to enjoy evenings out (but not a crazy clubgoing scene). What island is the best for us to visit? Also any hotel suggestions that won't be filled with families and children? Thanks!

Marginal Jun 26th, 2008 02:32 PM

Oahu or Maui.

Marginal Jun 26th, 2008 02:34 PM

Hard to find a hotel that won't have families and children. Unless it is really really expensive, or secluded, like the Hotel Hana Maui.

dmlove Jun 26th, 2008 03:32 PM

But there will be <i>fewer</i> families with children if you avoid school holidays. Go at the end of September and there won't be many kids there (only the ones whose parents don't mind taking them out of school for a vacation).

suze Jun 26th, 2008 04:00 PM

I'd also pick Oahu (Waikiki) or Maui (Lahaina) for what you describe.

cmcfong Jun 26th, 2008 04:52 PM

I suggest you consider renting a condo at Puamana on Maui. Beautiful grounds to enjoy in the mornings and evenings...and you can walk into Lahaina for dinner and drinks. Have a wonderful trip!

volcanogirl Jun 26th, 2008 05:26 PM

I would go to Maui.

dusty56438 Jun 27th, 2008 02:45 PM

More to see &amp; do on Oahu than any other island.

Maui would be my second choice.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34812564

beth_fitz Jun 27th, 2008 02:48 PM

If I were 30 again and going to Hawaii with my girlfriends I'd either go to Oahu (Waikiki) or Maui (Lahaina) as there is quite a bit to do in those areas.

Since I am not 30 and not into the crazy touristy thing...I would go to Kauai to get away and enjoy what the island has to offer.

No matter where you choose to go, you will have a great time in paradise!

chcl Jun 27th, 2008 04:46 PM

Another vote for Maui, especially the Lahaina area. The night life may not be as exciting as in Waikiki/Honolulu but there are certainly a lot of things to do.

If you want to avoid families w/ children avoid summers and the school breaks. We were there in May, weather was great and not too crowded (yet).

suze Jun 28th, 2008 09:56 AM

I've never ended up anywhere with lots of families &amp; kids on 4 trips to Hawaii (3 Oahu, 1 Maui). I think you can control that somewhat by the type of hotel/resort you choose.

MelissaHI Jun 28th, 2008 10:38 AM

Oahu of course! There is good nightlife and lots to see &amp; do. On the first Friday of every month, Chinatown opens (go early, like 5 p.m.) its art galleries and the streets are closed to vehicular traffic. People hop from gallery to gallery and restaurant to restaurant. It's a low-brow but see-and-be-seen kind of thing, very fun (but not clubby unless you go to Bar 35 or Next Door).

Check out the calendar at www.alohatower.com to see who's playing at the restaurants. If you go when there is a special event going on, even better; locals are big on the special events.

What's your budget for the hotel? My first thought was maybe the Hawaii Prince hotel in Waikiki. It's on the outer edge of Waikiki, so not as touristy, and very convenient to shopping, dining, and transportation.

Sarah Jun 28th, 2008 11:57 AM

I suspect anything high end
like the four seasons or very low end, backpackers inn north shore will provide
some options. Its that affordable middle like the Hilton Hawaiian village where you will be see them in hoards. Stay out of the baby pool, LOL.

Come when school break is over, same hotel is frequently half empty.

Rent a condo at the Ilikai.
I feel like its never swarming with people. I have rented in summer most times and have never been in the pools with more than one other family, tops. I put people there all the time, meaning my friends and family. Right on the edge of Waikiki so you can get out quickly.

jewelhawg Jun 28th, 2008 05:16 PM

My 3 best girlfriends and I just took a girl's trip to Maui. We spent the first 5 nights at the Westin Ka'anapali and the last 4 nights in a condo in the Wailea area.

Both were great, but we really enjoyed the Ka'anapali area. By staying at the Westin, we were able to walk up and down the beach to various wonderful restaurants/bars and shops. It's also a short, convenient drive (10 minutes) to Lahaina which has great shops and restaurants, too.

We had a wonderful trip! You will, too!

traveljunkie28 Jun 28th, 2008 07:30 PM

I went to Oahu with my sister and sister in law. We enjoyed all the shopping. But we're shop- a -holics. :-)

Have you thought about renting a house? Then you wouldn't have to worry about families and kids.

Have fun!!