Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawa'ii with Gate 1 - 13 days, worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-with-gate-1-13-days-worth-it-925408/)

daria26 Feb 26th, 2012 05:18 AM

Hawa'ii with Gate 1 - 13 days, worth it?

Hello, fellow travelers!
My fiancee and I are going back and forth between a road trip on Pacific coast highway and a hawa'ii Island hopper trip. We live in NYC, and I just found Gate 1 trip for Big Island, Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. All that in 13 days. It seems rushed. Don't get me wrong, I like exploring, but do you think that to see those four islands in 13 days is a bit rushed?
We like scenery, hiking, photography, and National Parks, and we are not interested in big cities, shopping or eating at fancy restaurants. I also heard that Big Island and Kauai offer all that.
Also, does it make sence to book with a tour company or is it cheaper to book on our own? Thank you!

sylvia3 Feb 26th, 2012 06:24 AM

I'd pick 1 (or 2) island; 4 in that amount of time (esp. time wasted waiting around airports, packing/unpacking, etc.) is way too much. Also, you can get lots of lodging deals (vrbo, condo management companies, hotels.com and other sites: an example of a great deal in a very good location would be http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...fairway-villas) if you do a tiny bit of research.
Big Island has everything you want (especially if you get a car \; small sedan from carrentals.com?), beaches, hiking, scenery, and Volcano National Park. I often price flights from CA (live in CO) separately, but from NYC you might have more options.

Placename Feb 26th, 2012 07:42 AM

The trip proposed is a terrible idea. Four islands in 13 days is going to mean far too much time packing/in airports/unpacking.

As sylvia3 mentions, the general guideline is one week per island. All are different, so you would have to do some research to decide what it is you want to see. The only big city is Honolulu on Oahu, and even that has lots to offer in terms of museums and sights of interest.

There is a book, Hawaii for Dummies, that will help you sort out what you would like to do.

Any Hawaiian trip can be booked on your own. It all depends on your needs, your budget, and the time of year. Peak times are more expensive. You might look at Costco, www.kayak.com, or Expedia.com to get an idea of what other packages look like. If I was chosing a tour, I would only book with a big-name established tour, not an unknown like the one you mention.

Also, start looking at the information and forums on TripAdvisor. They have a very active Hawaii board.

britomart Feb 26th, 2012 09:44 AM

I think Hawaii can be cheaper if you do it on your own. VRBO.com has tons of condos, we've never paid more than $120 a night for an oceanfront condo with a great view. The difficulty is often narrowing it down to 1 choice!

I don't think that 4 islands in 13 days is HORRIBLE, it depends on what you want to accomplish. If this is going to be your only trip to Hawaii in your lifetime, it might be worth it to have a more rushed itinerary and see everything. The airports on each island are small and it's relatively easy to get in, catch an interisland flight, and get to the next place. The flights are also very short. However, if you want to have a more relaxed vacation, I would choose 2-3 islands. I've been to all 4 and my favorite is Maui, followed by Kauai and the Big Island. I didn't care for Oahu, but we were in Waikiki and like you, I don't care for big cities. Waikiki beach was crowded and touristy.

We liked the Big Island, but we didn't fall in love with it like we did Kauai and Maui. But if you really want to see an active volcano, you need to include the B.I.

I would spend the time on Maui and Kauai. With 13 days, you would be able to see everything and have a more leisurely time of it. Also, the Maui Revealed and Kauai Revealed are the best handbooks, just make sure you get one that is up to date. Have fun!

Placename Feb 26th, 2012 09:51 AM

If this is your honeymoon, make it special by not forcing yourself to do much more than enjoying being newlyweds.

There will be years ahead to pack your trips with excursions and lots of flights.

DebitNM Feb 26th, 2012 10:19 AM

2 islands would be my suggestion.

What about a cruise of the Hawaiian islands? That would be less hectic and you could still get in many islands.

Check Alaska Air, they have some really good airfares and sales.

carolyn Feb 26th, 2012 10:41 AM

We once had to cancel a big trip to Israel because my husband had to have heart surgery. Following that, we chose a Your Man Tour of the four islands in Hawaii so that he didn't have to deal with carrying luggage or do anything himself. We had a really good time and a good overview of each island and have been back several times. Oahu is my favorite island, and the Big Island is my least favorite; but I agree that Volcanoes National Park is something to see.

Placename Feb 26th, 2012 10:43 AM

The cruise doesn't get very good reviews. Especially if they are interested in scenery, nature, photography, and National Parks.

jamie99 Feb 26th, 2012 11:47 AM

You can do this yourself, and I agree with the others about two islands, either Big Island and Kauai or Maui and Big Island.

From JFK, Hawaiian is starting or has just started service on a nice widebody, likewise Continental out of Newark.

If you decide to go this route, book your car rentals almost as soon as you book your airfare as the rental agencies cut down on the number of cars available when the economy started to tank a few years back. Take a look at this site, I have used them, they only book with the major agencies, not some no-name brand: discounthawaiicarrentals.com.

You need rental cars on all the islands except maybe Oahu as the public transport is really poor and does not go to a lot of the places you would want to visit as a tourist.

daria26 Feb 26th, 2012 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone! I was thinking that it is better to just plan and do it on our own. Any special places to stay for two honeymooners that love nature? Thanks!

kikkoman Feb 27th, 2012 03:58 PM

Unless you want to spend a lot of time on a bus with retirees, widows and elderly women travelling together on your honeymoon, please do not do a tour of this nature.

I'm in the one island or two island boat. I am also with a private rental rather then expensive resort boat as it offers romance, seclusion, kitchen and laundry and space to run around nekid.

Tomsd Feb 27th, 2012 06:51 PM

Getting from one island to another in Hawaii if fairly simple - as the flights are short and on Oahu - you have the smaller - Inter-Island terminal vis a vis the main International terminal where most flights arrive from abroad.

Also - when you arrive at an outer island - it's pretty easy to get your luggage and the rental car - so don't think you are wasting that much time.

I would suggest a couple of days on Oahu - getting to Hannamua Bay for snorkeling and maybe driving around the island - or part of it - and easing into "island style" - and then spending say 5 days on another island - and maybe kicking back the last week at our favorite - Kauai.

There are many fun things to do on each island - so you really have to decide what you want to do - reading/googling up on things ahead of time and also picking up the local tourist mags when you arrive for more ideas.

Have a blast. We spent two weeks there (or 17 days - can't remember) - on our Honeymoon, going from Oahu to Molokai for a couple of days - and then a week on Big Island (2 days up at Volcano House and 5 days at a condo on Ali Drive south of Kona town) and then a week or so at the Hanalei Colony Resort - 4 miles or so - over about 5 covered bridges beyond Hanalei town. :)

kikkoman Feb 27th, 2012 06:58 PM

Tomsd, your passion for the islands is clear. However, it is unclear on when you have recently been to the islands. On other boards I have always been cautious about offering outdated advice without full disclosure.

sylvia3 Feb 28th, 2012 05:47 AM

I'd recommend Maui (Haleakala, Road to Hana, Iao Needle, all kinds of beaches to visit, snorkeling (from the beach, too many options to list; ask Snorkel Bob when you get your rentals (they now have inter-island drop off!), or a boat excursion to Molokini and other sites. Maybe even a dinner cruise (ho hum). You could easily occupy 2 weeks there, busy or relaxed.

If you really want to do two islands, my favorite is the Big Island for a wide range of activities (BTW, the lodge at VNP is still closed for renovations).
If you just want to relax in paradise, Kaui!
If you want to add big city action and tourist stuff, Oahu.

Tomsd Feb 28th, 2012 06:52 AM

So Kikkoman: Just what is it that is so out of date in your opinion?

I have been to the Islands about 25 times - starting in 1977 - (my wife started going over to Maui as a teenager in the 50's) and have been to 4 islands as recently as a couple of years ago - not to mention having been to all six habitated isles, and we still own a timeshare on the north shore of Kauai.

Plus I have a number of friends who live there, one who runs a resort on Big Island - and am always trying to stay up with what is happening there.

I have also traveled quite a bit to Central America, all around the good ole USA/Western Canada and to Europe a number of times..

And btw? What about you? How much have you traveled - and do you by chance live in Hawaii?

chepar Feb 28th, 2012 08:20 AM

I don't see what advice that Tomsd posted that is so outdated - it was all very general information and none of it was inaccurate.

And I do live in Hawaii.

Tomsd Feb 28th, 2012 12:27 PM

Salute chepar. :)

jamie99 Feb 28th, 2012 12:37 PM

OP, if you provide budget per night and time of year you would be traveling, folks could make more specific recommendations. Also do you need a hotel, or is condo also OK (can save money by making breakfasts even if it is just fruit and toast and coffee which is not really cooking in my book). This is a help if you plan on a lot of pricey excursions. Also many condos have washer dryers if you are going for two weeks, another big help.