Hawaii; Weather in May; Island Specific

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Joseph

Hawaii; Weather in May; Island Specific

I am going to Hawaii the first two weeks of May, 2003. Based on your experience or knowledge, is there particular islands that are better "weatherwise". That is, will the weather vary drastically from one island to the next? Please note, I understand that you do not have a crystal ball. Thank you for your serious responses. Regards, J

Nov 7th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Sarah

go online they are ending an El Nino winter on Kauai and were expecting a dry winter. Does that impact a dry spring? check with a weather website.

May is usually the end of the wet season on Kauai.

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Sue

We were in Maui for most of May a few years ago and I found it very humid. We were in Kihei/Wailea and of all my 6 trips to Hawaii this was indeed the most humid. It was probably that year though, and you know you cannot usually go wrong with the hawaiin weather, it is fairly consistant.

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Emily

We have been to HI twice in May, Maui for honeymoon & Maui, Hawaii & Kauai for anniversary. Of the total 18 days spent the 2 trips, I don't remember any rain during the day. Maybe a little sprinkle in the morning a few times.

Have a great vacation!

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:12 PM
patty

It rained hard every single day I was there a couple of years ago.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:48 AM
SG

Maui and Kauai would probably have more rain. That is hurricane season.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:59 AM
bluefan

Joseph,

Check out what I believe is the most invaluable website for weather on the islands: hawaiiweathertoday.com.

You will find plenty of links for individual islands as well as for trip planning. I think Glenn James does a terrific job on Maui Weather Today!

IMO, it's not the island that matters since there's little difference overall in terms of weather, but it's the area (N,S,W,E) of a particular island that matters most when it comes to weather.

For instance, the northern portions of Maui and Kaui will have far more rainfall than the southern portions due to the topography...but this also makes the northern portions of those islands beautifully lush.

Anyways, virtually all of the islands including the northern regions should be fantastic in May, an ideal month to visit with fewer crowds!

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Joseph

Thank you

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Hi

May - Summer starts early on Maui, and May is getting quite warm. The tradewinds are blowing most of the time on the windward sides, but carry less clouds and showers then in April. Winter storms are completely absent....leeward sides are summer-like. Tradewinds blow on the average 86% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 76 degrees F. (25.6C)
May averages for different locations on Maui

Lahaina 85-67 F. (28.9C-18.3C) 1.05" of precipitation

Hana 80-68 F. (26.7C-19.4C) 8.95" of precipitation

Kahului 84-67 F. (27.8C-18.9C) .62" of precipitation
Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 58%

Nov 8th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Nova

Will the weather vary drastically from one island to the next? The answer is No !!