Hawaii vs. Caribb. water, weather, villas?

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii vs. Caribb. water, weather, villas?

Our honeymoon is in early Oct. I realize that October is hurricane season in the Caribbean which is why I am contemplating Hawaii. My problem, in some of the photos of Hawaii, the water does not look as nice as the Caribbean. How do they compare? I am new scuba diver, I have dove in Jamaica and Mexico. Also, I am looking for a villa with privite pool/jacuzzi and this is hard to find in Hawaii (although condo's seem to be popular) And the scuba is more expensive in Hawaii it seems. So my question, to those of you that have been to both Hawaii and parts of the Caribbean, which do you recommend. Do I take my chances with hurricane season in the Caribbean just for the clearer water? Oh, when we stayed in Jamaica, we felt very pressured by the locals, this is something we want to avoid enormously. We want to be able to rent a car and tour around on our own while feeling safe. Which island in the Caribbean is like this, if any? Sorry so long, Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:29 PM

I absolutely love Hawaii! I have been to Bahamas and Grand Cayman also. But, I can't wait to go back to Hawaii. I don't dive, but I do snorkel and there were lots of places to snorkel from the shore in Maui and Kauai, we had a great time doing our own thing. We went on 2 snorkel cruises, and then rented our own gear and drove around. I think the water is clearer in carribean, but Hawaii is perfectly fine, and waterfalls and the locals make it that much more wonderful. Happy planning! Congratulations, and have a great honeymoon!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Congratulations on your diving certification! We just got certified a couple years ago. We have been diving in quite a few places (including Hawaii) - and interestingly enough, the diving is better in the Caribbean. I understand your fear of hurricanes (what a bummer that would be....), but one of the best diving locations in the world is the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). We were actually certified in Curacao and went snorkeling in Bonaire. Those islands are not in the hurricane belt. The snorkeling in Hawaii is pretty good - but for diving, I would stick with the Caribbean (more fish). I'm not familiar with the diving on Aruba - but Curacao was very cool. Plus, I don't know where you live, but if you're East Coast and taking less than 2 weeks - the Caribbean is a much easier trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:14 AM
JMM

I have been to both the caribbean and Hawaii and I agree with Debi. If you want diving to be an important part of your vacation, the caribbean is much better (water clarity and a MUCH more forgiving ocean). Hawaii is exceptionally lovely but the water clarity does not compare and you must exercise extreme caution when dealing with the ocean (rip currents and BIG waves are common). I also agree with Debi that in October the ABC islands are probably your best bet. At other times of the year for diving and snorkeling I would HIGHLY recommend the Turks and Caicos - incredible water clarity and abundance of marine life. You still might want to consider the T&C in October(they have not had a major hurricane hit in YEARS) but the risk is there. There are lots of private villas for rent on Provo (in T&C). I dont know about the ABC islands. T&C are also very safe and have yet to see a beach vendor.
I have gone on a bit but I have tried to answer all your questions.
Overall - if diving is important or you have limited time - caribbean BUT if you have at least 2 weeks and diving is not a major consideration - Hawaii is truly lovely.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Have you considered Aruba? It is out of the hurricane belt. The island is one of our favorites and has beautiful beaches and friendly people.