Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii visitors - are we making a mistake by not visiting Pearl Harbor on our trip to Hawaii?

Search

Hawaii visitors - are we making a mistake by not visiting Pearl Harbor on our trip to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Ashleigh

We recently booked our honeymoon to Hawaii - since we're flying from NYC, we decided to stop in San Fran for 2 nights, then visit Oahu for another 2 (mainly to see Pearl Harbor), then Kauai for 3 and Maui for 5.
I've since had second thoughts, and wondered if this is too much traveling for our honeymoon. We're not looking for action-packed adventure, the only reason for really staying on Oahu would be for Pearl Harbor. I wonder if I would feel guilty not going. Should we make this a must-see, or is this way too much in 12 days?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Celeste

I lived on Oahu for three years, and probably brought 50 people to the Arizona Memorial during that time, but the first thing I do now when I go to Hawaii is to visit the Memorial. It's one of the best memorials you'll ever see - of anything - anywhere.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Joanne

The Arizona Memorial is a very special place. Since you'll have to go in and out of Hawaii via Oahu anyway, why not spend a night or two there.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:48 PM
jtripwils

We had same dilemma 3 years ago and we ended up seeing Pearl Harbor, and loved it! However, we ended up just staying on Oahu just for the morning we visited PH. Its a several hour visit to the site, but we wanted to spend the rest of time on other islands. I personally don't think you need 2 nights on Oahu -stay a 4th night on Kauai !

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Deb

I'll have to disagree with Celeste. Maybe I'm too young (27) to appreciate the significance of the Memorial, but I would suggest that you cancel your two days on Oahu and spend more time on Kauai.

You said you're on your honeymoon and I'm assuming you'll be looking to relax, sit on the beach, and enjoy the Hawaiian paradise. Although you can do that on Oahu, it is very crowded and busy.

Just my advice based only on a one week trip to Oahu earlier this month. My next trip to the Islands will definitely be to Kauai. I wouldn't go back to Oahu unless someone paid me.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:02 PM
umm

I disagree with all so far. I would cancel the stopover in San Fran for the two nights, see Pearl Harbor, and add a night to both Maui and Kauai. We travel from New England, and while the trip is long, it is bearable. Plus - when you are going to be on your honeymoon, you just want to get to your final destination. Too much unpacking for my liking. . . just a thought. I have been to HI several times, and found Pearl Harbor well worth the trip. I am 26, and found the memorial very moving - even when I was younger. Do it, you never know if you will be back in Hawaii, so don't miss you chance.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:56 PM
janis

I live in No. calif and LOVE SF - But I have to agree with umm. Drop the San Francisco stop over and go straight thru to Hawaii.

Spend two nights on Oahu, but on the way home, not on the way over. First get to Kauai and spend 4 relaxing or active days, then on to Maui for 5 days, and finish up with 2 nights on Oahu for nightlife, Pearl Harbor - DO NOT MISS IT, maybe climb Diamond Head if you are fit, shopping, etc.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Jeff

If you're the type of person who can't sit still for too long and likes to always be on the go, running around and covering as much ground as possible, then your proposed itinerary may make sense.

However, if you want to relax and take it easy and don't enjoy packing, unpacking, then packing again, checking in , then out , then in again, getting to the airport, going through security, boarding the plane then getting your luggage and renting a car, etc.... then I would certainly not try to do more than two islands in 12 days.

The truth is that there is really enough on any one island to keep you occupied for the entire time, especially if you take it in slowly, at your convenience and spend a lot of time just relaxing.

Since you will likely have to fly into and/or out of HNL anyway, I would suggest that you either fit Pearl Harbor in between flights or stay on Oahu at least overnight, possibly longer.

As to whether to spend the rest of the time on Kauai or Maui, that depends on your tastes: If you want more nightlife then you'll probably want Maui. If you want fewer tourists and more unspoiled, lush beauty, then you'd probably prefer Kauai.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Deb

I'll have to disagree with Celeste. Maybe I'm too young (27) to appreciate the significance of the Memorial, but I would suggest that you cancel your two days on Oahu and spend more time on Kauai.

You said you're on your honeymoon and I'm assuming you'll be looking to relax, sit on the beach, and enjoy the Hawaiian paradise. Although you can do that on Oahu, it is very crowded and busy.

Just my advice based only on a one week trip to Oahu earlier this month. My next trip to the Islands will definitely be to Kauai. I wouldn't go back to Oahu unless someone paid me.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Deb

Sorry about the double post. Don't know what's going on with my laptop or my ISP.

But I still think that you should spend more time on Kauai. I see the other poster's point about going straight to the Islands and dropping the stop in SF too.

Let us know what you decide and have fun planning your wedding and honeymoon!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Ashleigh

hmmm - such decisions! Maybe we will nix San Fran and spend the 2 nights on Oahu. We're flying there anyway, but our trip home is through Maui.
It's definitely possible to go back and really see CA, but it's not too likely that we'd go back to HI.

Thanks for all those who responded, and anyone else who wants to add their 2 cents - feel free!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Jenn

Ashleigh,

I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon November 2000. We are from Philly and we stopped in San Fran for two days. Then we did Maui for 4 and Kauai for 5. We loved Hawaii so much so we went back this past August and spent 7 days in Oahu.

A couple thoughts...the stopover in California is a nice break from such a long flight. You need some relaxing time from your big day and San Fran is the best. I would definitely recommend the stopover. We drove down to Hearst Castle and saw it for a second time.

Pearl Harbor and the Punchbowl Memorial are so very moving! You would be missing out. Plus, we liked the fact that we could go to the beach and walk to bars, restaurants, etc. Many people don't like Oahu because they compare it to a big city (NYC or Philly) but we loved it.

Maui is fun but it seemed like we had to drive to EVERYTHING. There are many different activities to do on the island.

Kauai is a very quiet island and restaurants close early so this might be a good island to finish your honeymoon and relax!

Enjoy! You are going to have a GREAT TIME no matter what you choose!
Congratulations!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Mike Hocksbigg

show some respect...go

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Clare

I agree too much traveling. Kind of silly to go to Pearl Harbor but then skip on Hawaiian historical sites that render equally tragic stories like Iolani Palace IMHO. Besides if you dedicated a second trip back you can also visit the Japanese cultural center and see how the bombing impacted life on Oahu, search for spies, marshall law, it is all part of the story.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Melissa

I agree, you should skip the 2 nights in San Francisco and go straight to Oahu. I don't know why Oahu gets such a bad rap--I live here and I love it. I think that since you are coming from New York, you might want to be on Oahu first ANYWAY to help you transition to the much slower lifestyle of Maui, then the MUCH slower lifestyle on Kauai!

The historical sights are very important, IMHO. I mean, I am not anywhere NEAR old enough to understand the World Wars, but when I went to Normandy a couple of years ago to see the D-Day beaches, I was very, very moved. I also think it's important for people to understand the history of the islands, which helps all the more in enjoying their beauty.

So in addition to the other posters' recommendations to Pearl Harbor (include the USS Missouri if you have time) and Iolani Palace, I will throw in Bishop Museum. Also: This is not historical, but I think you will enjoy a drive up Tantalus for the fabulous view, and then drive down the hill to the Contemporary Museum for lunch.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:49 AM
just curious

I can't imagine what would be more important to do in Hawaii than stop to pay your respects at Pearl Harbor.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:49 AM
sandy

Would have to agree with skipping SF and getting right to Hawaii.

We did it from Boston- with about a 2 hour layover at LAX. Was VERY long day, but well worth the extra time we had when we did get to Hawaii.

Pearl Harbor is very moving and worth the trip. You won't regret it.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Ross

no ones measuring here just curious but I think you might want to look into Hawaiian history before you ask this leaping and contentious question. Still it's good you ask. What could be more important, again no one is measuring but you should know how a nation of people lost their land and right to govern themselves, first through simple laws and land ownership then through brut force. How a nation of people went from being self sufficient families to working poor. How the Hawaiian population dwindling from 400,000 to 40,000 from disease brought to the islands by western sailors. It's all important just curious, going to Hawaii and only caring about white history is sad in its self and a loss to you as a tourist. I guess that is what is more important just curious learning the story of a culture lost not just the story of the people you can relate to.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Ross

PS Bishop museum has plenty of historical information on how Hawaii was settled by recent migrations (100years). Iolani Palace tells you something of the over throw of Hawaii certainly worth the trip.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:49 PM
sss

up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -