Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii v. Caribbean for 10 year anniversary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-v-caribbean-for-10-year-anniversary-420088/)

znstravels Aug 26th, 2008 03:53 PM

Hawaii v. Caribbean for 10 year anniversary?

Hi there,

We were married in Maui and have been to the Hawaiian islands many times over the past 10 years. I am trying to plan our anniversary trip for Feb09 and need some input.

Have never been to the Caribbean or Mexico and thought it might be fun to try something new...can anyone out there who loves Hawaii tell me of their experiences, ie islands or places that they have enjoyed? We are traveling from California and would spend 7-9 days. We generally stay in Condos and would like to keep the price at no more than $300 per night. Thanks for your suggestions!

DebitNM Aug 26th, 2008 04:04 PM

It's a way long ride, but St John in US Virgin Islands is great.

We were there in 2006 and also in HI that year and truth be known, USVI had better beaches, snorkeling, nicer water.

Try something different this year!
Deb

hpeabody Aug 26th, 2008 04:06 PM

Hi, I feel like Hawaii is my 2nd home. I've gone once a year every year but 1 since 1980. So I guess you could say I love Hawaii. Last year I went to the Caribbean on a cruise for the first time, pretty but too third worldish for me. I would go back to the JW Marriott in Cancun, Mexico in a heartbeat for the right price. It's the kind of place you can just "BE" and hang out and enjoy the beauty of the water and the elegance of the hotel and RELAX. There are day outings available to do such as Toulum and Chichinitza and maybe Xel Ha. It seems like the JW might just fit the bill for an anniversary trip :) A week might be too long, just be advised.

beachkomer Aug 26th, 2008 04:12 PM

The ocean+beaches in the Caribbean are beautiful! I've been to
Oahu, Kauai, Maui, BI, St. Lucia, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Bequia, Barbados, St.Vincent...

Ask yourself this:

What do you want out of your trip?
If you want to share a new destination, get a bit outside the comfort zone, get thee to the Caribbean. Ya, mon.

What do you want to do? Eat/drink/lay on the beach/night life?
If you want to relax, eat and drink the Caribbean offers all inclusives which was a nice change for us in Jamaica. If you want night life, Aruba is suppose to have some. (I've not been there).

I think that people (like me) get into a travel rut (no offense) and need to get outside their comfort zone and try new places. I got really outside my comfort zone and went on the Easy Cruise by myself to 6 islands. It was one of my all time favorite travel experiences.

You should try the Island picker here or on concierge. It will help you narrow down your activities, desires with which island!

If you've "done" Hawaii, my vote is the Caribbean and something with a great island vibe.

bk

dusty56438 Aug 26th, 2008 05:05 PM

I see from one of your other posts that you are from San Francisco area.

For that reason alone, you ought to stick with Hawaii.

Had you been from the east coast, I would have recommend a Caribbean island because you've been to Hawaii many times.

beachkomer Aug 26th, 2008 06:16 PM

Yes, but, gosh, what's a few more hours to see a new part of the world?

Something new??

An anniversary is saying, 'let's celebrate being together and enjoy
exploring new territory together'.

Just my opinion.

I spent my 10th anniversary in Havana, Cuba, and was 6' from
Castro. No, Cuba wasn't posh, it was an experience I will never forget. We still talk about having Cuban cigars and watching the show at the original Tropicana and drinking rum and daiquiri's where Hemingway drank. Seeing something
other than the USA.

I know you might not be able to go to Cuba, my point is, see something new together! Not so convenient!

bk

traveljunkie28 Aug 26th, 2008 06:34 PM

Hi Have you ever looked into Belize? I don't think the flight from SF would be too bad. I've never been but have researched it enough to know one day I will visit. I also have friends that loved it so much are looking to buy there.

JohnD Aug 27th, 2008 04:54 AM

Reply to <font color="blue">znstravels,
<font color="black">Agree that St John, USVI is a worthwhile destination for beautiful beaches, snorkeling and exploring. You might find a private villa in your $-)range to rent instead of condo, suggest checking Caribbean thread.

We are thankfull for our visits to 6 of the Hawaiian islands and feel you are also fortunate residing in CA being closer to H((R))I. In our experience visiting the Caribbean made us further appreciate the beauty, culture, and aloha spirit of Hawaii. :S-</font></font>

Leonora Aug 27th, 2008 05:29 AM

I have just returned from my first trip to HI and must say you have a dilemma. We only went to the oft-maligned Oahu, and I was blown away with the variety of activities available. Have been to Mexico several times and to much of the Caribbean. From a cost perspective, you probably can't beat an all inclusive in the Mayan Riviera (check Apple vacations or whoever does packages from the west coast) There are many all-inclusives choose from--Palace and RIU both being highly touted. The beaches and water on that side of Mexico are gorgeous, and these all-inclusives are quite oppulent; we were not impressed with the west coast beaches.

The Caribbean will be very expensive for you and offers the least in terms of variety of activities. It would be my last choice after the Mayan Riviera or HI.

bfrac Aug 27th, 2008 05:52 AM

I live on the east coast and still prefer to fly longer and go to Hawaii rather than the caribbean. It gives me a peace and relaxation that I never find in the caribbean.

annikany Aug 27th, 2008 07:57 AM

I live on the east coast too and I prefer Hawaii over the Caribbean as well. Bermuda though however is awesome and yet not in the Caribbean and will be cooler there in Februaury than the Caribbean. If I chose to visit the Caribbean again St. Barts would be high on my list after doing a lot of research. Of the islands I've visited Grand Cayman I thought was really my favorite.

znstravels Aug 27th, 2008 08:05 AM

Wow...lots of food for thought. I am torn between my desire to see someplace new (60%) and convenience to Hawaii (40%). I was told United will increase their mileage requirement so was hoping to book using frequent flyer miles by the end of the month. I will check into St. John, Cayman Islands and Cancun..please keep your thoughts coming as I do value the ideas! Many thanks.

JohnD Aug 27th, 2008 08:20 AM

Tough dilemma :S-,

I.M.H.O.: St. John is somehat similar to Kaua`i, Grand Cayman to Maui, Cancun to Oahu.

LLindaC Aug 27th, 2008 09:04 AM

Seeing the Caribbean from a cruise is no way to experience the true beauty of many islands.

I like St John, but really prefer the British Virgin Islands. Take the ferry to Jost Van Dyke and sail to outlying islands. Take a puddle jumper to Anegada. Book a sailing excursion to several great snorkeling spots.

mouseRD Aug 27th, 2008 10:02 AM

If money/time were no object, leaving from the West Coast, I would go to Tahiti/Moorea or New Zealand (would probably need 2 weeks at least!).

GBC Aug 27th, 2008 10:50 AM

Consider New Zealand. It is a wonderful trip. If time is limited, just do the south island. You can always return for the north one.

Note: the last I knew, the exchange rate for the NZ dollar was quite favorable.

jamie99 Aug 27th, 2008 02:30 PM

We are also from California and go to Hawaii every fall for the last 10 years (Kauai) and in the spring we usually go to the Riviera Maya. I think if you want to travel to the Caribbean area you would get more bang for your housing buck in the Yucatan, Caribbean just seems too expensive for me. Right now it is about 10 pesos to the US$ although if you change money at your hotel or resort, you'll get 9.5

If you do decide to go there, recommend skipping Cancun unless you are really big on clubbing, try someplace farther south.

Happy Anniversary!

suze Aug 27th, 2008 04:12 PM

My two favorite beach destinations are Waikiki and Puerto Vallarta Mexico.

beachkomer Aug 27th, 2008 05:09 PM

Another way that you can look at your choice, if you plan to always live in California, Hawaii isn't going anywhere! I love Hawaii too!

I am also intrigued by the other polynesian ideas. Tahiti? Yeah,
this would be a new destination and outside the comfort zone of Hawaii!

:)

GP Aug 27th, 2008 05:37 PM

Hi znstravels

We have been to Hawaii four times Mexico four times plus Belize and New Zealand. Save NZ for when you have more time. Look to the Yucatan Belize is pretty cool try googling Roberts Grove. Skip the large all inclusives in Mexico check out the the Playa de carmen area or Akumal

Have Fun
GP