Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii trip when pregnant-which islands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-trip-when-pregnant-which-islands-1068156/)

BK1000 Aug 12th, 2015 11:09 AM

Hawaii trip when pregnant-which islands?

Hi,

We are planning a 8 day trip to Hawaii for my second trimester and wondering what islands
are best for a good mix of relaxing and activity? We also wondered whether it would be too
stressful to do 2 islands? (We will be flying from the East Coast so will have a long flight).

Also, is the Big Island not advisable because of the sulfur fumes? Would you save that for
another trip?

Thanks!!

jamie99 Aug 12th, 2015 11:24 AM

With just 8 days stick to one island especially coming from the East Coast. It is not advised to visit Volcano National park on the Big Island for pregnant women and small children.

fdecarlo Aug 12th, 2015 12:37 PM

It would depend on what kinds of activities you're looking for. Pregnancy pretty much rules out long hikes and other physically strenuous excursions, and if the main goal is just a nice beach during the day and a bit of shopping at night, any of the major islands (except for Molokai or Lanai) will do just fine.

If there are any known complications with the pregnancy that might require medical attention during your visit, I'd steer you toward either the North Shore of Oahu or Maui. If there's not, Kauai or Maui. The main problem with the Big Island for pregnant women isn't sulphur fumes, it's driving distances. Terribly uncomfortable for many women at least from what I've heard. Kauai is substantially smaller than the BI (or even Maui), so it's another plus when choosing. And for wow factor it can't be beat. Stay on the south side if you don't like rain and the north or east sides if you do. Some of us do. :)

suze Aug 12th, 2015 03:47 PM

With 8 (short) days I would choose just one island (nothing to do with being pregnant). I just think you get more out of a trip by not pulling up and changing islands after only 3-4 days and there's really nothing to gain trying to see two rather than just digging a little deeper into one.

I have only been to Maui and Oahu and loved them both. Kauai would be worth considering if you want the most laid-back place. All have a good mix of relaxation and activities available.

When I was planning my first trip to Hawaii I got guidebooks from the library and looked at photos and read about activities, history, culture of each island.

longhorn55 Aug 12th, 2015 08:55 PM

We went to Hawaii once when I was pregnant (beginning of 2nd trimester). We were there for a week and split our time between Oahu and Maui--it worked out great! In Oahu, we did a lot of sightseeing and a little relaxing on the beach. On Maui, we did a lot of relaxing on the beach and a little sightseeing.

BK1000 Aug 13th, 2015 07:47 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies!

We are going in mid-September. Is there a better island in terms of weather (not too hot) at that time?

FaceInTheCrowd Aug 13th, 2015 10:44 AM

Kaua'i is the farthest north, and its north shore is spectacular in September. But that doesn't necessarily mean you'll escape the heat by going there. When we were there last September, even the "locals" were complaining about the heat, so you'll definitely want accommodations with A/C.

fdecarlo Aug 13th, 2015 12:36 PM

The islands are always within a few degrees of each other, so the determining factor for comfort isn't usually temperature, it's humidity. Trade winds occasionally fail in summer and early fall months, and that's when humidity skyrockets. For those occasions you'll not only want but need A/C. Much better to have it and not need it than vice versa.