Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Travel Books (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-travel-books-495722/)

madclan Jan 15th, 2005 04:56 PM

Hawaii Travel Books

I will be travelling to Hawaii this summer for a wedding and some vacation. There will be four of us (Myself, my brother and our wives). It is a first time trip for us all.

We are planning to stay on Oahu, in the Honolulu area, for 4/5 days and then on to Maui for 6/7 days.

Any recommendations of lodging and the best things to do and see would be appreciated.

Also, recommendations of a good tour book or visitor guide would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Suzie Jan 15th, 2005 05:11 PM

The just released Oahu Revealed should be a good guide book. It's by the same authors as the Maui Revealed, Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and Big Island revealed which are quite popular for their honest reviews and map guides. See the web site at wizardpub.com.

Connie Jan 15th, 2005 07:02 PM

My daughter just returned from Oahu for her honeymoon. I bought her two popular tour books. She found Oahu Revealed to be invaluable.

bonniebroad Jan 15th, 2005 07:17 PM

I especially like the Frommers guides to the Hawaiian Islands, along with the "Revealed" series. Great detail, always current (as current as travel guides can be, that is.)

gambs Jan 15th, 2005 07:20 PM

Agree with the "revealed" series being very good. There are many lodging choices depending on your budget.

A nice excursion on Oahu was to the Polynesian Cultural Center on the north side of the island for a luau or show. It's set up to give presentations of life on all the different polynesian islands. If you enjoy surfing this area is also near the famed Banzai pipeline.

If you get a chance I'd highly recommend the Big Island of Hawaii. Incredible beauty! Lush rainforests and waterfalls in the northeast (Hilo) area and amazing volcano terrain in the southwest. Great place to stay is Volcano House near Kiluea crater. You can actually go out and get close enough to toast marshmallows at the lava flows!!

gyppielou Jan 15th, 2005 07:48 PM

If you are not set on the grand resort idea in Maui, might I suggest alohapualani.com in Kihei. It is the islands first boutique hotel with just 6 units surrounding it's beautiful pool and 5 star outdoor kitchen for you use. When we had dinner at Spago, about 4 people including the General manager introduced themselves saying "you're staying with Sherri...we LOVE that place! We cater special functions there" So check it out....also a no children property if that matters. Have a fabulous trip!

madclan Jan 18th, 2005 08:30 PM

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Our plans are starting to take a little more shape. We are looking at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel on Oahu and then the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort. Any ideas, recommendations, comments regarding these properties are welcome. Or, other options.

The Hyatt seems a bit pricey. I wonder if it is worth the difference from other Hotels?

Also interested in snorkeling, particulary in Maui, so any recommended spots or cruise pkgs. would be welcome.

Will definetly check out alohapualani.com, it sounds very interesting.

Thanks

CaliNurse Jan 19th, 2005 12:29 AM

IMHO, Maui Hyatt is not worth the price difference. (The Hyatt in Kauai...well, that's another matter!!!)
Recommend Richard Sullivan's guides "Driving and Discovering Hawaii" Oahu and Maui guides-- wonderful, unique books of photos with clear directions of how to get to the sites of the photos. Took me a few minutes to get used to his photo/map color numberical coding system, but well worth the effort.

CaliNurse Jan 19th, 2005 12:35 AM

oops, meant "numerical."
Snorkeling in maui--well known area is Black Rock, reached off the beach inthe Kaanapali Resort area, West Maui.
if you want to be in W. Maui area, perhaps look at some of the condos on the beach in Kahana (e.g. Hololani, Outrigger Royal Kahana). They are more reasonably priced, and less touristy feel, than Hyatt or other big Kaanapli resorts. It's nice (and economical) to have your own kitchen, washer-dryer, etc.

beachgirl86 Jan 19th, 2005 03:05 AM

We stayed at the Maui Hyatt this summer and really enjoyed it. We got it on Hotwire.com for $208/night -- a much better price than the $400 night rack rates! Check it out and see if it's a deal for your dates. (It's the 5 star on Kaanapali).

kkraczek Jan 19th, 2005 03:58 AM

I recommend "Maui Trailblazer" by Jerry & Janine Sprout for a comprehensive list of active things to do... great book!