Search

Denali or anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denali or anchorage

We will be in Alaska for two and a half weeks. The first part we will be on the Kenai peninsular, and the middle week will be a kayak trip out of Petersburg . I am look for help for the last part. We have two and a half days. We had our heart set on going to Denali- could drive there in the afternoon after arriving in Anchorage, the next day spend at Denali and the following day make our way back to Anchorage for our flight home at midnight. My worry is that it will be too much time in a car or the shuttle bus and not be a relaxing way to end our trip. On the other hand we've never been to Alaska and always wanted to see Denali. What do you think? Thanks for your help.
Phyllis
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Denial..we found driving in Alaska easy..rest when you get home.
I really like what you've planned so far, beautiful spots.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM

Denali does take time - and much of it is spent driving there and riding a bus thru the Park. But go - you will always wonder and regret if you do not. I have mixed feelings about our trip thru Denali (narrow road, scary heights and S-curves), but it felt like Alaska. Got a good view of the mountain, saw animals - not likely I will return to Alaska, so something I am glad I experienced.

Anchorage is best described by a quote I read somewhere - "best thing about Anchorage is that it is close to Alaska". It is a small city with some interesting parts, but between the 2 - go with Denali. Sleep on the plane.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Ok we're going to Denali and will sleep on the plane.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM

Just to let you know, we two senior Aussies have done a DAY TRIP from Anchorage to Denali- we caught the bus there for a fantastic sightseeing ride through the park, and drove back to Anchorage late in the afternoon. The days are so long, so most of this very long trip was in daylight (it was early June) and we left Anchorage about 4.30am. We used the next day to relax around Anchorage, as we had 10 days there, and we also drove to Valdez, (and a boat cruise) and back in a day. Of course, we had to go back to Alaska another time and do it again at a more leisurely rate.

So your idea of driving to Denali,then overnight, then back to Anchorage is perfectly feasible, especially as I'm sure you are a lot younger than we are. Enjoy!