Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Summer Family Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-summer-family-trip-305118/)

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 15th, 2008 06:22 AM

Hawaii Summer Family Trip

We are thinking of going out to Hawaii this summer. Anytime from June - August. I know nothing about the different islands, where to go, etc. My kids are 5 and 8 and we may be traveling with another family with a 4 year old. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appeciated!!1 I dont even no where to begin :)
Thanks!!!!

suze Feb 15th, 2008 06:47 AM

My first trip, I checked out a big pile of guidebooks with photos and leafed thru them all to get to know more about the different islands.

Are you coming from Florida (guessing by your screenname)?

First things to decide (or tell us so we'll be able to answer better)...

How long is the trip? Which island(s) are you most interested in? And do you want to stay in resorts, hotels, or rent a condo? Price range?

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 15th, 2008 07:10 AM

Yes coming from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Probably stay about 10 days including travel time. We like resorts with an amazing pool for the kids. Not sure what islands to go to.

My husband wants to dive, we want to take kids snorkeling, we want to do volcanoes, rain forest, and anything natural - that would be special for hawaii.

Prices range - havent decided an exact amount - we never do. Hotel less than 300 a night I would think. Anyone that includes breakfast is always a benefit!
Probably need a car - then we need to go to other isalnds - do you fly?? ferry??

Thanks!

Marginal Feb 15th, 2008 07:21 AM

The hotels with amazing pools are not likely to be less than $300 a night, especially during the peak summer travel months. Avoid going anywhere around the July 4th holiday.

Great pools:
Grand Wailea- Maui
Grand Hyatt- Kauai
Hyatt Kanaapali- Maui

On Expedia.com, it is hard to get a room at these places in the summer for under about $450 a night.

You will need a car. For 10 days traveling with 2 children, attempt to see only 1 or 2 islands, no more. With the exception of the Oahau-Maui ferry, you must fly between islands.

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 15th, 2008 07:43 AM

I read somewhere that June was before the summer rush. Maybe not huh - what about priceline?

Bikom Feb 15th, 2008 07:46 AM

IMO, Maui is the perfect first island to visit, especially with young kids. The Grand Wailea has the most amazing pool complex anywhere, and a fantastic beach to boot. The Westin Maui has a very nice one as well, and should be a little cheaper than GW (but both will be over 300 a night). There are many nice snorkel spots, but there is a crescent shaped snorkle spot off Maui that you take a boat to that has spectacular snorkeling.

On the Big Island, The Hilton Waikaloa is a kids haven, but there is not a swimmable beach there, you'd have to drive to Hapuna Beach, but it has plenty of pools, a man-made lagoon, and a boat and train to take you around the enormous grounds. The Big Island tends to be more affordable and has the only active volcano in Hawaii.

You will definately want a car, I think Oahu would be the only island with good public transportation.

Restaurants are expensive, but almost all have kids menus.

Doing a search here will give you tons of info to help make your decision.

Marginal Feb 15th, 2008 07:53 AM

Anytime school is out is a high season.

I think it would be quite difficult to get the Grand Wailea on Priceline. The hotel is often full with conferences.

Hilton Waikoloa on Hawaii is a good idea.

Yeah, watch out for restaurant prices. It's really difficult to get a hotel restaurant lunch for 2 adults and 2 kids under $100.

colombiana Feb 15th, 2008 08:51 AM

MiamiBeachMomma:
Last year we left from FLL into Maui and came home Honolulu to FLL dates May 31 to June 14 and we paid $674.00 per ticket with US Airways. I too have read that the "rush" starts in the middle of June. If you are intrested in visiting two islands once you decide which once you want to see I'd fly in from one and leave from your second choice, always plug in the different islands in your itinerary the price difference can be huge! You will have to fly from one island to the next and prices for those tickets (depending on which island you will travel from) are usually between $39 to $49 each. Marginal gave you the names of the top hotels with the best pools, there are others with nice pools too we stayed at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa and loved it!. I am a big fan of Priceline so I would try it. Hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Gina

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 17th, 2008 05:00 PM

Is it cheaper to look at packages that include flights, hotels, car, all included??

dusty56438 Feb 17th, 2008 06:11 PM

Spend 1/2 the time on Oahu & 1/2 on Maui.

Although you can get by without a car on Oahu, I recommend renting a car the entire time. You can see the island much better with a car.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34812564

MelissaHI Feb 17th, 2008 06:21 PM

Agree w/Dusty, except that you say you want to see volcanoes....maybe 1/2 time on Oahu, 1/2 time on the Big Island.

Before we all start confusing you, it's really important that you get a guidebook so you can see the difference between all the islands and better decide which ones will be best to suit your personal needs.

dusty56438 Feb 17th, 2008 08:13 PM

Big Island is the only island with live lava. But the lava is flowing in an area not accessible by foot or vehicle. So you would have to take a helicopter tour to see the lava.

All of the islands have volcanic craters.

On Maui, there is Haleakala. Watching a sunrise from the top there is really nice. Any other time of the day is also nice if you don't want to get the kids up that early.

On Oahu, the three main craters to see are:

Diamond Head, which you can drive into & climb to the top.

National Cemetery of the Pacific is in a crater.

Hanauma Bay is a crater with the ocean side of it gone. You can snorkel in this crater.

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 22nd, 2008 08:42 AM

What are the great hotels on Oahu and which area do you stay in?

Also do you think we can do 3 islands in 10 days so we can add the BI and volcanos to maui & oahu? It doesnt seem that we can do it as a day trip - or can we??

With that said where to stay in BI??

MiamiBeachMomma Feb 22nd, 2008 04:59 PM

topping

MelissaHI Feb 22nd, 2008 05:36 PM

ummm not to be rude, but just wondering...did you get your guidebook yet? Also have you done a "search" on the forum?

dusty56438 Feb 22nd, 2008 05:50 PM

You can do a day trip to Big Island. Fly into Hilo.

But then to see live lava you have to take a helicopter tour as the lava flow is in an area not accessible by foot or vehicle.

That lava flow frequently changes so there may be a chance to see lava flow close up by foot or vehicle, but it is doubtful.

MelissaHI Mar 19th, 2008 12:13 AM

I knew the "Hawaii Summer Family Trip" title sounded familiar.

FamilyTravlin Mar 21st, 2008 10:49 AM

MiamiBeachMomma
Just my opinion but we love Kauai, the natural beauty is incredible and they have lush rain forests, beautiful beaches,diving, snorkeling, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, great little towns. Our family definitely likes less "action" and more outdoor activities. I have heard that Kauai has some great dive sights. You could get a 3 bedroom house for $1400 (sleeps four to six) a week (vrbo.com, homeaway.com), but not on the beach, but walking distance to the beach. We like staying on the North (lush green, gorgeous beaches,hiking, great snorkeling) and South side of the island (less lush but sunny and beautiful). Things are booking up fast so you better start soon. I was looking for lodging the last week or so and finally booked yesterday. We are leaving in early June. Good luck!