Summer New York Vacation

Search

Summer New York Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer New York Vacation

We will be going to New York City for the 4th time, 2nd in the Summer. We will be staying at the Jumeirah Essex House for 5 nights from the 29th of June to the 4th of July. We've basically done everything that a normal New York tourist would do, and we need to dig deeper. We've seen the Statue of Liberty, The Financial District/ Wall st, stayed in Battery Park, seen Soho and Tribeca, Times Square, saw The Lion King, Wicked, and The Addams Family, went to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), stayed in midtown at 57th st, stayed in the Upper East SIde, stayed in the Upper West side, went to the Natural History Museum, walked through Central Park, and ate at a 3 star Michelin Restaurant (Daniel). Could you give my any ideas on what else to do? We were thinking the Metropolitan Museum of Art and rowing a boat on the lake? We love to shop and realize that we will shop all day, for one or two days and a little bit on the rest of them. Also, could you recommend a great place to have afternoon tea?
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM

Take the Ikea ferry to Ikea in Brooklyn

Take the hop on hop off ferry around Manhattan and hop off and explore each neighborhood it stops at.

Visit the Museum of the City of New York and the Conservatory Garden in Central Park which is across the street from it.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Visit St John the Devine Church

If you visit the Met you can also visit the Cloisters on the same day for the same price. If you do go to the Cloisters, spend a little while in neighboring Fort Tryon Park (http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/forttryonpark)
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 05:11 AM

See the tenement museum, the frick, take a walking tour of Chinatown.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 05:42 AM

New York has a ton of sights you haven;t listed:

Central Park - tour the park (go to the website of the Central park Conservancy) see Strawberry Fields, have brunch at the Boathouse, row on the lake and have a look at the Shakespeare or Conservatory Garden.

Check out the Botanical Garden in the Bronx, or the one in Brooklyn.

Tour Grand Central Station and have a look at the exhibit and reading room at the main branch of the Public Library (gorgeous)

Visit some of the other major museums - Ellis Island Immigration, New York Historical Society, Museum of the City of New York, Tenement Museum, Museo del Barrio, the Cloisters (fantastic remains from renaissance and earlier europe), the Frick, Guggenheim etc, etc. And perhaps look at a few of the less frequented ones.

Walk the high line.

Spend a day gallery hopping.

And there are a ton of great shows on Broadway - I would start with Anything Goes which is wonderfully evocative of an age more "innocent" in a very cynical way.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM

For tea, check out the London Hotel...just stayed there and the afternoon tea looked lovely.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM

Check out Joyce Gold tours.
She is a wonderful resource, sponsoring wonderful tours in various parts of NYC. Her tours are reasonable and informative, usually lasting about 2 hours. She is very knowledgeable about New York. Check out her website. Click on her Spring schedule of tours to get an idea of the kind of tour that she conducts
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Im not to keen about taking the Ikea ferry, and have already seen the Grand Central Station, Ellis Island and the Public Library. Is the food at the Boathouse good? Is tea at The Plaza good? I would also like to stay in manhattan.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM

The Boat House has good food, not great, but the location is beautiful. The Met and Broadway shows could also give you a chance to be in some air conditioning while seeing fabulous stuff. The Museum of Art and Design is near your hotel and has some interesting exhibits.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM

There are literally dozens of museums for every possible interest - check out the web sites of New York Magazine and Time Out New York.

And one good restaurant doesn;t make NYC. Have a look at all of the variou options to see what its big at the moment - Vietnamese sandwiches? schnitzels? whatever.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM

Greenwich Village? East Village? Lower East Side?

"House" museums like the Merchant's House, Frick Museum, Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, Morris-Jumel Mansion, Morgan Library, Mount Vernon Hotel Museum and Gardn (fromerly the Abigail Adams Smith house).
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recommendations, however, I don't want the whole trip to revolve around museum after museum after museum, etc.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM

Well leave Manhattan for Queens the most culturally diverse county in the country or head to the Bronx, Brooklyn, or Staten Island. You really haven't left the island of Manhattan, the smallest borough in the City!

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM

She said she'd like to stay in Manhattan - I took that to mean she isn't interested in the other boroughs.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

That is correct, I want to stay in Manhattan
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:14 AM

have you taken the staten islandferry? any of the othr boattrips? what special interests do you have that we can reco sights for?

do you want something athletic? try chelsea piers
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Hi,
Look into spending part of your day exploring The High Line. It's an old railroad track that is elevated. They turned it into New York's first elevated park. It stretches across I think about 20 blocks and it's really beautiful. It has great sights of the West Side Highway. It goes now from 14th Street until 34th Street. It's really awesome.

I, too, LOVE the Museum of the City of New York. It's not too overwhelming, and it always has great sights.

A carriage ride in the park followed by lunch at the Boat House in Central Park is also nice.

Boat Basin on the West Side has water views as well as The Frying Pan in Chelsea.

For Tea there is Tea and Sympathy which is an English place in the village (http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/home.php) and I just read about The Kings Carriage House on the Upper East Side does tea too.

Maybe take in a baseball game? Both stadiums are accessible by subway.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 06:48 PM

I don't see the East village, lower east side, alphabet city, harlem or washington heights mentioned. Digging deeper means leaving the island of Manhattan - so far you a New York Tourist. Have fun whatever you do.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM

I'd definitely put the Tenament Museum on your list. Then you can spend the rest of the day shopping in trendy boutiques on the Lower East side. And have lunch in a trendy LES restaurant for some celebrity spotting or just eat at the Meatball Shop. But Schillers Liquor Bar has a big celebrity following. Julia Roberts was having lunch there last time my partner went (it's near his office).
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Understand you want to stay in Manhattan, but get yourself down to Chelsea Piers and take one of the great boat rides around the island, either day or evening. You will learn a lot of history, see the bridges and a lot of historical bldgs, w/good educational and interesting commentary from the historian on the boat, and on the evening cruise you see the lights go up in the city which is magical.

I have been to NYC over 50 times in the last 10 yrs. and I still have not scratched the surface on the city. And I am not one to visit a lot of museums either. What have you liked most about the city in the past aside from shopping (not just what you've done, but what have you enjoyed?) That would help in deciding what you;ve missed so far that would interest you.

And who is "we?" Is this two adults, or are there children or young adults involved?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM

It's been mentioned above but we took a wonderful walking tour (free) given by the Central Park Conservancy. We took the one that started at the east side at 75th and ended up at the Imagine garden on the west side at 72nd. It took us through many beautiful and interesting parts of the park that we didn't even know existed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -