Hawaii Past It's Prime ?

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Past It's Prime ?

Is Hawaii past it's prime as a tourist destination? It would appear so to me as the islands are nothing like they were years ago. Hawaii is going downhill rapidly with overdevelopment and too many tourists.

Are their people out there who can remember what the various islands were like 25, 30, or more years ago? Like when there was just a little two lane winding country road along the ocean from the Maui airport to Kaanapali and the other resort areas; and when you picked up your luggage at the airport from a little hut with a thatched roof right next to the runaway.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Go to the Cook Islands. Rarotonga is "like Hawaii used to be 50 years ago" - actually more like 70. Not a single traffic light on the island, quiet, slow paced, idyllic. Pretty perfect in my opinion.

Ken

BTW - Most of Kauai is still pretty quiet.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM

As far as I am concerned it is still a beautiful tropical vacation spot. I first visited 20 years ago and yes there are many changes even in that amount of time, however I wouldn't say it is past it's prime. I think it would be hard to find a travel destination that hasn't undergone changes unless you are talking about someplace that is very remote.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Oh, heck no, Rusty, Hawaii is at its prime as a tourist desitnation. That is if by tourist desitination you mean a place where people can shop for trinkets at well-known national MegaMarts, go to an air-conditioned cookie cutter chain hotel room, eat at chain restaurants, be herded like cattle to designated points of interest, complain that there aren't any freeways and then tell the locals how they should change their life and start doing things like the rest of the United States.

My favorite "tourist" advice, overheard at a beach front bar: "Don't waste your time driving to Hana. You can see better waterfalls at the hotels in Wailea."

Sorry, I have had my aloha tested and drained today. Today I have to wonder why the people who dislike our way of life so much keep coming back? Sadly, Rusty, those for whom we have become overdeveloped are often the very same ones who complain about the traffic and crowds, and then go home and write letters to the editor saying we need to build freeways and more shopping malls so their next trip will be more convenient.

It breaks my husband's heart. He waited 30 years to return home, only to return to a place so changed from the Maui of his youth. The worst part is when the recent transplants and visitors start talking about how to change the place. Why would you come to a place wanting to change it? Alas, such has been the state of affairs for these islands ever since first contact.

We are looking at property on Moloka`i. As much DH loves Maui, Moloka`i may be our next move.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM

And yet again tourists are pegged as the bad guys. It's amazing how many Hawaiian locals love our money, but hate us.

If you want a taste of what Hawaii is like without tourist dollars, visit the poorer neighborhoods of Puna on the Big Island. People there are living in absolute squalor.

But here_today is right about one thing: whether Hawaii is past its prime depends entirely on what you mean by prime. We've been traveling there for the past 20+ years, and if having to constantly worry about food poisoning and bad drinking water is your idea of paradise, then yes, Hawaii is definitely past its prime.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Since when does one have to worry about bad drinking water and food poisoning in Hawaii? I thought that was the problem in Mexico and South America - not Hawaii.
I do not believe the Hawaiians are money-grubbers, they are genuinely warm, accomodating people. Of course, 'hotel" people have to build according to the demands of today. Sadly, there are not enough of us who would like to keep status quo". I think often often about the city that I live in, how it was 25 years ago. I wish that it was the very same - not possible.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 06:14 PM

orchid: The problems I mentioned aren't problems any more in Hawaii, while 20 years ago the situation was quite different. That's the point I was making.

I do agree with your point about the Hawaiian people in general -- they are warm and accomodating, which is one of the main reasons we keep going back every year. But I take issue with Hawaiians who have no problem taking our tourist dollars, and then also have no problem turning right around and accusing us of ruining their state. It's disingenuous at best.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 02:24 AM

I went to Baali exactly one year after the bombing. What a shock I had.
The place was beautiful, tropical, paradise-like and empty. The service was still great and the people were, as always, friendly and kind, but oh so poor.
One day we went to a "tourist" temple and were the only ones to visit for 2 days. I gave our guide and additional 10$ for his kind efforts to show us everything and I think he teared up. The cab driver we came there with was waiting for us outside -- over an hour after he dropped us off.
When we finally left the hotel for the airport I asked the driver if he had been busy that day (it was 5pm). He told me that he showed up for work just after dawn, as he does every day and we were his first fare.
We got to know the people there and realized that, as much as it hurts the "pace" or culture of the island, tourism is an important part of their lives.
Factories create smog and can be an eyesore, farms are responsible for taking up vast tracks of land, separating neighbors for miles; but without them we wouldn't have money in our pockets, clothes on our backs or food in our bellies.

-Craig
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM

It depends on how you define "prime." If you mean a pristine, untouched way of life just discovered and so special for that reason then yes. However nothing so special stays that way once people hear about it. We just returned from the BI yesterday and we loved it. It is nice to get away from it all. That is why we are considering Lanai or Molokai for our next trip. These two are closer to the ideal or the "old" Hawaii. However the "new" one is still amazing to me. Mother Natures orgasm. .
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
here_today, I'll bet it's really annoying when people move to the islands and immediately start trying to make them just like the place they came from, but with better weather. As you will know well, that happens here in So. California all the time.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM

perhaps the local have distain for
the tourists IS because tourists
dont know yet what aloha spirit entails
It'S the mainland mentality of me me me
I I I. Unlike other nationalitiess letting mainland (excuse me but the white population mostly)types getting their way and acting all that well just cop an attitude of superiority it hawaii and see how far it get ya.
Try instead to read up on hawaiiana.
aloha LIVE ALOHA
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:26 AM

I am local born and raised, fourth generation in Hawaii, and as urban as they come, in the heart of downtown Honolulu. The one distinction is that I am from West Oahu, and locals would understand that means I come from the urban poor and working class, as contrasted with the landed rich and professional class that live in most of East Oahu.

Having said that, I have had the privilege of traveling to many of the great cities of the world, including New York, D.C., London, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Vienna, and others too numerous to name.

One of the memorable visits that I have had was at the invitation of my brother.
It was just this past summer that he took me to Hookena, on the west shore of the island of Hawaii.

I saw much of the old Hawaii, and it reminded me that there are many communities that carry that life-style.

Most of the antagonists that push the debate about Hawaii's progression in the global community are well-meaning but many are far removed from the communities that still live the life of historic Hawaii.

Everyone is "right" about this issue. There is much to be concerned about development in Hawaii, but there are extensive stretches where the so-called "old-style" is still available to those who want and seek it.

I think that I understand the basis of Rusty's concerns, but challenge some of his or hers assertions. What other global location offers such a latitude of life-style within a protective meteorlogical and political shell with so many sports, retail, and cultural options?

Locals need to wake up to that formula.
It has vast implications for the cost of living, the fortunes of children and family, and the choice of training, education, and profession.