Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   hawaii on a REAL shoestring (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-on-a-real-shoestring-490957/)

atjaden Dec 15th, 2004 10:02 AM

hawaii on a REAL shoestring

HI I am a Disabled Veteran with 11 & 13 year old girls who want to go to hawaii. I want to fufill this dream for them, and stay under $4000.00. I know it may not happen, but any help would be appreciated. I am seeking real info on the best deals....I can get the flights down to around 2,300.00 on united escapes,(feb 2-9) with a rental car, but that is going to Honolulu and they really want to see the erupting volcano. I found we can stay on base in the Volcano Natl Park ($90), and they will provide transfer to and from Hilo airport....can anyone give us the best ideas here on what to do? I am seeking a good vacation, not a perfect one, we dont mind spending time alone, but there seem SOOOOO many activities, how does one really pick the best value? Is the entertainment 2004 (05) book really worth the $30? Are the coupons available at hotels, etc? thanks so much! I really appreciate the help....

Meesthare Dec 15th, 2004 10:19 AM

I'd suggest you have a look at the "visiting the Big Island" forum at www.konaweb.com. People there might have some really good suggestions. One useful thing to know is that all coastline in Hawaii is public, so any beach is accessible to anybody who wants to go there. I think it's manageable within your budget.

Intrepid1 Dec 15th, 2004 10:19 AM

Are you eligible to stay at the Hale Koa on Waikiki what with your disabled vet ststus?

Lex1 Dec 15th, 2004 10:22 AM

Hawaii has such natural beauty that you can have a great time sightseeing and enjoying the beaches and ocean. You do not need to spend money on activities to have the time of your life. You may be aware that the volcano on the BI is not always erupting and is normally seen only after a long hike across lava fields or by air. You and your girls will have a great trip.

montyw Dec 15th, 2004 10:37 AM

I don't know where you are flying from, but it sure seems like $2300 for 3 tickets is a bit high - of course if you are trying to buy them now for Feb then that is part of the problem.

I have found that there are sales for Airfare to Hawaii for anywhere from $300-450 pretty often, from the West Coast, on Hawaiian, United, and Aloha airlines.

It is best for Hawaii to buy tickets several months ahead - especially for the peak winter season.

If you travel at another time of year you might be able to get the flights for 1/2 of what you are paying.

You can also check into flying right to the Big Island (Kona KOA airport).

Honolulu is the best "bargain" in the islands because of the competition - when you get to the other islands it becomes more expensive. There are inexpensive places all over Hawaii to stay also.

Good luck!!!

atjaden Dec 16th, 2004 08:15 AM

wow thanks so much for the help....we are really trying to get here, I guess I did not put that my spouse is hoing as well!!! :) so there would be 4 of us traveling. I did look into the Hale hotel, and we are on a waiting list, has anyone stayed at the volcano park?
thanks again....ALSO I am postinga new question today...

CaliNurse Dec 16th, 2004 08:58 AM

Please check the Hawaii Volcanoes Nat'l Park web site. You will see that the lava there really is not "erupting" If it does anything, it flows/oozes, and as another poster said, it may not do even that when you are there. There is no way to predict it, and it is a long walk (like 3 miiles each way) to see in any case. I just think it is better for the kids to not imagine one thing, and be disappointed with the reality (i.e. the possibility of no active lava flow).
I second recommendation for Hale Koa in Honolulu. Did you know it is rated # 1 of all Honolulu hotels in tripadvisor (Check that web site if you haven't already--wwwtripadvisor.com.) There is SOOOOO much variety on Oahu. I can't iomagine you not having a great time on that island.
The Entertainment book ..dunno--I've used it less and less over the years, but the place you are most likely to use it would be Oahu. Not a lot of couons for Big Island (where the volcano is). And yes, there are free coupon books available at the hotels (lots in Honolulu) and often in the many tourist magazines you'll find all over the islands,
You say you can stay "on base" at the Volcano. Is there a military facility near there?
You can get a beautiul huge 2 bedrrom condo for $160/night in a lovely part of BIg Island, south of Kona, if you want. We just returned from there
I've not stayed right at the volcano, but did stay in Volcano Village, at a 2 bedroom searate cottage rented by Kilauea Lodge. Don't know the price now--it was about 200/night 4 yrs ago. It might be a pefect place for two nights stay, if the price has not gone up
How LONG are you going for??
There are LOTS of options for a reasonably priced trip to any part of Hawaii. You'll all love it and you don't have to spend over your $4,000 budget. You'll get lots of info on this fourm, the web, books. I'm just another person who's gone to Hawaii a bunch and loves it there, and I am far from rich!!! You can do it!!!!! (feel free to email if further [email protected].)
Aloha!

GoTravel Dec 16th, 2004 09:57 AM

How about renting a condo from VRBO.com? I would think a condo would be good for you all because you can cook your meals there cutting down on food costs which you would have with a hotel room.

You can go to seafood markets or go to local marinas and buy your seafood fresh.

girlonthego Dec 16th, 2004 10:07 AM

Let me say that you are a very nice dad. I hope you all have a great trip.

GloriaE Dec 16th, 2004 10:57 AM

GoTravel's suggestion of a rental from www.VRBO.com is a good one. I did a quick check and if you were to stay on the Big Island of Hawaii, close to Volcanoes National Park (40 minutes approx.), the following three listings are for homes on the east side of the island and range between $400 and $480 for a whole week for four people.
With a house, you would be able to fix many of your meals. Besides the volcano, the east side is lush and beautiful - - Hilo town, waterfalls and Hawaii botanical gardens are all on the east side. Sand beaches and water activities are on the west side of the island (about a 2 1/2 hour drive), but you will have a rental car so you could explore at your leasure. I agree, you are a great dad! Have fun trip.

turn_it_on Dec 16th, 2004 11:51 AM

This is what I did on the Big Island at the end of September this year: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34542623. Very detailed trip report with lots of stuff to do that's free and wonderful! The Big Island has some fantastic beaches (don't let anyone tell you the BI "has no beaches", that's blatantly false), some of the best snorkeling I've done out of the BI, Maui, and Kauai, wonderful naturally heated pools, natural steam rooms, waterfalls, and jungle hiking, all of which is free.

And as everyone has said, Kilauea doesn't really "erupt", it oozes. And it may be a long and difficult walk to where it IS flowing when you are there, although it changes all the time and could possibly be flowing in an accessible place when you visit. Don't let the girls think it's going to be a scene of great eruptions in the air while virgins are sacrificed to the boiling lava!

And renting a condo/house is a GREAT way to stay, especially since you can cook your own meals, as eating in Hawaii can be expensive. You can rent condos/houses direct from owners at vrbo.com, or you can search the web for agencies. At this late date for a place in February, you may have slim pickings. Remember, a lot of the country will be snowed in and wants to escape to Hawaii in the winter! And with 7 nights, you should probably split your time between both sides of the island (Hilo/Volcano and Kona) to get both the volcano/waterfalls/jungles/warm pools in Hilo and the golden beaches/snorkeling in Kona/Kohala.

Where are you flying from? I would say that for wintertime at this late date for four people WITH a car, $2300 sounds pretty good.

And I love the guidebook &quot;Big Island Revealed&quot; by Andrew Doughty. It has <i>excellent</i> maps and tons of outdoor adventures and they tell you exactly how to get to all the cool places they talk about, which many books don't do, and there's lots of color photos. Their website, www.wizardpub.com, offers free aerial photos of all the hotels and condos on the island, and if you buy the book, it gives you a password to also view the reviews. The photos often go a long way in showing you what a property is really like, how close to the ocean it is, and what's nearby.

What do you mean by, &quot;...we can stay on base in the Volcano Natl Park&quot;?

love
roxy

vivi Dec 16th, 2004 12:18 PM

Volcano Nat'l Park has military vacation housing right smack inside the park:
Kilauea Military Camp.

suze Dec 16th, 2004 12:19 PM

My folks took our (all adult) family to Hawaii (Maui). It seemed to me what could have made it very expensive is if you did all the formal organized tours and activities (i.e., helicopter rides, snorkeling or whale watching cruises, luaus, shows, etc.).

So simply being in Hawaii, going to the beach, shopping at the Safeway for picnic lunches, visiting public gardens and historical sites, buy cheap snorkeling stuff, eating &quot;plate lunches&quot;, didn't need to be a budget-breaker.

pilgrim Dec 16th, 2004 06:05 PM

Have you considered priceline air tickets or room? Also pleasanthawaii.com. Biddingfortravel.com has a good bulletin board and can advise you. I think you might do better on the airfare package.

Have a great trip.

TxTravelPro Dec 16th, 2004 06:33 PM

Hey there... we always do Hawaii on a shoestring!
I rarely talk about it on this forum because it tends to irritate a few people.
We always stay at military housing, but I usually book it way in advance.
If you have a PX nearby get a lodging book. We want to stay at Bellows next time we go.
Even at the Hale Koa, we are able to eat food from the commissary and make trips to Hickam (sp?) and reload on snacks, cereal, milk and stuff.
Last time we were there we ate 'out' only once at McDonalds @ Pearl Harbor.
Since fine dining is not really part of our vacation criteria, we are cool with this. It allows us to take vacations when we really can't afford it.
I don't pay much for air travel though... so it is REALLY cheap.
Let me know if you want me to list some of the other military housing possibilities.
PS... where are you leaving from?

TxTravelPro Dec 16th, 2004 07:18 PM

Check out this site...
http://www.afvclub.com/index2.asp
I found it a while back and book marked it...

kmpordagee Dec 19th, 2004 06:20 AM

I'm weird, but I LOVE traveling on a shoestring! There's just something about the challenge of it! Plus when I was growing up we had NO $$ so I had to develop the skill!

We stay in Kona in a very nice 2 bdr. in Alii Villas booked through Sunquest Vacations. They are a property management company staffed by very nice people. Their site is very helpful. http://www.sunquest-hawaii.com/ We have always stayed there in the summer so the rates are lower when we stay but I believe that they were about $135 per night. I look for units that have been recently remodeled. They're usually nicer. You might be able to get by with a 1 bedroom to save $$. We have 3 kids to we do 2 bdr. plus a sofa bed. Just a thought.

We eat breakfast and dinner at the condo and usually eat out at lunch. We are not above doing McDonalds on vacation although we usually try some local places as well. Shop at the grocery store when you arrive and sign up for the discount card. Also, check for Costco locations before you leave home. That will save you lots!

Walmart is great for souvenirs. The price is right! Lots of other souvenirs are free. I pick up colored brochures at the airport, at restaurants we eat in, or at places we visit (like the national parks) and use them to make a scrapbook for the girls when we get home. These cost nothing. I also buy postcard with multiple small pictures on them for the scrapbooks. They're pretty inexpensive!

You can use the beaches at the resorts by asking for a beach access pass at the front gate. Free! Hiking is also free and our kids love to do it! Rent snorkel gear for the week from snorkel Bob's to get a good deal. You don't need to spend a lot of money in Hawaii to have a great time. You're there and that's the great part.

I also did a trip review of Oahu (north shore) and there were a few bargain tips in there. Here's the link: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

I hope that you're able to pull this off. It will be the trip of a lifetime! Traveling on a shoestring takes some creativity and some concessions (no spa treatments...oh well!), but it is just as fun. Have the girls help you with the planning - I'm sure that they can come up with some creative ideas too. Good luck!

atjaden Dec 20th, 2004 06:03 AM

WOW!!!
THANKS so much everyone....I did finally break down ( probably under family pressure) and book a trip to Oahu. I guess I figured we could go again someday for my daughter to &quot;see&quot; the volcano!

We got a 10 day 8 night trip for 4 to oahu for 2700.00 including hotels and airfare, but no car. The trip over to the BI was going to add at least 800.00 to our travel.

I am so happy there are nice people out there to help! I heard about the baby snatching this weekend through internet contacts and was apalled!!!

I am now going to repost and look for free stuff to do on Oahu! THANKS!!!

iamq Dec 20th, 2004 06:18 AM

atjaden,
Glad things worked out for you and your family. Be sure to go watch the waves on the north shore of Oahu. The next best thing to an erupting volcano!=-O
Have a great trip.
-Bill

makai1 Dec 20th, 2004 03:59 PM

Aloha atjaden,

The surf on the north shore should be great that time of year... pack a picnic and a few towels and hang out on Sunset Beach, Waimea, Haleiwa or Pipeline to watch the surfers... you'll love the action, and the kids will be in awe!!

Happy planning and Mele Kalikimaka!! ((R))