Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii, Kauai, Food (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-kauai-food-593552/)

monkeyking Feb 22nd, 2006 09:12 PM

Hawaii, Kauai, Food

Going to Kauai.
Any suggestions on good places to eat.

Thanks.

MrTraveler Feb 23rd, 2006 10:03 AM

What part of the island are you going to be on?? Are you looking for fancy schmancy or just any place with good food??

monkeyking Feb 23rd, 2006 01:39 PM

Will be there for a week, so looking for good places to eat all over the island including fancy schmancies.

Thanks

kangamom Feb 23rd, 2006 01:45 PM

We really enjoyed the food at Pacific Cafe the last time we went to Kauai. Although its very highly rated, its not really "fancy, schmancy" and the food was delicious. I guess I would compare to the type of food at Roy's or Alan Wong's.

tjbailey Feb 23rd, 2006 04:46 PM

My husband and I stopped for lunch at Scotty's Barbeque in the Kapaa area last month. Great drinks and very good food. We had the beef brisket, very impressed. We had been grilling fish every night at our condo, so the bbq was a welcome change of pace. Absolutely gorgeous ocean view and friendly service.

auntiemaria Feb 23rd, 2006 05:02 PM

Sorry, but A Pacific Cafe has been closed and gone for over a year now...

I second the vote for Scottys BBQ (even though some have posted that they were less than impressed with the food). More "good eats" in Kapa`a -- Olympic Cafe (B,L,D), Kountry Kitchen (B), Kaua`i Pasta (D), King & Thai (D), Norberto's El Cafe (D), Pono Market or L&L Drive-Inn (for traditional Hawaiian plate lunch), Hula Girls Bar & Grill (L, D), Hukilau Lanai (L, D).

We who live on Kaua`i and dine out often, graciously share our personal reviews with friends/neighbors. Even if they don't ask! :-d

Latest "iffy" reviews for Kapa`a mid-price dining spots, have been for Coconuts, Lemon Grass, and Wahooooo. When they're great, they're great; when they're not, you feel ripped off.

For fancy schmanies ("high maka-maka" in local-speak)...Roy's in Po`ipu, Dondero's or Tidepools at Hyatt Po`ipu, La Cascata at Princeville Hotel.

StephCar Feb 23rd, 2006 07:10 PM

auntiemaria--every time I read a post from you I picture you sitting out on a lanai, overlooking an ocean, and smelling the beautiful smells you find only in Kauai. You are so lucky to live there, but you probably know that.

Anyway...I did in fact have a wonderful meal at Lemongrass in Kapaa. Also love King and I Thai.

mzkat Feb 23rd, 2006 07:53 PM

In Po`ipu we enjoyed “Eat at Joe’s Café on the green”, “Keoki’s Paradise” and 'Po’Ipu Beach Broiler” Koloa, and the “Brick Oven Pizza” in Kalaheo.

We didn't have a bad meal on the island =)

MrTraveler Feb 24th, 2006 08:47 AM

L & L is great!! Ono Family Restaurant, Tip Top Cafe, and the Oki Diner are also outstanding!

RLS Feb 27th, 2006 09:07 PM

Stayed at the Hyatt and had lovely dinners at both Donderos and Tidepools. But my favorite place? Hamura's Saimen off of Rice Street. What a dive...but great saimen. Order the special, regular size, with two chicken skewers. About $8. Yummm! RLS

iamq Feb 27th, 2006 09:19 PM

Regarding Hamura's: No meal there is complete with a few orders of fried won-tons! They aren't even on the menu, but boy are they deeeelishus! Oh..and don't forget the lilikoi chiffon pie. It's da best.

-Bill

MrTraveler Feb 28th, 2006 07:14 AM

Forgot about Hamura's!! Outstanding!!

iceeu2 Feb 28th, 2006 04:41 PM

Last time we really liked Olympic Cafe and Kauai Pasta and Hukilau Lanai.

Neesie Mar 1st, 2006 03:05 PM

Whoever recommended the Oki Diner should have their head examined! I would love to have the Health Department check on what goes on in their kitchen. It was filthy and the food was sub-par. Avoid at all costs!

iamq Mar 1st, 2006 04:25 PM

Neesie,

I agree with you about the Oki Diner. We had the most bizarre meal that I've ever had in my life. That was on our first trip. Now, everytime we drive by we make gagging sounds and crack up.

-Bill

valerie99 Mar 2nd, 2006 07:33 PM

We just had breakfast at the Oki diner on Saturday. Certainly doesn't rate up there with Gaylords or the Hyatt, but the pancakes with coconut syrup were delish.