Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii just too far? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-just-too-far-539949/)

ftrain Jun 27th, 2005 05:06 PM

Hawaii just too far?

I need a reality check. I've been to Europe, but have never taken a flight as long as to Hawaii from the East coast. We have an East coast wedding coming up in August, and we're worried about the Caribbean during August (thus also the Caribbean coast) due to hurricanes. My girl's dream honeymoon was always Hawaii. But we would only have one week at most. If we left Sunday morning and returned on the red eye the following Sunday night (arriving Monday morning) is that realistically just too long a trip for such a short time? We would have essentially 6.5 days on the ground, and a ton of time in the air in one week. Part of me loves the idea for the surprise. But it seems too far.

Also, for someone who wants a beach more than anything, is there any resort on the West coast of Mexico (Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco aren't options) that has a nice enough beach to suffice for relaxation purposes even if it lacks in the "turquoise water" department?

MelissaHI Jun 27th, 2005 05:27 PM

You know, if it's your girl's dream to go to Hawaii for a honeymoon, I say go for it. If that were my dream, I'd be overwhelmed to have my fiance surprise me with it, even if it were for 6.5 days.

I live in Hawaii and used to have a boyfriend that lived in New York. I guess that 12-hour flight time just didn't faze me since I was in love. And, now that I'm in love with Europe, flying for 18-21 hours doesn't faze me either. What's a few hours in the air when you're in love? :X

dusty56438 Jun 27th, 2005 05:27 PM

Even though Hawaii is so far from the east coast, many do come here from the east coast for only a week. You can have a great time in Hawaii in a week.

But, your mentioning "wanting a beach more than anything" cautions me to think that would be your main objective to goint to Hawaii. If that is the case, there are good beaches in Florida

sandyca Jun 27th, 2005 05:44 PM

Hawaii is great, I go several times a year, The thing to remember is stay on one island if you have such a short time. Don't try to fit two in or you will regret it. I have also been to British Virgin islands many times and think its even better. Mexico has pretty beaches, but you always risk getting sick. The Virgin Island may be risky weather. If hawaii is the dream you have to provide it. I had a dream of tahiti for my 20 anniversary and my man is very smart and made it happen as a surprise, eventhough we were only there for 6 nights after 10 hr flight each way, it was perfect! good luck

sandyca Jun 27th, 2005 05:46 PM

ftrain, also mexico at that time of year on the western area is very hot! the temp is usually 90 +. Have you considered Bermuda or Costa Rica?

gyppielou Jun 27th, 2005 06:39 PM

Ftrain, best wishes on your plans. This August? Surprise? This is just me, but I think 2 people entering into marraige should talk about their dreams and expectations and both should be part of the decision making process. However, If she truly wants you to surprise her, and also told you she has ALWAYS dreamed about Hawaii....then just go for it. There are simpler destinations, Bermuda, BVI....If you decide to surprise her or together decide to go for it in Hawaii, pick one island, and get the earliest, most direct flight. Reality check, I've been visiting Hawaii every 18 months for quite a few years,from the east coast. To me it feels like home when I land. The air the flora, fauna, lava rock and aloha spirit, which is real and true and not just a tourist ploy. Maui will most likely give you the best options on hotels in many price ranges and beaches. Good luck with everything. /sure we'll be talking here again! G'lou

ftrain Jun 27th, 2005 07:47 PM

I'm curious, are the waters in Hawaii blue like the Caribbean, or are they more blue like the West coast of Mexico? I mean, I know it's the Pacific, but I'm just trying to work all this out. I've never quite understood why she's always said her dream was Hawaii, but she would take the Caribbean as a back-up given our limited time, but she wasn't interested in any Pacific coast places like the West coast of Mexico, or Baja, or Costa Rica because the water is too dark. Does that make any sense?

annikany Jun 28th, 2005 03:22 AM

I think you should go for it. I've traveled all that way to spend only 4 nights and it was worth it. I'd do it again! Yes it's a long way from the east coast but you gain 5 or 6 hours off the bat. The flights to Hawaii aren't bad. Once you hit the ocean from California it goes by fast. Last time I flew there I saw the hoover dam and the channel islands from the plane. What a sight. And there is something special about seeing the hawaiian islands pop into view from the plane. I think it would be a wonderful start to the rest of your life. How romantic! I've been to Puerto Vallarta it's very nice but it doesn't even compare to Hawaii. The beaches in Hawaii are the best. They are a deep blue - Hawaiian blue as I like to call it. Go for the dream Honeymoon! You're very sweet to think of it so you know it would go over BIG!

JohnD Jun 28th, 2005 03:52 AM

<font color="blue">ftrain</font>,
My understanding is that the water color is influenced by the sand underneath. Hawaii has more golden sand than the white sand beaches of the Caribbean and the water generally appears to be darker in blue, however the windward coast of Oahu beaches such as <font color="turquoise"> Lanikai</font> and <font color="turquoise">Kailua</font> have lighter sand and water closer to resembling the Caribbean.
((P))Links:
<font color="blue">www.pangaea.to/lanikai/photogallery/index.htm</font>
<font color="blue">www.hawaii.com/visit/oahu/images/virtualtours/index.php</font>
:S-
For a week's ((o)) stay would choose Hawaii in a ((L))beat over Mexico&lt;):) for a :xhoneymoon, and recommend taking a non-stop flight from the east coast.

Samsaf Jun 28th, 2005 04:12 AM

We just returned from a one-week trip to Kauai (from Atlanta). I would always prefer to stay in Hawaii longer, but this time it wasn't an option. And we had a wonderful time! We left on a Saturday and returned on the overnight flight the next Saturday (getting into Atlanta on Sunday morning). I think Hawaii is definitely worth the long flight.

karens Jun 28th, 2005 04:50 AM

We did Hawaii in a week, flying from PHL. I am not aware of any non-stops from the east coast, maybe NY? Everyone we were there with had to change planes (we went on a business trip).

We did two islands b/c the trip was in Maui and I've wanted to see Kauai for forever. I move faster than the average person, but I wouldn't have wanted to miss Kauai for Maui, yet I think a week on Kauai may have been a bit too long. I guess it depends on your travel style, but two islands in one week was doable for us - not the perfect way - but doable.

ftrain Jun 28th, 2005 04:55 AM

I'm probably opening a bad can of worms asking this follow up, but which island would you go to? I know nothing about Hawaii. I would love to see an erupting volcano, that's all I know. And obviously I need to stay in a place with a great beach. Any advice? My budget will be strained mightily by this, so I have to consider that, too--i.e., my understanding is that Maui is expensive, so maybe that won't work.

JohnD Jun 28th, 2005 05:16 AM

The &quot;Big Island&quot; of Hawaii is the only place you have a chance to see oozing <font color="red">lava</font>, not violently erupting. How constrained is your budget$)?

Suggest Waikoloa Beach Marriott or Hapuna Beach Prince go around 200/nite.
:S-
Other options for less than 200 but less in the way of a beach/amenities, if interested please inquire.

annikany Jun 28th, 2005 05:42 AM

ftrain -
JohnD ir right about the beaches at Kailua and Lanikai on Oahu. They are more caribbean like. Especially Kailua. Kailua state park is my absolute favorite beach. It's been voted one of the ten best beaches by Traveler magazine. I understand your budget concerns. My husband and I like the island of Oahu. There is a lot more to this island than Waikiki. We like to stay in Kailua. It's an upscale residential neighborhood. It is only a 1/2 hour / 45 minute drive to Waikiki and an absolutely beautiful drive it is! In Kailua we have rented units from the allerstorfer family. They have units available on the beach and across the street from the beach. Some for less than $100.00 a night. We stayed a the Mokulua studio across the street for 79.00 a night. They usually rent for 7 night stays only but even if you paid for the 7th night you'd still make out good. The units are all nice check out this website.

[email protected]
www.Kailuabeach.net
www.Kailuabeachrentals.com

I'll pass along another web site address for you to look at when I find it. It's rentals from the same family but different units.

annikany Jun 28th, 2005 05:57 AM

ftrain- here's the other web address
http://www.hawaiibestrentals.com/
Good luck!

iamq Jun 28th, 2005 05:59 AM

ftrain,
I don't think Maui is more expensive than other islands. There are many expensive places, but there are also many mid-priced places that are great.

Kaanapali Beach Hotel - located on a great section of Kaanapali Beach. Low key hotel. Not a luxury property.

Maui Prince - Quiet location, good restaurants, great beach, small pool, not a mega-resort.

Napili Kai Beach Club - In Napili which is a quiet area north of Kaanapali. Napili Kai is another older, low key place with lots of aloha.

Lots and lots of condos too.

On the Big Island, the Mauna Kea is celebrating 40 years in business and they have special rates that are a great value. $345 for an oceanview room. It is on what some say is the best beach in Hawaii.
I would suggest visiting one island.

-Bill

sandyca Jun 28th, 2005 06:15 AM

Hi ftrain, in answer to your question re water color, hawaii water is dark, it is clear, but dark. Nothing like caribbean. If you are picturing the white sand, and water that you see in virgin islands or bahamas, it is not the same. The sand is gold, water darker blue, there are beautiful beaches. I love Hawaii and go often because I live in California and it is closer, However if the Caribbean beaches were the same distance snorkeling more colorful. I would choose them because of their awesome sand and water color. If you choose Hawaii, the Volcano on the Big Island doesn't always ooze, you may not see any eruption. However the beaches and snorkeling are the best on this island. Lots of turtles. Stay on the Kohalo coast area The Mauna Kea, or Hapuna prince are nice with reasonable prices. This island is very large and you could spend a lot of time driving. Maui is very nice, stay in Wailea or Makena area. Enjoy. Buy the &quot;maui revealed&quot; guide book if you go to maui.

girlonthego Jun 28th, 2005 06:52 AM

We are going to Hawaii next april and have 9 nights. We are traveling from the east coast and changing planes and bringing two kids! I think a week is doable for two adults. Fly direct from Newark if that is close enough. I believe Continental has a direct flight. I believe you can fly direct to Maui as well as Oahu from Newark. Maui would be more honeymoon like. We are going to Oahu and Kaui. I have been to Oahu and Maui. Kaui is supposedly beautiful and probably what your bride is imagining. I think they filmed movies like South Pacific there. It has the waterfalls and all the flora/fauna. There is a gorgeous Hyatt there rich in charm of yesteryear. We are staying at the Marriott-(on pts). Good luck.

ilovetulips Jun 28th, 2005 06:58 AM

I've never been to Hawaii, but everyone I know who has been there adores it. My lifelong dream was to visit Paris and my husband and I did that about 3 weeks ago. You only get 1 honeymoon (hopefully). Make your bride's dream a reality! You won't regret it.

Tiff Jun 28th, 2005 08:00 AM

Hi ftrain,

I saw you post on the Carib board, I think you are wise to look into Hawaii especially if that is where your sweetie has dreamt of going, and you have more of a guarantee for better weather.

You will be so tired from the wedding that you will sleep on the plane so don't worry about the long flight. I have never (NEVER) been able to really sleep on planes and after my husband and I got married, I was so exhausted I slept the entire flight, no beverage service, no peanuts, lol, I was out until we landed.

During one visit, we stayed in the Mokopu Beach Rooms at the Renaissance Wailea on Maui during one of our stays, it was heavenly, we have stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz's etc, and we enjoyed this hotel VERY much, great value. I have been to the Carib twice and Hawaii twice, and while I enjoyed the Carib, there is nothing like Hawaii, it is enchanting and very romantic.

The water... it is beautiful. I think of it more as intense blues and greens the deeper you go. It is clear when you are shallow, and then gets bluer and greener. It is lovely. I would compare the Carib by stating the Carib has whiter sand and clear and then light blue waters. Hawaii has more light golden sand. Both are lovely. You will not be disappointed, it is very picturesque.

There is alot of info here and we are happy to answer questions.

Let us know what you decide, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Tiff