Search

Hawaii Itinerary Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Itinerary Suggestions

Dear All,

Thanks so much for the suggestions thus far for my upcoming trip. We're spending 3 days in Oahu (Waikiki) and then 4 days in Maui (Kihei).

Any suggestions for itineraries? We are very strong snorkellers and would prefer to spend a lot of time snorkelling. However, hiking and hang gliding are two things we'd like to check out as well. We definitely want to see Haleakala sunrise, Road to Hana, Hanuama Bay, Pearl Harbor, and the North Shore of Oahu. I've heard conflicting views about the quality of snorkelling at Molokini Crater - can anyone vouch for this experience?

Also, any cheap and great dining options would be very much appreciated.

Thanks much!

DKG50
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With Pearl Harbor, Hanuama Bay, and a trip to the North Shore, you won't have all that much extra time to fill on Oahu. Maybe hike DiamondHead?

My favorite cheap eats in Waikiki (no contest!) is the Blue Water Shrimp truck parked on Kuhio, between Launiu & Kaiolu. For $10.25 you get a full meal, same as the trucks at the beaches other places around the island (this is in a parking lot, being in Waikiki and all -lol!). Get the food to go and head down to Fort de Russey park nearby, or eat on picnic tables right there.

Places that come well-recommended but have not been to myself yet:
Irifune (563 Kapahulu)
Kapahalo Chop Suey (?? Kapahulu)
Ono Hawaiian Foods (726 Kapahulu)
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM

I personally wouldn't bother with Molokini; there's lots of snorkeling closer in (for free!), right offshore, and I found the experience to be underwhelming (and the diesel fuel from all the boats overwhelming). Haleakala sunrise is a no-brainer (meaning, if you have a brain, skip the frigid cold, dark drive in the middle of the night, nothing to see because of fog, and do afternoon-to-sunset-stars instead).
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I would agree with skipping Molokini. While it was a pleasant trip there wasn't anything out there we couldn't find off shore.
I would disagree with sunrise however. We went prepared for the cold (and yes it was COLD) but we were also treated to a very spectacular sunrise. Worth it in our eyes. I know alot of people are reallly split on this so this is just my two cents. Afternoon may be just as good....haven't done it.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
dmlove

I agree with those who think the sunrise trip to Haleakala was spectacular and worth getting up at 3 a.m. and bundling up for. The first time we went, we were a little too late and it was quite fogged in, so we got up even earlier a few days later and WOW!!

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Go to sunrise on Haleakala ... it IS worth it (I've been later in the day as well.) What you do is have the hotel concierge check the weather conditions before you leave the hotel (or call the weather yourself) to avoid driving up, and finding yourself fogged in.

You know that drive to Hana will take 1/4 of your days on Maui ... I would think twice about spending all that time in the car, especially if you're at all prone to motion sickness. I don't think it's worth it, with all the other beauty on Maui to see.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM

We did the bike ride down Haleakala and it was so much fun. We were picked up at our condo at 2am, taken to the company's office and fed a continental breakfast and then loaded up in the vans for the dark drive up the hill. They outfitted us with gortex gear to stay warm in the frigid cold of the night. You could aways go back to the van to warm up during the "wait". We watched the sunrise and then rode down the hill, stopping occasionally to peal off clothing. At the end, we had a wonderful breakfast and then were driven back to our condo.....an experience not to miss. If you choose to drive up yourself, be sure to take warm clothing....blankets from your hotel room help too.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
dmlove

blankets from your hotel room help too.

Seriously, we did this 30 years ago when we were on a camping trip, and we took our sleeping bags with us (and needed them!)