Hawaii itinerary...?

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Hawaii itinerary...?

OK, I have literally been researching and planning for about 8 hours today. I know, I know, you're supposed to hang loose in Hawaii. But planning is a part of the fun

Here's what I have so far:

Day One - Arrive on a Friday afternoon approx 2:00 p.m. Will pick up rental car and head to Sheraton Princess Kaiulani until Sunday. Planning to "hang loose" and have dinner in Waikiki. Considering Nick's Fish Market for dinner.

Day Two - Hike Diamonhead. Return to hotel to change clothes then drive the island counterclockwise with plans to stop at Hananuma (sp?) bay and other scenic areas. Dinner at Hula Grill.

Day Three - Go to Boots and Kimo's for breakfast. Head for Pearl Harbor and then Aloha swap meet. Return car to Ala Moana location and head to ship late Sunday afternoon.

Cruise Days 1 & 2 (Kauai) - considering renting a car and driving the island day one. For day two, might take a helicopter or air tour that morning before the ship leaves at 1:00

Day 3 (Hilo) - have read that VNP is a do not miss. Not sure whether to rent a car or schedule through the cruise line. We are not interested in any type of hiking (Diamondhead will be enough) so not sure how much time we want to spend there.

Day 4 (Kona) - have read that we should try snorkeling with Capt Zodiak. We are not swimmers, so unsure.

Day 5 & 6 (Maui) - rental car through Thrifty. Planning to drive part of Road to Hana early in the day. Have done it before so not interested in entire trip. Depending on how long this takes us, we may return to the ship for lunch until about 2:00 and head to Lahaina where we will partake of a luau that evening. Just not sure which luau at this time. Will book in a few days after more research. Next day we will drive up to Haleakala, visit the Wailea/Kihie area, and maybe have dinner at Mama's.

Day 7 (Oahu) - Hang out at Aloha Tower mktplace, lunch at Don Ho's, take a taxi to airport.

How does this sound?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM

it sounds jamb packed to me, but I'll top this post for you anyways ;-)
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I'm curious to know what kind of cruise you are going on that has that much time at each island?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM

The 3 NCL "Prides" (Pride of Aloha, Pride of Hawai`i, Pride of America) all have the same stops -- but in different order.

Depart Honolulu
Kaua`i - arrive 8a.m.; depart next day after lunch
Hilo - all day
Kona - all day
Maui - arrive 8a.m.; depart next night after dinner
Return to Honolulu
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM

I'm going to assume that the itinerary you posted is serious. If that assumption is correct, please consider that an "if it's Tuesday this must be Nawiliwili" itinerary completely misses the point of visiting Hawaii. Hawaii isn't about "itineraries" or checking off lists of sights with a stopwatch in hand. Hawaii is about relaxation, enjoying the tropical breezes and fragrant flowers, and renewing your spirit. An itinerary like yours will leave you utterly exhausted.

Please reconsider your plans in light of the foregoing. To whiz through four islands in seven days, you'll be spending nearly all your time in airport security queues and car rental queues, and then hurrying even faster to get back on schedule (especially since many of the places you mention are on slow, narrow roads).

Your vacation is up to you. But my answer to your question "How does this sound?" is Insane.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM

JBH- This is a cruise I believe, not an air/ island hopping adventure.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

This is a cruise and I have been to the islands twice before. So for me, it is not insane. Relaxing for me, is doing what I want to do...when I want to do it. An itinerary (while I use the term loosely) helps me have some kind of idea of how to start my day. I typically start out with a plan, and then let the day fall as it may.

I'll have someone with me that has never been. Neither of us are beachgooers or really nature lovers. Meaning, no hiking or anything like that will happen. If we do Diamonhead, that will be it for life...LOL

So, for us vacation is a combination of resting and learning about new places.

Mahalo.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM
iceeu2

I make plans too skater! We don't always follow them, but at least I make them. The real icee loves it when he asks what we are going to do for the day, and I have some idea of what we are doing!

I figure I can relax when I go back to work!! I may never get to Hawaii again!

Keep planning!

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Yeah icee,

I just like being away from the office. Don't have to be there at a particular time, can wear what I want, etc. Noone telling me they need me in meetings, etc. Just thinking about it makes me long for Paradise. The mental relaxation alone is enough.

If I don't make plans, BF will have us missing the boat, the plane, and anything else ;-)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Regarding day 3: If you are visiting the Volcanoes National Park, taking an organized tour will take you around the caldera and it will be spectacular ... but for the real rush, seeing red lava flow enter the ocean cannot be beat. Feeling the heat of the lava on your face and watching it drop into the ocean is a sensation unlike any other ... I would do the at Volcanoes rather than Diamond Head ... though this is my personal opinion .. story of our hike below ...
http://www.seetheglobe.com/modules/w...cid=21&lid=321
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Hey sk84fungirl, I love making itineraries for my Hawaiian trips! Your itinerary does not sound insane to me at all. Live it up, you can sleep at home.

DO NOT miss Boots & Kimos for Breakfast. If you're open to eating lunch in Lahaina try Aloha Mixed Plate. Great view, drinks, Loco Moco and Lau Lau.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:42 PM

At first I was going to say that Boots & Kimo's for breakfast would put you on the wrong side of the island to get to Pearl Harbor efficiently. But I forgot about H-3 freeway. You know about H-3, right? that links the Windward side of Oahu with Central Oahu very quickly.

I haven't posted our coupons for Aloha Tower Marketplace online yet--although you can get a hard copy at our Guest Services kiosk. If you haven't already, feel free to email me at info at alohatower.com or naupaka at hotmail.com and I'll email you our coupon sheet. Many fodorites have emailed me this week for the coupons!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Melissa!

Yes, we will use H-3. I believe that is the hwy that cuts across the island. I'll have to look at a map. Seems like I would take H-3 coming back, but take something else to get there. Pali Hwy maybe? Not sure. I'm sure I'll find the right path from Fodorites before I leave. On my way up or back, I also want to stop at the "lookout". Again, I need to research and map out the drive.

My request for coupons is on the way...
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:46 AM

If you're staying in Waikiki, the easiest way to Kailua is Pali Hwy. You can stop at the Pali Lookout on the way over.

From Kailua, the fastest way to Pearl Harbor is H-3.

To return to Waikiki from Aloha Stadium area, you should take the H-1 freeway.

Maybe I'm just not very bright, but I found the freeway signs on Oahu to be confusing. One sign said "Honolulu - East" and one sign said "East." The "Honolulu - East" meant I could drive to Hawaii Kai. The "East" sign meant I can get to Kaneohe. According to the map I had, Kaneohe isn't anywhere near Hawaii Kai. But whateva!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:33 AM

sk84fungirl, your coupons are in your inbox! too funny. I got a lot of requests for coupons this week!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Melissa,

Thank you for being so good to us!!!!

Have a great day.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Melissa,

I've made a few changes to our plans since the ship will no longer dock at the Aloha Tower pier.

Here are the changes:

Cruise Days 1 & 2 (Kauai) - Not sure what to do on Day One in Kauai. Was originally planning to rent a car and drive the island. May just get off and enjoy areas near the pier. Need to do more research to find out what is near the pier and will then decide whether or not to rent a car. The thing is, we know we don't want to keep it overnight in Kauai. The next day the ship leaves at 1:00. So we are taking the 9:00 sightseeing flight with Air Ventures. Figure that will have us back to the pier about 11:00. Will have about an hour or so to walk around and get back to ship for lunch.

Day 3 (Hilo) - have booked two excursions through NCL. VNP and Mau Gardens/Akaka falls. Will likely do the later.

Day 4 (Kona) - Thinking of just getting off the ship and hanging loose. Have read that we should try snorkeling with Capt Zodiak. We are not swimmers, so unsure.

Day 5 & 6 (Maui) - rental car through Thrifty. Planning to drive part of Road to Hana early in the day. Grab a sandwich in Paia on the way back. Have gone on the road all away around before, so not interested in entire thing. We will then head to Lahaina and Kannapali (Whaler's Village) to hang out for a little bit. Next day we will drive up to Haleakala, go to Swap Meet since it is a Saturday and then visit the Wailea/Kihie area. Would like to have a really nice dinner since this is our last night in Hawaii. Thinking about making reservations for a 5:30 dinner a Mama's.

Day 7 (Oahu) - rent a car. Hang out at Aloha including lunch at Don Ho's. Visit Hawaiian accessories in Ala Moana for some Koa wood jewelry. Head to airport to return car for 3:00. Flight is at 5:30 back to Atlanta.

How does this sound?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Melissa, sorry...the previous post is a general one, not directed to you.

I wanted to let you know that I will still visit Aloha tower marketplace. Thanks again for the coupons.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Not a problem! Looking forward to the trip.....
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I think planning is always a good idea. Especially when on a cruise, other wise by the time you figure out what is fun to do in that port it is all ready booked or itís time for you to get back on the ship.

Air Ventures is a great choice. Wonderful way to see the whole island in during your short stay. There is some shopping an a mediocre beach at Nawiliwili harbor. I would recommend getting a car if you can afford it. There are so many beautiful places to go on Kauai. There are some good tours that leave from the harbor if you donít want to deal with the trouble of renting a car. We booked our tours with Kauai Discount Activities right out side of the harbor at the aloha center [email protected]!

Have fun in paradise!

Ally

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO